GM Oil Change? - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, GM Oil Change? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Although I only drive my cars about 5K miles/year (retired, ya know), I have been changing oil/filter on my BMWs ...
    flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

Re: GM Oil Change?

Although I only drive my cars about 5K miles/year (retired, ya know), I have been changing oil/filter on my BMWs only every 12 months for the last 8-11 years, using Mobil 1 synthetic oil. BMW recommends yearly or 15K miles, which ever comes first. The 2002 325 had 68K miles when traded in for the ATS and my 2005 Z4 has 34K miles. Both cars' engines run as smooth as silk. Thus, I have no problem waiting until the ATS's oil alert reaches 20% before changing oil. I'm just interested in seeing at how many miles that 20% will be reached.

MASCAD is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS4 3.6 2013; CTS-V COUPE 2011

Quote Originally Posted by flycaster View Post
    Although I only drive my cars about 5K miles/year (retired, ya know), I have been changing oil/filter on my BMWs only every 12 months for the last 8-11 years, using Mobil 1 synthetic oil. BMW recommends yearly or 15K miles, which ever comes first. The 2002 325 had 68K miles when traded in for the ATS and my 2005 Z4 has 34K miles. Both cars' engines run as smooth as silk. Thus, I have no problem waiting until the ATS's oil alert reaches 20% before changing oil. I'm just interested in seeing at how many miles that 20% will be reached.
    If the 20% level isn't reached before a year is up and you have On Star, you will probably start to get messages reminding you to change the oil. This happens on my CTS and I'm thinking it will probably happen on the ATS also since both call for a yearly filter/oil change regardless of mileage/oil life indication`.

flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

Yeah, left that out of my post. Should have said 20% or 1 year, which ever comes first.

Russianhaxor is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac ATS 2.0T Premium

I'm curious, what do these cars actually run? Is it synthetic? is it a blend? conventional?

I think it would be stupid for them to run conventional in such a high performance car. FFS I ran synthetic in my Volvo S40 and it purred because of it. The car ran noticeably differently when no conventional.

I would just hate to not get the most out of my car if I'm not running synthetic. Granted, this is a lease and I don't care that much about the longevity of the engine, I just care about how it'll drive when I have it.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    The main advantage of synthetic oil is it's ability to withstand higher temperatures. This is why high performance/supercharged/turbocharged engines REQUIRE synthetic oil.

Using synthetic in an engine that does not require it, will make ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE in how it runs or drives, or how much power it makes. If you feel a difference, it's the placebo effect.

On the other hand, using dino oil in an engine that requires synthetic, will also have no effect on how it runs, drives, or power output.....right up until the oil turns to sludge, and something seizes.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

ATS 2.0T and 3.6L are spec'd for Desox1 5w30
    the 2.5L engine is spec'd for Deoxs1 5w20
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by Russianhaxor View Post
    I'm curious, what do these cars actually run? Is it synthetic? is it a blend? conventional?

I think it would be stupid for them to run conventional in such a high performance car. FFS I ran synthetic in my Volvo S40 and it purred because of it. The car ran noticeably differently when no conventional.
    It's not black and white any more. They can do so much now starting with dino oil (yeah, I know its not from dinosaurs) that that distinction by itself is almost meaningless. Most Mobile One is now made from dino oil. But it is refined and altered so extensively, it truly is synthetic and the government allows them (and others) to use the designation. About the only significant differences under the operating conditions of a road car is longevity and GM factors that into the algorithms used to tell you when to change the oil. If you don't SERIOUSLY track the car, it doesn't matter and if you do, you will be changing at the end of each event anyway before you go back to commuting in it.

bluhaven is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 luxury ATS 2.0 Turbo 6sp auto

Mine just hit 20% at 5500 miles, so its time for the oil change.

Kevin

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.