Cadillac ATS How To: H.I.D Conversion
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Cadillac ATS How To: H.I.D Conversion in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; So if for whatever reason your ATS isn't the premium and doesn't have wonderful H.I.D's here's how to get it ...
    Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

Cadillac ATS How To: H.I.D Conversion

So if for whatever reason your ATS isn't the premium and doesn't have wonderful H.I.D's here's how to get it done painlessly. I Have seen a LOT of people saying the front bumper has to be removed. THIS IS NOT TRUE! it doesn't have to be this hard, the bulbs can easily be done through the wheel well.

I changed my bulbs around today and decided to document it for people that may not be too familiar with the process, its not too bad, follow this and you shouldn't have too much issue.

!!ALWAYS DISCONNECT THE BATTERY BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ELECTRICAL!!
    I didn't but I'm a terrible person

1) the lights

I bought Lumens brand 9006 35W 6000K H.I.D kit, was $100 from a local store (I'm too impatient for online ordering lol) I've had great success with this brand in the past, but go with whatever you like, just make sure they're bulb size 9006 color temp is up to you, but 6000 is a nice color and makes good light, any higher and the light output drops.

I hear you can use antiflicker capacitors, I've never used them and never had an issue, but do as you will, I'm just saying, I've never bothered and never had a flickering issue.

2) These are the tools/things I used
    The isopropyl is simply for wiping surfaces down to be taped to ensure they're degreased and dry.
    1" spade bit on a drill
    Screw driver with selectable socket bits
    Torx bit (for fender screws)
    Mini Ratchet for upper most fender well screw (hard to get at with the screw driver)
    "LePage 2 way tape" for mounting the Ballasts, this shit sets like concrete lol
    F*** yeah!

3) Turn the wheels to the opposite direction in which you'll be working. Then, remove these screws, should be a total of 4 torx screws coming out

4) pull back the fender liner, its fabric so it wont crease, dont worry. You'll see the cup that houses the headlight bulb, twist it Counter clockwise to take it off. It'll take some jiggling to get it from between the headlight and the metal behind it, but it'll come just be patient and work it out from behind. I tipped it on an angle them pulled it out. This will be very obvious once you see it you'll know what I'm talking about.

5) headlight bulb exposed after cup is removed

6)Drill a hole into the Cup, no this is not dangerous stuff I know some of you spaz at the thought of drilling a hole in a car piece. But Its just a plastic cup and if you use a 1" spade bit and drill in that center dent already marked from the factory you can't muck this up

The plug sits perfectly

7)Now you're read to replace the bulb with the H.I.D bulb. First off
    DO NOT TOUCH THE BULB WITH YOUR FINGERS! they're quite sensitive, leave the plastic protective stuff on till its ready to go in. The bulbs will screw in just like the OEM bulbs did.

As for wiring it all up, don't connect it all until AFTER the bulbs screwed into the housing and the cups back on, but here's a diagram of how to do it, its pretty idiot proof (male to female) but we dont all learn at the same pace

8)I mounted my Ballast on the inner portion of those plastic inserts (where the LED fog lamps are if you got them) I used some lepage 2 way tape, stuff sits like concrete and doesn't let go, I've used it on ballasts in the past and never had an issue. I also have a zip tie there JUST IN CASE, always better to be safe than sorry. Ballast mounting isn't really that specific, this is just where I stuck'em but if you have a better spot them by all means... just make sure they're in a safe place and reletively protected from the oncoming elements

I whiped the ballast and plastic down with Rubbing alcohol to ensure its fully degreased and dry for bonding.

9)now connect it all together as shown in step 7) but it'll all be in the car now, just feed the wires down to the ballast.

10) here's the car with stock halogen on the left and HID on the right, much MUCH brighter

11) both installed

12) aim your new lights
    If you look at the plastic shroud along the top front of the engine bay you'll see a flap/door thing overtop each headlight, they look like the obvious flaps you'd open to change the bulbs.. sadly, no, they house the adjuster screws.

Lift the flap open and you'll see an adjuster screw, it looks requires a big Hex key OR a big Philips head. Now park the car facing a big wall, like a garage door or the side or a walmart or something, with the lights on you'll see a definite line, this is called the cutoff line. All you need to do is twist each screw (clock wise/counter clockwise makes 'em move up/down) till both lights "cutoff lines" are even and low enough so you don't blind the drivers who'd be unfortunate enough to be coming towards you lol.

Now go enjoy your new superior headlights! I hope this has helped someone and if theirs any questions please ask. But please refrain from any "Oh shoulda used XXXXXXbrand st00pid n00b" or "shoulda used ####K lights pshaah newb!!" I used this brand and this color temp because that's worked for me, you can use whatever brand/color you like. I am open to where you mounted your ballasts or any other constructive help, I just have seen a LOT of questions regarding H.I.D installation and hope this clears a lot up.

***disclaimer.
    If you somehow muck this up, or somehow hurt yourself... and I truly emphasize "somehow" I'm not in anyway liable for your butterfingers

Update 2013-11-07:

Someone reported a problem using this procedure and the OP responded:

I haven't checked this thread in a while lol, to be honest I forgot about the D.R.L thing, my lumens kit came with a DRL relay harness (i'll take a pic of the box if you like) I never ended up putting it in when I did the kit because I had no issues with this in the past. But I recently put the harness in as I was having issues with the DRL lights. Since putting in the harness I haven't had the problem anymore. I haven't updated the How-to as it wont' let me.

It's a pain in the ass though as you need to run the cable to the battery in the trunk lol, had I known this I wouldn't have bothered with the H.I.D's in the first place.

In the states DRL's aren't mandatory and shouldn't affect most users, but if any Canadians put HIDS in you're gonna need a DRL relay as your lights will start acting up eventually.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Re: Cadillac ATS How To: H.I.D Conversion

My car came with HIDs but I still think its great you took the time to make an excellent tutorial.

netring is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Did you have to get resistors to cancel flickering?

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by netring View Post
    Did you have to get resistors to cancel flickering?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo Supremo View Post
    I hear you can use antiflicker capacitors, I've never used them and never had an issue, but do as you will, I'm just saying, I've never bothered and never had a flickering issue.
    . .

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

OK, you rock!!!!......now will a MOD make this the headline premier sticky in a ATS DIY section, and award Stevo the golden beercan award for ATS person of the month

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    My car came with HIDs but I still think its great you took the time to make an excellent tutorial.

Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee View Post
    OK, you rock!!!!......now will a MOD make this the headline premier sticky in a ATS DIY section, and award Stevo the golden beercan award for ATS person of the month
    Thanks guys , and I hope they will sticky this somewhere because I know a lot of people want to put in H.I.D's but just aren't 100% sure on how to do it and back in my cobalt days I ALWAYS appreciated when people took the time to make a detailed how to on a project So I thought it might be appreciated here as well and encourage people to give it a shot, its not very expensive, not too difficult a literal night and day difference

I will be making more how to's in the future as I continue modding

pever is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium with Driver Assist & Adv Security

The part I don't get is how the Wizard of Oz ticket stub was used in the process?
    Rozay619 likes this.

SLA
    SLA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T 6MT, 05 LGT, 97 M3

How does the beam pattern look

Quote Originally Posted by pever View Post
    The part I don't get is how the Wizard of Oz ticket stub was used in the process?
    haha yeah my G/F just got back from that, said it was a drag, glad I didn't dodged that bulled haha!

Quote Originally Posted by SLA View Post
    How does the beam pattern look
    looks pretty good, If its a nice night out I'll snap a pic of the beam pattern. Oh and today at work I went to where they aim the headlights for the XTS. Apparently the ATS is the same procedure so everything I posted about aiming is good to go theirs no horizontal axis to aiming these lights F.E.I

flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

Excellent DIY, Stevo. Let's see more of these: Pictures and text.
    I've been on many BMW forums (E46-types and Z4) and when I got the ATS, I was a disappointed with their forum as there was no DIY sub-forum. But then I realized that this is a new car, and it will take a while. Also, I believe (assume) that the "Cadillac crowd," for the most part, probably have the money to have mechanics do the mods, and thus the DIY pool is won't bee too big. As time goes on, I hope I am wrong and we get our DIY sub-forum.

for sure^ they're still new cars, I just felt like H.I.D's were a very large mod that a lot of people will want to/do want to have done. Coming from the tuner crowd I generally like to do stuff myself lol. I DO know however that there are certain things that should be done by well trained hand, but theirs also many things that are easily doable yourself that the thought of paying to have it done makes me sick lmao!

flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo Supremo View Post
    ...theirs also many things that are easily doable yourself that the thought of paying to have it done makes me sick lmao!
    Exactly! The mods I've done on my BMWs, although relatively easy mods, would not (could not) have been done by me without having a good descriptive DIY to give me the "courage" to do the mod. A prime example of the type of modding that I'm willing to do would be the HID conversion (although I'm not really sure that I need it) and removing the fender side markers to have them painted the color of the car (will save a few bucks by not having the paint shop guy do it...also, no need to leave the car). BTW, have already done the V-1 hotwire install (fuse box>run wire between dash and A pillar>up A pillar>recessed in headliner> to driver's visor).

Yeah on my cobalt I did everything from Retro fitting stock headlights for H.I.D's to installing forged pistons.

Theirs obviously things I wouldn't do to my ATS without a trained hand, but theirs also a LOT of stuff I just couldn't pay someone to do

oh and I to thought the stock halogens were alright then I swapped put H.I.D's in

bollyjack is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS

thanks for the thread, i'm actually more interested in the LED pipeline

FDNY-L107 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Auto RWD

Very nice write-up Stevo and thanks again.

Just wanted to double check - with your kit now installed without installing anti-flickers, your DRL's work correctly and you are not receiving any codes on the dash for bulb out?

Thanks again.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.