Cadillac ATS How To: H.I.D Conversion - Page 5
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Cadillac ATS How To: H.I.D Conversion in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I followed the directions exactly, used the exact kit as steveo but i had a really hard time getting one ...
    l.cassar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

Re: Cadillac ATS How To: H.I.D Conversion

I followed the directions exactly, used the exact kit as steveo but i had a really hard time getting one bulb to lock in place, when it did lock in place the beam was different than the other side. Any ideas?

Just unlocked the car, HID's came on. Started driving they shut off and i could not get them to fire up again. Put the headlight control on auto, covered the 'dome' so the car would turn on headlights, the dash displayed the icon saying they were on and they were not. This is with the lumens kit, i'm going to be removing them today or tomorrow. Unless someone knows what do to?

UPDATE: I spoke with lumens customer service and he told me that the kit is not designed to work plug and play with DRL's as in our Cadillac ats. You need a DRL relay harness, to pull power from the battery in DRL mode. The DRL is lower power so it cannot fire up the ballast. It will only work under full power plug and play.
    AS FOR NOW TAKE LUMENS OFF THE LIST OF WORKING KITS.

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

Yeah I haven't checked this thread in a while lol, to be honest I forgot about the D.R.L thing, my lumens kit came with a DRL relay harness (i'll take a pic of the box if you like) I never ended up putting it in when I did the kit because I had no issues with this in the past. But I recently put the harness in as I was having issues with the DRL lights. Since putting in the harness I haven't had the problem anymore. I haven't updated the How-to as it wont' let me.

It's a pain in the ass though as you need to run the cable to the battery in the trunk lol, had I known this I wouldn't have bothered with the H.I.D's in the first place.

In the states DRL's aren't mandatory and shouldn't affect most users, but if any Canadians put HIDS in you're gonna need a DRL relay as your lights will start acting up eventually.

Again, it wouldn't let me edit the original post to write this in.

pissedoffwookiee is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo Supremo View Post
    Yeah I haven't checked this thread in a while lol, to be honest I forgot about the D.R.L thing, my lumens kit came with a DRL relay harness (i'll take a pic of the box if you like) I never ended up putting it in when I did the kit because I had no issues with this in the past. But I recently put the harness in as I was having issues with the DRL lights. Since putting in the harness I haven't had the problem anymore. I haven't updated the How-to as it wont' let me.

It's a pain in the ass though as you need to run the cable to the battery in the trunk lol, had I known this I wouldn't have bothered with the H.I.D's in the first place.

In the states DRL's aren't mandatory and shouldn't affect most users, but if any Canadians put HIDS in you're gonna need a DRL relay as your lights will start acting up eventually.

Again, it wouldn't let me edit the original post to write this in.
    you shouldn't have to go to the back, Cadillac has done the work for you by running the battery wires to a distribution block in the engine bay, this is where i powered my LED DRLs from, it has big thick wires that look like they're straight from the battery, it looks like very little if anything at all attaches to the battery in the back and it all comes from this distro block

well ill be taking them out tomorrow, dont want to throw any more money/ time into this with poor results. I'm using epoxy putty to plug the holes that were made in the headlight cup/cover. i couldn't find a proper plug anywhere!

flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee View Post
    you shouldn't have to go to the back, Cadillac has done the work for you by running the battery wires to a distribution block in the engine bay, this is where i powered my LED DRLs from, it has big thick wires that look like they're straight from the battery, it looks like very little if anything at all attaches to the battery in the back and it all comes from this distro block
    How did you attach the wires to the +/- posts...solder on alligator clips?

Quote Originally Posted by flycaster View Post
    How did you attach the wires to the +/- posts...solder on alligator clips?
    crimped on fork terminals to positive and negative wires, removed power distribution block cover and unbolted one of the wires and bolted it on, and bolted negative to ground near negative jump post, re-attached distro block cover. you can see the thick wire coming in from the battery and attaching to the block (a metal plate) and a 3 not as thick wires coming off the block to power various things in the engine.

Attachment 159513

thats the power distribution block behind the fuse box to the right of the coolant reservoir

the big wire from the battery comes straight up under the verticle post and you can see large fuses there too

can't believe I forgot about that jumper post... my life could have been so much easier ah well, c'est la vie

can't believe I forgot about that jumper post... my life could have been so much easier ah well, c'est la vie
    lol, you're looking at it wrong, you should instead think of yourself as too big a stud to do it the easy way, and and tapping into the block is only obvious to the average person who couldn't possibly grasp the genius of your methods

Kalibr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS

Quote Originally Posted by l.cassar View Post
    AS FOR NOW TAKE LUMENS OFF THE LIST OF WORKING KITS.
    I don't think it's specific to the brand of kit. I installed a Kensun kit last week and am having the same issue. The HIDs do not fire up as DRLs unless you happen to start your car in a garage (which in my case, is 80% of the time). So, it's not a deal breaker for me. The increased light output of the HIDs far outweighs this small annoyance.

Mine do, I would say TRS are 100% but not there yet, I need to trim and rotate my bulbs to eliminate electrode shadow and install a larger capacitor than the one in the can bus on the passenger side till then I give it a 98% these lights are awesome and super reliable they fire every time both as DRL and headlights

How can you say

"take lumens off the list"

When mine work just fine? if you're having issues either turn your DRLS off or put in a relay.

yohaishi is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Do you have the flicking problem after doing the HID in the day time?
    for sure^ they're still new cars, I just felt like H.I.D's were a very large mod that a lot of people will want to/do want to have done. Coming from the tuner crowd I generally like to do stuff myself lol. I DO know however that there are certain things that should be done by well trained hand, but theirs also many things that are easily doable yourself that the thought of paying to have it done makes me sick lmao!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.