Cadillac ATS How To: H.I.D Conversion - Page 3
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Cadillac ATS How To: H.I.D Conversion in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Originally Posted by Figo haha. I guess it's because the fact it's a leasing car so I'm afraid to do ...
    Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

Re: Cadillac ATS How To: H.I.D Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by Figo View Post
    haha. I guess it's because the fact it's a leasing car so I'm afraid to do something bad to the fabric. Also, in your pic, I have trouble understanding the top screw you mentioned. Is it the one on direct top of the tire, or the way way back on the edge (the other side of the wheel)?

I think if I use more strength, then taking the fabric away from the wheel will be easy, but I'm not confident if away too much it's easy to install back. Do you have extra picture showing the extend that you pulled the fabric?
    Thanks!
    Lol Yeah the Housing "cup" takes a bit of jiggling and Tetris maneuvering to get it outta there, they put everything quite tight in both sides of the engine bay.In step 4 you can see how far I pulled the fabric for most of the work, but the stuffs pretty flexible, its not like the old plastic liner that deformed if you looked at it the wrong way. Oh and be careful with those "super bright blueish" halogen bulbs, they're wayy too expensive, dont shine nearly as bright as HIDs(eventhough the box says they do) and tend to burn out pretty damned quick, and to be honest, if you're putting those in, once you've gotten the bulb out its really not that much more work to just go the extra little bit and swap to H.I.D's. Last I saw, those SylvaniaZXE halogen bulbs were like $60/70 , my HID kit was $100.. so.. yeah

Oh and yes being a lease, you're still living with that car for 2,3 years or so, thats quite a while. Then when its time to go back you can either send it back with the HIDS (like they care/know) or swap+cash it with someone else who has an ATS in the area that has Halogens, no big deal.

Take it like you will, but I put those "super halogens" in my cobalt and every year or so they'd burn out, I finally got sick of it and retro-fitted my cobalts headlights for H.I.D's, never looked back lol

Quote Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
    So, doing an HID conversion Steve, other guys... do you still have High beam capability? How does a non HID ATS use high beams?

Does it just move an adjuster in the housing to go to full like an HID equipped car?
    Or does it have another bulb for high beams?
    Or do you lose high beam functionality with this mod?
    Nope you dont lose any of the normal features, you completely retain the High/Low beam functionality. The factory Halogens use the same shutters as the factory HID equipped cars, surprisingly they didn't cheap out on that one (suppose from a production standpoint it makes sense) ,making this H.I.D conversion so simple. If anyone here has halogens, turn the engine off and flick the highbeam, you'll hear eye lids moving up front.

** oh and an update anyways

so its been almost 2 months of having these and have had no issues at all, drove through a borderline monsoon, that went up to the bottom fascia to. I never did put those anti-flicker resistors in and haven't had a DRL flickering issue to speak of. Gotta say I'm damn happy with this Mod for sure!

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

Good news then! Thanks Steve!
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

redhead_823 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T M6 RWD

I installed a set of SDX Kensun HID's last night. Well, I installed one side. Then I tested them and the HID was about half the brightness of the stock headlight, so I am returning the HID's. Waste of time.

Dunno what to tell you^ was your new bulb aimed at the ground? what color temp did you get? higher temperatures are a waste as you cant see the light from them as well. We need the details here... But my new lights are 10X brighter than the stock halogens and I think most people who do the conversion can attest to that.

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo Supremo View Post
    Dunno what to tell you^ was your new bulb aimed at the ground? what color temp did you get? higher temperatures are a waste as you cant see the light from them as well. We need the details here... But my new lights are 10X brighter than the stock halogens and I think most people who do the conversion can attest to that.
    sounds like 10000k or 12000k instead of the nice super bright 4300k

most likely^ I put in 6K, just enough to look blue but still low enough level to be in the visible spectrum. Anything more than 6K and theres a substantial dimminish on light output

redhead_823 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T M6 RWD

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo Supremo View Post
    It was 6000k. I wanted 4300k's but the 6000's were $20 cheaper. I tried aiming it up and down, but it seemed like that moved the whole projector, not just the bulb.

lol dunno what to tell ya^ I have 6K and they're muuuccchhh brigher than my Halogens were, my dad brought an ATS home one night with halogens and we compared them and mine were waaayyyy brighter

Renovatis is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD

You might have done what I did my first time. My DDM bulb fit into the projector 3 different ways some how. I don't know if anyone else has had this problem but I first thought it was something with the wiring or the bulbs. The bulb would be bright as could be if I was just holding it, but soon as I put it into the projector it would be dim. Had to move them around a couple times to get them in the right spot.

Does anyone know what way the bulb should be inserted? Metal rod on the bulb down? Up? Does it matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Renovatis View Post
    You might have done what I did my first time. My DDM bulb fit into the projector 3 different ways some how. I don't know if anyone else has had this problem but I first thought it was something with the wiring or the bulbs. The bulb would be bright as could be if I was just holding it, but soon as I put it into the projector it would be dim. Had to move them around a couple times to get them in the right spot.

Does anyone know what way the bulb should be inserted? Metal rod on the bulb down? Up? Does it matter?
    Comparing Stevos pictures to my bulbs, it looks like the elbow of the halogens pointed up, this would the rod side up with these bulbs on my desk.

another thing, i wont know if this was cheap bulbs in your kit or a problem with our lights until i get in there, but with 2 fat and 1 thin tab and not in a perfect triange the 9006 bulbs should only fit one way

the kensun kit is $50, i would be way hesitant to put so inexpensive a kit in the cadillac, I recently had issues with a shop installing a cheap kit in my wifes car. as i'm writing this i have my $55 morimoto XB35 bulbs on the desk in front of me and my kit was $170, this seems like not much for what looks like an OEM quality setup and at 5 years the waranty beats our OEM waranty for the whole car by a year. my opinion, this seems cheaper than than the amazon kit, or at the very least go with the lumens kit, Stevo has shown us works without a hitch

if i could get the kit to install without drilling the cap like THIS i might be tempted to remove the bumper (i have a mechanic helping me)

Hasselhof is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD Manual Standard
    Strange, I installed morimoto bulbs and ballasts and i have flickering. The only way I could get it to function right was to turn off the auto light control. Do you still have fully functioning auto lights? I pulled it all out until I can figure out a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Hasselhof View Post
    Strange, I installed morimoto bulbs and ballasts and i have flickering. The only way I could get it to function right was to turn off the auto light control. Do you still have fully functioning auto lights? I pulled it all out until I can figure out a solution.
    do you have the morimoto can-bus adapters? i got those too, hopefully my mechanic can squeeze me in sunday to get all my lighting installed, thanks for letting us know this, hopefully the adapters make it right, Bryce2.0T has this kit in the car and said its incredible

yup I still have fully functioning automatic lights, I've never used that kit and as someone stated below maybe it needs the antiflicker modules. So far since writing this I haven't had any flickering issues.

mechevar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD

Just curious, what local stores carry these kits? I went to the Lumens website and could not find any "where to buy" links.

installed mine, installed nicely, there is a great location to bolt the ballast to and i love them, one caveat is i get a teeny bit of flickering on the passenger side only at idle it's intermittent and doesnt do it when the car is off (when the courtesy/locate lights come on when you unlock) or when driving, the output is amazing and the auto headlights work perfectly 5000K is beautiful, i also had to trim down one of the tabs on the 9006 HID bulb to match the philips halogen i removed.

I called TRS and they told me to give the system 30 Days for the bulbs and ballasts to break in and some little flickers like i'm experienceing is normal and that the ATS is actually using a 9012 bulb which is almost an exact match for the 9006 except for a slightly smaller upper left tab, and there was not HID equivalent so trimming is required and this modification does not affect the 5 year warranty on the bulbs....these guys are awsome, even the DRL works and the bulb warmup is fast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.