Cadillac ATS How To: H.I.D Conversion - Page 4
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Cadillac ATS How To: H.I.D Conversion in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Glad to hear it! ^ weird I didn't have to trim my tabs.. but ah well, simple thing worked I ...
    Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

Re: Cadillac ATS How To: H.I.D Conversion

Glad to hear it! ^ weird I didn't have to trim my tabs.. but ah well, simple thing worked I see. C'mon though.. how much better are the HIDS to stock eh?!

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo Supremo View Post
    Glad to hear it! ^ weird I didn't have to trim my tabs.. but ah well, simple thing worked I see. C'mon though.. how much better are the HIDS to stock eh?!
    Thanks for the DIY guide Mr Supremo.......you rock!!!!

mechevar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD

Stevo Supremo, thanks a ton for this guide, it was perfect!

I ended up using the iJDMTOY kit
    http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Slim-Digita...ersion_kit.htm
    The Error Free CAN-bus decoders [Add $18.99] is required, otherwise the lights do not work. The total is with shipping comes to around $100 (they ship ridiculously fast too).

Honestly, you are going to spend the majority of your time trying to wiggle off the dang cap and then trying to creatively hide all the wires and mini bricks. I ended up using double stick tape (alcohol wipe everything down like Stevo said) to assemble a single pallet out of the bricks and then sliding that single pallet on the shelf below the headlight.

You can see a hint of the blue light in the photo I added. In all honesty, pictures don't do the lights justice. The light is way more impressive in person.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/mnmeche...7634683500536/

flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

After the install, did your daylight running lights (if you have them) also work without any problems?

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee View Post
    Thanks for the DIY guide Mr Supremo.......you rock!!!!

You most welcome sir, glad I could help!

Quote Originally Posted by mechevar View Post

Honestly, you are going to spend the majority of your time trying to wiggle off the dang cap and then trying to creatively hide all the wires and mini bricks. I ended up using double stick tape (alcohol wipe everything down like Stevo said) to assemble a single pallet out of the bricks and then sliding that single pallet on the shelf below the headlight.

You can see a hint of the blue light in the photo I added. In all honesty, pictures don't do the lights justice. The light is way more impressive in person.
    Yup, thats what I was refering to as the "cup" or cap or whatever, thats what I said will take a while trying to sorta jiggle out lol. Pictures really dont do them justice either, when you pull up to another car with Halogens it makes the light look soooo dull and yello now!

Quote Originally Posted by flycaster View Post
    After the install, did your daylight running lights (if you have them) also work without any problems?
    I dont have any issues with DRLS, I cant really see why anyone should have any issues either, as long as you're not doing something you shouldn't be like chopping up wires and stuff

mechevar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD

I forgot to mention, you don't need to be shy about bending and pulling on the wheel liner. It pops back into place like a plastic milk jug. Also, my lights are in the 'auto' position all the time. With the CAN-bus everything is perfect. Lights reach full intensity in just a few seconds from a cold start.

Quote Originally Posted by mechevar View Post

I ended up using the iJDMTOY kit
    http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Slim-Digita...ersion_kit.htm
    The Error Free CAN-bus decoders [Add $18.99] is required, otherwise the lights do not work. The total is with shipping comes to around $100 (they ship ridiculously fast too).

mine are so bright way brighter (in terms of output than i expected)

that little shelf under the light assembly was perfect my ballast came with an installable mounting tab an i bolted it to the end of that I then routed the wires in front of the shelf (between shelf and bumper) did some zip tie cable managing including zip tie to the shelf to ensure there was not tugging or movement and put her back together and BAM!!!! bountiful lighting goodness......better than factory, after seeing these, even if i had factory HID's i would upgrade to these bulbs 5000k is so fantastic

paul780 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T

no problem, and yeah thats on my list lol, will write that up to once I figure it out

thats right, I dont have anti flicker capacitors and my DRL's run just fine and am not throwing any codes again, install them if it lets you sleep better, but I've never bothered and haven't ever had an issue.
    Can you confirm you are still having no issues with your DRL's? I ask because after installing an HID kit I've had inconsistent results. Usually the DRL's will not come on automatically after starting the car. I have to turn auto light mode "off" then back "on". This usually kicks them on, but even this isn't 100% all the time.
    Have both the ballast and warning cancelers installed, so I am thinking the issue has to do with the manufacturer of my kit. But before I start giving them too much crap I wanted to make sure your Phillips HID kit works correctly all of the time.
    As a side note, this is the HID kit I had purchased:
    http://www.carxenonhidkits.com/9006-...m-ballast-55w/

Thanks,

one thing to consider is the nature of the two types of lights, the car starts with halogen, and is built to run with bulbs that provide load resistance, the system looks for that to know all is ok.

another is halogen lights use more power than hid and a running hid system will be easier on the car to power, but a hid system needs more power than a halogen setup to fire the ballast this is where a lot of hid kits fall down. cars with standard lighting systems that cannot provide enough initial power usually need a relay setup to be more reliable.

lastly your using an overdrive system with a 55 watt setup, although these still use less power to run they require even more initial power to fire the ballasts than a standard 35 watt set.

I would recommend you use the kits other members have proven works with our car, mine lights up so reliably ( both drl and normal modes) you'd think it was meant to be there, so far the kits I know work are as follows (members feel free to add yours if it works)

lumens 35 watt kit
    ijdmtoy 35watt kit with can bus decoders
    the retrofit source morimoto 35 watt kit with can bus adapters

Renovatis is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD

To add to pissedoffwookiee:

DDM 35 watt kit with error eliminators

I did have to trim the tab on one side for some reason... Also, my kit completely took away DRL, which I prefer. I get no light or flickers in the day time at start up and have full function at night time upon start.

Hasselhof is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD Manual Standard
    Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee
    installed mine, installed nicely, there is a great location to bolt the ballast to and i love them, one caveat is i get a teeny bit of flickering on the passenger side only at idle it's intermittent and doesnt do it when the car is off (when the courtesy/locate lights come on when you unlock) or when driving, the output is amazing and the auto headlights work perfectly 5000K is beautiful, i also had to trim down one of the tabs on the 9006 HID bulb to match the philips halogen i removed. I called TRS and they told me to give the system 30 Days for the bulbs and ballasts to break in and some little flickers like i'm experienceing is normal and that the ATS is actually using a 9012 bulb which is almost an exact match for the 9006 except for a slightly smaller upper left tab, and there was not HID equivalent so trimming is required and this modification does not affect the 5 year warranty on the bulbs....these guys are awsome, even the DRL works and the bulb warmup is fast
    Ok so yours are working then 100%. When I called trs about my issue and if the can-bus adapters would be the fix, they told me they wouldn't be needed and that maybe anti-flicker modules would work, but I'd most likely lose the automatic lights. I think I'm going to order both the can-bus and the anti flicker and see how they work separately.

Quote Originally Posted by Hasselhof View Post
    Ok so yours are working then 100%. When I called trs about my issue and if the can-bus adapters would be the fix, they told me they wouldn't be needed and that maybe anti-flicker modules would work, but I'd most likely lose the automatic lights. I think I'm going to order both the can-bus and the anti flicker and see how they work separately.
    not 100% yet i'm 2 weeks into their suggested 30 days i still get occasional flickering on passenger side only and only at idle, not at speed and not when motor is off, other than this they fire like oem super reliable even he drl fire them reliably, i would be over the moon impressed if not for this mild issue i hope goes away like TRS said.

BobnLou is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS

Outstanding "how to" HID conversion. My question is, are your DRL working normally? On my 2013 base ATS, my relay buzzes when the DRL are on. With high or low beam on, everything works great. I am working to find a solution. Thanks again for your time and effort.

thebucky84 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0T

Has anyone used the OPT7 kit yet? They have a kit together just for the ATS.

Edit: OPT7 will need the capacitors

samer2214 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

i followed this step by steo exactly . but when i unlock the car, they work fine but when i turn the car on, the dont work. they come on and off. PLEASE HELP

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.