Explain to me this apparent loss of power?
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Explain to me this apparent loss of power? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Stopped at a light. Light changed to green and I accelerated into a right turn. However, it never felt like ...
    flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

Explain to me this apparent loss of power?

Stopped at a light. Light changed to green and I accelerated into a right turn. However, it never felt like the car was accelerating. This was a momentary event as when trying to accelerate afterwards, the car moved very nicely.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

bluecrayon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None
    I don't know if this is the same thing but I noticed a couple times slowing down at a light and the punch it when it turns green....seemed to have a bit of a lag for a second or 2 then goes. Almost felt like it was going to stall for a second. I asked the service manager and he said its normal and they all do that. He said there's a slight delay because of the drive by wire throttle rather than having a throttle cable. Not sure I believe that, but ok.

tonka9 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 4 Premium 3.6

Re: Explain to me this apparent loss of power?

Wow, that sounds like it could be dangerous. I don't believe the drive by wire story either. Electrons are pretty fast.
    I am happy to say I have never had this problem with my V6 ATS4.

Siren05 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T RWD. 2011 STI Hatchback.

I find that when I mash gas pedal to the floor the car kinda does not rip as much, when I gradually push
    Pedal down as boost builds its much more intense pull. Same thing as my STI IT'S TURBO ENGINES

flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

I don't think I was mashing the pedal to the metal, but rather just an accelerating turn. The car seemed to take the whole turn in just one gear and at a constant velocity.

terrific is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 T Standard

I have a 2.0T Automatic and mine does the same thing. It's really annoying. Everyday making the same right turn I let off the gas for about 3 seconds while making the turn and when I get back on it feels like it's stuck in a gear and slowly / agonizingly moves from about 1700rpm to 2.5. Now after all this happens, either the turbo will kick in and it will jerk up to speed quickly or it will downshift and get power back. It makes me look like i'm a crazy driver from the outside. I've learned to live with it as I've seen others on here complaining about it. This happens in either sport or comfort.

Fraggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Under 2000rpm it has NO power, very weird. I have to downshift all the time to avoid it.

CZ4
    CZ4 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 Turbo

I'm starting to believe this is the norm. There's a few other threads about hesitation/bogging.

It's so strange. It seems to only happen when you quickly let off the gas and get back on again. I need to do more testing. If I start from a line, it powers through all gears quickly with lots of power.

General Lee 01 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T, MT, RWD, BNR TUNE, WHITE DIAMOND
    Could this be the traction control and/or the stability control system taking over? Can you get this issue to repeat after turning off these systems?

I don't think so. I'll try it with TC off. How do you turn off Stability control?

General Lee 01 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T, MT, RWD, BNR TUNE, WHITE DIAMOND
    Same button. Just have to hold it down for about 5 seconds. You will see the 2 different orange warning lights illuminate on the dash.

Yplus is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS4 Turbo

If you have the auto, it loves to upshift the tranny as soon as you lift off the throttle so it has the least amount of drag on the driveline during coasting. When you get back on the gas it will usually still be in the "too high" gear and depending on whether you push hard on the pedal or softly it will either hold that gear to build boost smoothly, or drop down a gear or two which kind of jerks the car a little. It's all to save every last drop of gas.

From a standstill, it could be turbo lag or traction control. Accelerating hard from a stop into a turn would seem to me to be traction control related. You can check if it's turbo lag by keeping your left foot on the brake pedal for a 1/2 second while you hit the accelerator. If the car leaps forward, it was lag....

Quote Originally Posted by Yplus View Post
    If you have the auto, it loves to upshift the tranny as soon as you lift off the throttle so it has the least amount of drag on the driveline during coasting. When you get back on the gas it will usually still be in the "too high" gear and depending on whether you push hard on the pedal or softly it will either hold that gear to build boost smoothly, or drop down a gear or two which kind of jerks the car a little. It's all to save every last drop of gas.

From a standstill, it could be turbo lag or traction control. Accelerating hard from a stop into a turn would seem to me to be traction control related. You can check if it's turbo lag by keeping your left foot on the brake pedal for a 1/2 second while you hit the accelerator. If the car leaps forward, it was lag....

Thanks this helps quite a bit. It's infuriating when you need that power. I guess i'll always have to use manual. I should have opted for those paddle shifters.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.