First Lowering Springs Available?....questionable though - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, First Lowering Springs Available?....questionable though in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; arent lowering springs generally a bad idea? for handling, ride quality? ive been looking up lowering springs and alot of ...
    donavo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL

Re: First Lowering Springs Available?....questionable though

arent lowering springs generally a bad idea? for handling, ride quality? ive been looking up lowering springs and alot of people say its a bad idea. anyone here have a particular opinion about this?

FMSRPerformance is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by donavo View Post
    arent lowering springs generally a bad idea? for handling, ride quality? ive been looking up lowering springs and alot of people say its a bad idea. anyone here have a particular opinion about this?
    l've listed some of the pro and cons of using lowering spring:

Pros -
    Used mostly to gain better road traction either on or off the track and on the public streets
    Better steering response in corners or in hairy conditions
    Provides better 'feeling' of the road, you'll feel the steering wheel will provide output 'feeling' of the condition of the road
    Provides better center of gravity by keeping the vehicle lower to the floor and preventing the 'top heavy' feeling went driving
    Offers slightly better handling in some weather conditions [ie: lite rain & snow] - but NOT ALL weather conditions
    It gives the vehicle that 'Stance' or 'Menacing' look, most of the younger guys/gals go for

Cons -
    Some kits aren't made for driver comfort, just for traction and ride height
    springs can wear out over time, losing their effectiveness to provide traction/ ride quality
    some spring kits can damage suspension components over a period of time

r45t4m4n is offline Cadillac Owners Member

generally speaking, yes, the shocks will wear faster because the springs are not matched. However this is the only lowering option other than D3s $3500 option. Until there are coilovers and MRC emulators available at a reasonable price springs look like the only bargain lowering option.

Quote Originally Posted by r45t4m4n View Post
    generally speaking, yes, the shocks will wear faster because the springs are not matched. However this is the only lowering option other than D3s $3500 option. Until there are coilovers and MRC emulators available at a reasonable price springs look like the only bargain lowering option.
    agreed. in the racing world yes - it makes sense to get $3500 or even $10k set of coilovers for the track, but to use them on the street is a little silly IMO.. TEITOH - to each is their own happiness

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Quote Originally Posted by FMSRPerformance View Post
    agreed. in the racing world yes - it makes sense to get $3500 or even $10k set of coilovers for the track, but to use them on the street is a little silly IMO.. TEITOH - to each is their own happiness
    OK spouting proverbs, in leet speak is just making you look cooler, stop it! were trying to be grumpy and skeptical here......... just kidding, its cool your here.

any chance on getting some proper coilovers developed? I'm a bit anal about ride height.

Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee View Post
    OK spouting proverbs, in leet speak is just making you look cooler, stop it! were trying to be grumpy and skeptical here......... just kidding, its cool your here.
    lol.. got too much spock on mind.. muusssst release the warp drive captain!! lol..

we got an email from an owner on here late in the day today..

anyway - he mention - we needed to add the spring height info - so here it is..

I’ve listed the exact height measurements for both front and rear spring sets below, we measured them at the top of the arch on the fender to the leveled floor. Most companies and pro mech techs measure from the bottom of the LCA=lower control arm - either at the bottom of the ball joint or at the center of the LCA to the floor. We don't measure our spring heights that way, it causes way too much confusion when troubleshooting with customers on the phone. Our calculation to measure spring/ ride height, first measure the current spring setup on a leveled floor, then re-measure the newly installed spring setup and subtract both measurements, this will give you the exact spring / ride height for your setup.

Our ride height measurements are based on using STOCK suspension components, using non-stock suspension components will not guarantee correct ride height outcome.

XtremeDrop™ Coil Springs - Front set:
    1.0” = .98” or 24.89mm - softer ride quality - daily driving
    1.25” = 1.20” or 30.48mm - soft ride quality - daily driving
    1.5” = 1.53” or 39.01mm - light moderate ride quality - spirited driving style
    2.0” = 2.01” or 51.14mm - moderate ride quality - spirited driving style
    2.5” = 2.53” or 64.32mm - stiff ride quality - heavy spirited driving style or weekend track racing
    3” = 2.98” or 75.84mm - stiffer ride quality - track monster - Not for use on public roadways
    4” = 3.73” or 94.92mm - stiffest ride quality - track monster - Not for use on public roadways

XtremeDrop™ Coil Springs - Rear set:
    1.0” = 1.02” or 26.01 mm - softer ride quality - daily driving
    1.25” = 1.29” or 32.92 mm - soft ride quality - daily driving
    1.5” = 1.61” or 41.05 mm - light moderate ride quality - spirited driving style
    2.0” = 2.08” or 52.94 mm - moderate ride quality - spirited driving style
    2.5” = 2.61” or 66.40 mm - stiff ride quality - heavy spirited driving style or weekend track racing
    3” = 3.03” or 77.16 mm - stiffer ride quality - track monster - Not for use on public roadways
    4” = 4.06” or 103.19 mm - stiffest ride quality - track monster - Not for use on public roadways

Nite_Hawk is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T

This is awesome!! Now, i wonder if there are any quality shocks to go with these.

donavo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL

does anyone know how much of a drop the D3 ATS has?

Quote Originally Posted by Nite_Hawk View Post
    This is awesome!! Now, i wonder if there are any quality shocks to go with these.
    Were waiting for our distributor to send us a set of BILSTEIN B8 - Performance lowering shock absorber/ Strut, the set where getting is for the 12' Chevy Cruze, but had a friend in Wales [UK] who told me they had shop over there fit these shocks on 13' ATS.. which to me I think is completely possible since many of the parts on ATS are very close to the Cruze.. we'll see..

----------

Quote Originally Posted by donavo View Post
    does anyone know how much of a drop the D3 ATS has?
    front 2.5" & Rear full 3"

Hoosier Daddy is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Were waiting for our distributor to send us a set of BILSTEIN B8 - Performance lowering shock absorber/ Strut, the set where getting is for the 12' Chevy Cruze, but had a friend in Wales [UK] who told me they had shop over there fit these shocks on 13' ATS.. which to me I think is completely possible since many of the parts on ATS are very close to the Cruze.. we'll see..
    They may fit and they MAY be okay for steady speed bumps but the optimum damping rates under acceleration are not the same for a FWD and a RWD car.

----------

front 2.5" & Rear full 3"
    I hope this is true, that would mean there are coilovers that will fit the ATS already available.

hood101010 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6 Performance

So...has anyone here purchased a set of these?

ATSFL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T base

i personally am going to be waiting for something from eibach(pro-kit). maybe eventually switch to KW or pfadt if they make non-MRC models.

malaka1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0T 6 speed manual

I just ordered a set from them 2" drop. I will keep you updated as to how the install goes.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.