Cadillac ATS How To: H.I.D Conversion - Page 7
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Cadillac ATS How To: H.I.D Conversion in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Im just stating we are in 2014 now. All vehicles to me (Luxury) should have HID standard. Lighting is very ...
    txboifrozt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 01 Deville - 98 Deville D'Elegance.
    Im just stating we are in 2014 now. All vehicles to me (Luxury) should have HID standard. Lighting is very important, and most importantly helps drivers to see better at night especially on dark country roads and highways. We're in a world where people are more accustomed to wanting LED's all around and HID's for headlights. Having to make mods on a brand new car just doesn't seem right especially on a Cadillac

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Re: Cadillac ATS How To: H.I.D Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    Yep, Mustangs have had HIDs only for several years. That tells me two things: (1) Cadillac believes some of its customers will move up trim levels based substantially on a desire for HIDs and (2) Ford believes Mustang customers won't, so takes the savings from having one system and selling more of it.

I don't have a problem with Cadillac doing this if they are right and it makes them more money but it kind of sucks that a few Cadillac buyers have to buy a bunch of features they don't want in order to get improved safety. But then that is only happening because enough people want HIDs just because of the statement they think they make. Kind of a twisted circle.
    this is true, Bob Lutz is quoted as saying something to the affect that there's not much cost difference in manufacturing cheap or expensive cars i believe he called it material costs, this was in regards to reports that VOLTS were money losers based on how much it cost to develop them... he separated development cost from material cost which made a lot of sense since we now know that the development cost also applies to ELR and who knows where else they will use voltec

deedle is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0T RWD

Anyone here used the OPT7 Kits from ebay? Seem like a good product with many different options as to Canbus ballasts etc. Any thoughts? I've messaged them on two different auctions and getting two totally opposite answers to the common DRL flickering/shut off issues many others have experienced. One says it cant be done unless the DRL's are disabled altogether and the other says simply use a relay or even go with the AC ballasts and order the relays just in case.

Thoughts? I just want to make sure I have everything I need before I start teardown.
    link to possible kit.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/OPT7-AC-35w-...item19d9bf47ec

evanj21 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 Cadillac CTS 2.0t

I have the same issue guys, I leased a 2014 CTS standard, and it doesn't come with the HID, even though it comes with the LED strips, the HID's werent included in the base CTS, that really pissed me off because the car is 48k msrp, r u kidding me Cadillac?.....anyways I know this is a tutorial for the ATS, does anyone know any HID upgrade kit or bulb for the CTS, I guess I have to go aftermarket now since I called my dealer and she said there is nothing out yet for the CTS and it's not possible to do....any help would be appreciated.

CADILLACATS2013 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS

Quote Originally Posted by deedle View Post
    Anyone here used the OPT7 Kits from ebay? Seem like a good product with many different options as to Canbus ballasts etc. Any thoughts? I've messaged them on two different auctions and getting two totally opposite answers to the common DRL flickering/shut off issues many others have experienced. One says it cant be done unless the DRL's are disabled altogether and the other says simply use a relay or even go with the AC ballasts and order the relays just in case.

Thoughts? I just want to make sure I have everything I need before I start teardown.
    link to possible kit.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/OPT7-AC-35w-...item19d9bf47ec
    I bought opt7 auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/OPT7-Premium...93479e&vxp=mtr

Just need to make sure you get a pair of capacitors with them (include message to seller when paying) and its all plug and play from there and I have had no issues since except my own installation mistakes but the product works 100% and looks great!

deedle is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0T RWD

Quote Originally Posted by CADILLACATS2013 View Post
    I bought opt7 auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/OPT7-Premium...93479e&vxp=mtr

Just need to make sure you get a pair of capacitors with them (include message to seller when paying) and its all plug and play from there and I have had no issues since except my own installation mistakes but the product works 100% and looks great!
    thanks for the update! So you went with the Canbus system. I was looking at the SLIM 35W AC system which states the "AC" takes care of any faults and flickering. Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/121217536995...84.m1423.l2649

you have any pics of the color?

evanj21 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 Cadillac CTS 2.0t

Does anyone know where I can get a 2014 CTS HID kit??

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

you'd just need the bulb size and then get an HID kit with can bus adaptors for that bulbsize and away ya go I'd imagine they're the same size bulbs

CADILLACATS2013 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by deedle View Post
    thanks for the update! So you went with the Canbus system. I was looking at the SLIM 35W AC system which states the "AC" takes care of any faults and flickering. Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/121217536995...84.m1423.l2649

you have any pics of the color?
    Sorry for the delay, got some pics. hid1.JPGhid3.JPG

EricEst1978 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Quick question...

Can the 2014 performance headlight assembly be swapped with the lesser luxury version? Presumable they are the same exact size... I understand this would be considerably more expensive than the DYI method, but this is a brand new vehicle, and a lease so I'd rather not risk messing something up.

I'm sorry if this has been covered earlier, I tried to scan the thread for an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by EricEst1978 View Post
    Quick question...

Can the 2014 performance headlight assembly be swapped with the lesser luxury version? Presumable they are the same exact size... I understand this would be considerably more expensive than the DYI method, but this is a brand new vehicle, and a lease so I'd rather not risk messing something up.

I'm sorry if this has been covered earlier, I tried to scan the thread for an answer.
    man it's really hard to muck this up, and ESPECIALLY being a lease I would't be shelling out that sort of cash for it. Not too mention figuring out the wiring would be a much bigger headache on the performance headlight and you're probably more likely to goof that up than an HID swap

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo Supremo View Post
    man it's really hard to muck this up, and ESPECIALLY being a lease I would't be shelling out that sort of cash for it. Not too mention figuring out the wiring would be a much bigger headache on the performance headlight and you're probably more likely to goof that up than an HID swap
    I didn't figure there would be a significant change in the wiring sans fog lights... I figured the plug on the 2 setups might be a match where just the headlamps were concerned.

i.e. unbolt and unplug current headlight assembly... install and plug new headlight assembly in the same location. Are there fundamental differences in the wiring/connection of the 2 different headlight options? seems from a cost standpoint, the manufacturer would try to maintain as much continuity as possible but I'm aware that theory and logic often differ from reality.

You'd be surprised, I haven't looked at the Perf lights but I know for a lot of things companies will toss totally different harnesses in the car, I doubt it's plug and play... ..then again I dont know I just wouldn't go through the hassle when it's so easy to plug in an HID kit

I'll look in to the process a bit more Stevo. I'm just reluctant as I typically find a way to foul up this type of project and given I just got the car a week ago, would hate to make a mistake I'd have to live with for the rest of the lease as I really do love the car. It's one of the nicest I've owned, but the lights drive me a little nuts as the lights I had in my previous vehicle, a GLI Autobahn, were far, far superior... for a car that costs 15-18K less.

mjb091 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hi, been lurking this thread for a while, this is my first post.

Recently bought a 2013 ATS Luxury for my wife, got a great deal with most of the goodies but unfortunately no Xenons. Love the car.
    I am working with a local auto stereo installer shop, they installed the HID kit with the relay. Went to pick it up yesterday and was a bad hum from the relay. They just installed the anti flicker capacitors and seem to do the trick.

My question, is all works fine with the exception of loss of the exit lighting capability. Remote unlock and lock, no light until I start the car. With Remote start, the lights come on when I enter the car, foot on brake and press start. I suspect it has something to do with ignition power to the ballast but wanted to post here to see if anyone has any input or suggestions.

Thanks, Mark

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.