2.0 t heat
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By M5eater
  • 1 Post By roadpie4u
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, 2.0 t heat in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Hey Folks! Just wondering about the heat on the little turbo 4. The car runs good, temp seems to be ...
    RemaxAl is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD

2.0 t heat

Hey Folks! Just wondering about the heat on the little turbo 4. The car runs good, temp seems to be normal according to the heat gage but you could cook an egg on the hood. I drove the ATS home from work, it was parked in my garage,went out to grab a pint out of the fridge in the garage an hour later. I put my hand on the hood it was still tropical. Normal?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

EnvoyBu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6L Premium Collection

Re: 2.0 t heat

Quote Originally Posted by RemaxAl View Post
    Hey Folks! Just wondering about the heat on the little turbo 4. The car runs good, temp seems to be normal according to the heat gage but you could cook an egg on the hood. I drove the ATS home from work, it was parked in my garage,went out to grab a pint out of the fridge in the garage an hour later. I put my hand on the hood it was still tropical. Normal?
    What was the temperature and cloud amount (partly, very, clear, etc.) outside and what color ATS do you have?

Darker Colors + Bright Sun + High Temperatures = Hot Hood (and car).

What kind of pint did you grab?

Bertha D Blues is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I’m always mindful of the heat that passes through the turbo and plan for its cool down before shutting off the engine. My normal commute allows slow easy driving for the last mile or so that lets the turbo cool. But one day, I was turning into my driveway and decided to see how fast I could go before shutting down and hitting the garage door. (My driveway is almost 300 yards long so I’m not a total nutcase, am I?) After closing the garage door while not allowing a sufficient cool down time, I could smell something cooking. I suspected that it was something near the turbo. I didn’t touch the hood as you did but I restarted the car and let it idle in the driveway for a while to cool off.

For what it’s worth I managed to reach 52 mph before braking. That was a little disappointing. My 4,400-lb Thunderbird with Cruise-O-Matic and its secondaries disconnected hit 55. And, I had to lift sooner in the T-bird because of its drum brakes. Bert

mikesul is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T manual Thunder Gray

I have noticed that all turbo engined cars are very hot under the hood. I really would like a vented C-F hood for my ATS as I plan to develop much more HP and that will mean even more heat under the hood.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by mikesul View Post
    I have noticed that all turbo engined cars are very hot under the hood. I really would like a vented C-F hood for my ATS as I plan to develop much more HP and that will mean even more heat under the hood.
    D/I engines run a fair bit more hot in the cylinder head. That's because with D/I there's no fuel spray to cool down the intake valves in the cylinder. Which then contributes to carbon buildup of course.

I almost started to remove the engine cover but, I have mixed thoughts given there's then nothing to prevent the heat from going straight to the paint. It's not a bland sheet of plastic at least, and the LTG's valve cover is a nest of cooler and PCV passages anyway.

instead I switched to synthetic motor oil. I still really wish there was an oil temp gauge in the DIC.

Bertha D Blues is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    I still really wish there was an oil temp gauge in the DIC.
    I agree. Torque Pro has an oil temperature display option but I've never tried it so I don't know if that specific data is available. Even if it is, it's not as convenient as the DIC. Bert

Quote Originally Posted by Bertha D Blues View Post
    I agree. Torque Pro has an oil temperature display option but I've never tried it so I don't know if that specific data is available. Even if it is, it's not as convenient as the DIC. Bert
    what gives me hope is CUE and Gm releasing SDK's for this thing.

IE, how about an app that displaces all kind of hidden ECU information, ie a built-in data logger?
    Bertha D Blues likes this.

roadpie4u is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 M6 FE3

Most (if not all) sensor parameters should be available on the J1939 bus which the dash uses to begin with. The only reason we don't have "digital gauges" in the DIC (which the press cars had a digital option to show boost, btw) is because it isn't enabled in the software. If we push GM hard enough, hopefully they'll enable those options.
    M5eater likes this.

mikesul is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T manual Thunder Gray

Oil temp and pressure, and boost would be great displayed on the CUE screen. IAT's would be nice also.

Just going to add this here.

the heat generated was enough to melt a very small portion of the insulation under the engine cover.

I think I'll use my temp probe to see if there's really a significant difference with it on and off.

RemaxAl is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD

I'm a silver coast metallic ATS. Just checking to see if is normal. Not familiar with gas turbo engines.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.