GM Oil Change?
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, GM Oil Change? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I just called to see about getting my oil changed at the dealer I bought from, car has 5200mi and ...
    bluhaven is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 luxury ATS 2.0 Turbo 6sp auto

GM Oil Change?

I just called to see about getting my oil changed at the dealer I bought from, car has 5200mi and the dic shows 26%. They told me GM doesn't pay for the oil change unless your at 20% or less, is this what everyone else is finding from there dealer?

Kevin

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

romanats is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ats

Re: GM Oil Change?

they told me the same thing bring it in when you have 20%

bungee91 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Opulent ATS 2.0T Premium Manual
    My first oil change they did it earlier, without much fuss (I asked if they would) . However after that they stated under 20%.

jeffroeson is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS Metallic Silver, 2.0L Turbo, Performance, Morello Red

My first change was done at 50% to accommodate CUE update and couple other minor warranty items. I was not told or asked that it had to be at 20%. A couple hundred more miles and you should be there. I'm not concerned if it took 6000 miles to get at 20% for my driving style. I always check oil every two weeks.

sqkid89 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Performance RWD

I had mine done at the same time as my CUE update as well. I think I was right around the 20% mark, but they didn't mention anything since it saved them having to schedule another service visit

westcoastats is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

Same for me 20 percent or less

gfxbt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T MT
    Interesting. I did it myself at 5000 miles. DIC said 36%. I asked the dealer about it when I had them relearn my tire pressure monitors. They said that 7000-8000 miles without an oil change was normal. Too long for me. What interested me was that he said to check the oil regularly to make sure there was "enough." Can't imagine an engine in this era (other than a rotary) would burn oil. Free oil changes is nice, but I'm not waiting 7000 miles.

Vernon Cooke is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I paid the dealer for the oil change at 1K miles during the CUE update.

Good use of the $50 gift card.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by gfxbt View Post
    Interesting. I did it myself at 5000 miles. DIC said 36%. I asked the dealer about it when I had them relearn my tire pressure monitors. They said that 7000-8000 miles without an oil change was normal. Too long for me. What interested me was that he said to check the oil regularly to make sure there was "enough." Can't imagine an engine in this era (other than a rotary) would burn oil. Free oil changes is nice, but I'm not waiting 7000 miles.
    the GM OLM is backed by dozens of UOA's saying it's pretty spot on in reporting on oil life remaning sans some problems where adjustments have been made to account for timing chain wear in some engines, which arguably is a defect of the chain design.

I typically run into a year before I get down to 20%, but I wouldn't have any qualms about running GM's Dexos 1 product down so low. GL5 oils are highly advanced these days, and the stuff GM pours into your cadillac, while not as great as an OTS synthetic, isn't the cheapest bargin conventional either.

Personally, I'll have them change the oil early, and then run on the OLM or yearly changes with an OTS synthetic.

Can't imagine an engine in this era (other than a rotary) would burn oil.
    It is very common for a new engine to burn a little oil. Besides this, everyone from the LFX to EA888, to the subaru boxer engines will tell you that they can burn a moderate to signifcant amount of oil. Piston ring technology hasn't fundamentally changed for the last few decades. Tolerances have, but so has compression and effeciency, and other factors. Most engine's don't burn oil, some do, most of which I find are the higher performing ones (Imagine having a S85 V10 in a 100K M5 burn oil, for example) . Those are the facts.

Thunder Gray STS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium
    I ran a 94 Dodge Ram V10 10,000 miles between changes with no trouble. I sold the truck to a customer with 224,000 miles on it. He still has it and it has 355,000 miles on it now. It's his daily driver. Same engine, transmission ( which I never changed the fluid in). No issues at all. That broke me of the 3000-5000 mile oil change mentality.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

in the fine print of the Cadillac Shield (or whatever it's called that gives you the free maintenance during the b2b warranty) it says 20% as the threshold

dealers can lie to GM and do them early if they want but if they do it too much GM will catch on ... 20% or less is "by the book" when you're allowed to get your free oil change (and any other maintenance that goes along with it)

as for the OLM system it has been proven and tested again and again to be very accurate (and even has a 100% safety factor built in)

for more reading on the subject of oil, oil changes and the GM Oil Life Monitor system see this post of mine
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post2981792
    lots of good stuff there ... some links to good oil/change discussions and the best description of the OLM and how it functions and why it's accurate
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Siren05 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T RWD. 2011 STI Hatchback.

Some boxers burn oil other get blow by issues some EJ257s have no issues. Oil catch can solves problem.

I only run Motul full synthetic in all my FI engines. My subie and my ATS DO NOT burn a drop on Motul.

KXAM is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

You guys all have your heads screwed on properly with reference to oil changes. The guys on the Corvette C6 forum are for the most part old school or just old! Many say no way will they ever go over 5,000 between oil changes. Some still go by 3,000 mile intervals. And then, most will flush out perfectly good Mobil 1 or another top of the line synthetic way before it's useful life is anywhere near over.! I say that is just a plain waste of $$ and resources. These of course are some of the same guys that treat a motor as if it is a fragile object and not a machine that can take a ton of use and beating when properly maintained using the mfg guidlines...

Siren05 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T RWD. 2011 STI Hatchback.

Quote Originally Posted by KXAM View Post
    You guys all have your heads screwed on properly with reference to oil changes. The guys on the Corvette C6 forum are for the most part old school or just old! Many say no way will they ever go over 5,000 between oil changes. Some still go by 3,000 mile intervals. And then, most will flush out perfectly good Mobil 1 or another top of the line synthetic way before it's useful life is anywhere near over.! I say that is just a plain waste of $$ and resources. These of course are some of the same guys that treat a motor as if it is a fragile object and not a machine that can take a ton of use and beating when properly maintained using the mfg guidlines...
    Boosted engines run hot with a lot of internal pressure. NA ENGINES generally are not as hard on oil.but
    Oil is lifeblood to our cars. I change mine every 5000kms or after each track day.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by gfxbt View Post
    "Can't imagine an engine in this era would burn oil."

You used "in this era" to discredit burning oil but not for oil breakdown? Very stubborn thinking there...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.