Cadillac ATS How To: H.I.D Conversion - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Cadillac ATS How To: H.I.D Conversion in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Originally Posted by bollyjack thanks for the thread, i'm actually more interested in the LED pipeline no problem, and yeah ...
    Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

Re: Cadillac ATS How To: H.I.D Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by bollyjack View Post
    thanks for the thread, i'm actually more interested in the LED pipeline
    no problem, and yeah thats on my list lol, will write that up to once I figure it out

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY-L107 View Post
    Very nice write-up Stevo and thanks again.

Just wanted to double check - with your kit now installed without installing anti-flickers, your DRL's work correctly and you are not receiving any codes on the dash for bulb out?

Thanks again.
    thats right, I dont have anti flicker capacitors and my DRL's run just fine and am not throwing any codes again, install them if it lets you sleep better, but I've never bothered and haven't ever had an issue.

netring is offline Cadillac Owners Member

What torx bit size did you need?

FDNY-L107 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Auto RWD

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo Supremo View Post

thats right, I dont have anti flicker capacitors and my DRL's run just fine and am not throwing any codes again, install them if it lets you sleep better, but I've never bothered and haven't ever had an issue.

Thanks Stevo. Makes sense, as I'm not seeing any voltage drop from the DRL's switching to the Headlights. Again, nice job.
    Stevo Supremo likes this.

Hi Folks,

Not to highjack Stevo's thread, but I just completed my HID install this weekend. Here are some notes that I thought I would share along....

1.) Removing the stock air box provides additional access and makes things much easier on the driver's side (easy removal - just loosen the intake tube clamp and "pop" straight up. The box has rubber grommet type mounts underneath).
    2.) I also removed the engine deck cover directly over the radiator. This made running the positive wire string for the driver's side simple, as you will need to tap off the battery junction box (or another positive pickup), located on the pass side. There is a provision track to route the wire already in place and in fact, all you have to do is follow the wire that is routed through there already. You cannot miss it as it is right in front of you. Removing the deck cover also provides some additional access on each side as well. The lock pins are easy to remove and reinstall.
    3.) My kit was KBCar Stuff, Xenon w/Phillips bulbs This is my 7th kit and install from them. As every kit is different, I am experiencing flickering in DRL mode only. I ordered my CAN Bus anti-flickering plug-ins ($25) @ KBCar Stuff. That should take care of it. I know that Stevo indicated he has not, but again, each kit is different. Up to you if you want to install first and see if you are good to go or buy the plug-ins and have them ready during your install.
    4.) Optionally, I also removed each tire on the side I was working on. This gave me much more room to work and gently roll back each fender well as to not damage it.

These little added steps made the install very easy and allows you much more access. There are a host of location choices to mount the ballasts once you are in there. Take your time and be sure to test each side once you have everything connected - PRIOR to putting everything back.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY-L107 View Post
    Hi Folks,

Not to highjack Stevo's thread, but I just completed my HID install this weekend. Here are some notes that I thought I would share along....

1.) Removing the stock air box provides additional access and makes things much easier on the driver's side (easy removal - just loosen the intake tube clamp and "pop" straight up. The box has rubber grommet type mounts underneath).
    yeah I have an aftermarket intake, so I did cheat a bit and go above, but with the passenger side not really allowing overhead work space I didn't include it because you cant really go overhead theree, but I suppose if you wanna get a feel for it removing the air box can give you some wiggle room.
    2.) I also removed the engine deck cover directly over the radiator. This made running the positive wire string for the driver's side simple,as you will need to tap off the battery junction box (or another positive pickup), located on the pass side. There is a provision track to route the wire already in place and in fact, all you have to do is follow the wire that is routed through there already. You cannot miss it as it is right in front of you. Removing the deck cover also provides some additional access on each side as well. The lock pins are easy to remove and reinstall.
    tap the postive?! I've installed well over 11 H.I.D kits into my/friends cars and have never had to tap a power line, must be a strange kit you're runnin not saying you're wrong, thats just strange lol
    3.) My kit was KBCar Stuff, Xenon w/Phillips bulbs This is my 7th kit and install from them. As every kit is different, I am experiencing flickering in DRL mode only. I ordered my CAN Bus anti-flickering plug-ins ($25) @ KBCar Stuff. That should take care of it. I know that Stevo indicated he has not, but again, each kit is different. Up to you if you want to install first and see if you are good to go or buy the plug-ins and have them ready during your install.
    4.) Optionally, I also removed each tire on the side I was working on. This gave me much more room to work and gently roll back each fender well as to not damage it.
    Yup, removing the wheel will give ya more work space, I didn't, but again, my guide is just that, a guide, and I appreciate tips like this to those who dont think about it, removing the wheel may make your life easier, I didn't bother, but give it a shot if you feel you dont have the room. But again with the anit flicker, I didnt need it, I know every kits different (as I didn't need to tap a postive wire or anything) but my DRL's dont flicker(had my G/F and a number of friends confirm this for me so I know its not just me convincing myself lol).

These little added steps made the install very easy and allows you much more access. There are a host of location choices to mount the ballasts once you are in there. Take your time and be sure to test each side once you have everything connected - PRIOR to putting everything back.

Good luck.
    on that note, how do you like your H.I.D's? waaayyy better night vision eh? and it adds such a different look to the car at night, I LOOVVEE that bluish white light ! what color temperature did you order?

I went with 4300K. I wanted to get as close to the stock HID color as possible. Thanks.

pissedoffwookiee is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

BUMP.......this deserves a sticky or a DIY section, fantastic work

roadpie4u is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 M6 FE3

looks pretty good, If its a nice night out I'll snap a pic of the beam pattern.
    Wherabouts in Canada are you? I'm in WNY if you want a car with factory HIDs to compare beam pattern/dispersal.

Thanks for the writeup! I'll send you a PM on it - I'm building a database of alpha chassis information including mods, guides and details and I'd like to discuss adding this to it with your permission.

And third? Now I really want an Alexander Keiths. Haven't had any since last time I was near Toronto.

Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee View Post
    BUMP.......this deserves a sticky or a DIY section, fantastic work
    Thanks for bumping it I Pm'd a mod about it, we'll see I guess

Quote Originally Posted by roadpie4u View Post
    Wherabouts in Canada are you? I'm in WNY if you want a car with factory HIDs to compare beam pattern/dispersal.

Thanks for the writeup! I'll send you a PM on it - I'm building a database of alpha chassis information including mods, guides and details and I'd like to discuss adding this to it with your permission.

And third? Now I really want an Alexander Keiths. Haven't had any since last time I was near Toronto.
    thanks again, I pm'd ya back I live about 2 hours from the niagara border lol, kinda far, I compared it to an ATS at a dealership and the HIDS I put it actually look a bit... sharper? could be because of the colour temp I used but the cutoff after aiming is identical.

Oh and yes, Keith's definitely kicks ass

Rolex is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2008 Nissan Titan, 1996 Jeep Wrangler

EXCELLENT write up with pics. 10/10

Stuck to the top.

*disclaimer: nobody will ever see this thread again because nobody reads the stickies.
    The above post is my 2 cents....nothing more.

awesome thanks! and lol +1 to nobody reading stickies.. but hopefully with there being so few stickies at the moment people will read the few that are there lol, but thanks again

Figo is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I tried Stevo's method but after taking off the screws still find the fabric hard to take apart to leave space to even see the bulb cover!

Is there anyone in San Francisco Bay area? I'm willing to buy you a dinner or give you a $50 gift card at your choice to make it happen

I guess for someone who did it, it's probably a 15min job on each side.

Btw I'm not looking for HID conversion. I bought these xenon like regular ones:

20130805_172539_San_Angelo_Ave_1.jpg

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Figo View Post
    I tried Stevo's method but after taking off the screws still find the fabric hard to take apart to leave space to even see the bulb cover!

Is there anyone in San Francisco Bay area? I'm willing to buy you a dinner or give you a $50 gift card at your choice to make it happen

I guess for someone who did it, it's probably a 15min job on each side.

Btw I'm not looking for HID conversion. I bought these xenon like regular ones:

Attachment 133633

Thanks!
    lol damn... if you lived close, just doing the bulbs is probably 10 mins each side

Figo is offline Cadillac Owners Member

lol damn... if you lived close, just doing the bulbs is probably 10 mins each side
    haha. I guess it's because the fact it's a leasing car so I'm afraid to do something bad to the fabric. Also, in your pic, I have trouble understanding the top screw you mentioned. Is it the one on direct top of the tire, or the way way back on the edge (the other side of the wheel)?

I think if I use more strength, then taking the fabric away from the wheel will be easy, but I'm not confident if away too much it's easy to install back. Do you have extra picture showing the extend that you pulled the fabric?

Thanks!

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

So, doing an HID conversion Steve, other guys... do you still have High beam capability? How does a non HID ATS use high beams?

Does it just move an adjuster in the housing to go to full like an HID equipped car?
    Or does it have another bulb for high beams?
    Or do you lose high beam functionality with this mod?
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.