Sad First Post. My ATS is having open engine surgery at 10 miles. :(
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Sad First Post. My ATS is having open engine surgery at 10 miles. :( in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Last week an ATS manual arrived at my dealer in Canada. Vin D0176871 A 2.0 MT Que and Sunroof. I ...
    bvardy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 MT

Sad First Post. My ATS is having open engine surgery at 10 miles. :(

Last week an ATS manual arrived at my dealer in Canada. Vin D0176871 A 2.0 MT Que and Sunroof. I was excited to take it for a test drive. I was the first to drive it, with 4km on the odometer. I only drove around the block as I had driven many auto ATS's during the search for MY car.

During my first drive I noticed that at any throttle above 5% the car had an extreme loss of power and the engine light came on. I returned to the dealer and informed my sales rep that there was something wrong with the car. He stated that it was still in delivery mode and therefore had the power disabled. He assured me that this would be rectified during PDI.

I continued with the purchase of the car and took delivery last night. My wife drove it home and complained that she prefered our cruze as it was smoother. I then drove it. There was some thing terribly wrong with it. It idled very rough and had no power at all and kept trying to stall. It felt to me as though it were only running on 2 maybee 3 cylinders.

I imeditally returned to the dealer and they gave me a loaner for the night.

I got a call from my sales rep today asking me to return his Regal (the loaner) and pick up a rental. He explained that they needed a special scan tool to read the codes out of it and that will not arrive until tomorow.

I went into the dealer. I picked up the rental from the service manager and asked him for a status update on my car. He told me that they were sending pictures of the engine internals to tech support as they have no idea what is wrong with it.

Summary
    My car has Under 20Kms on it.

1. Had a major issue right off the truck.
    2. Clearly no one checked it after my test drive last week.
    3. Exactly what does the dealer inspect during the PDI? I paid for PDI, if that doesn't catch internal engine failure then what is the point?
    4. Clearly the sales guy is hiding the facts from me.

I am quite upset that my $40K purchase is spending it's first two days ownership with its engine spread across a shop. And I am stuck driving a crappy (by comparison) rental car.

Questions
    1. Has Cadillac customer service been any actual help to any of you?
    2. Anybody else have anything like this?
    3. Is there any chance I can make the dealer give me my trade back and take their broken car back?

I am open to any suggestions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

NY_Mikep72 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 3.6

Re: Sad First Post. My ATS is having open engine surgery at 10 miles. :(

My mother had a similar situation with a 2012 Subaru Forrester. With less than 2K miles on it, her car was losing oil...After the dealer had the car for a week, it was discovered that the engine block was cracked. The car was delivered that way. She fought Subaru Customer Service hard and at the end of the day, they bought the car back for the exact amount that was paid and sold her a new one.

You should fight this, both the dealer as well as GM do not want the bad press.

CJCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    1: On this form, absolutely not. Don't waste your time.

1a: Call Cadillac.

3: Not sure about where you are, but in Texas you have a 3 day buyers remorse clause.

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

If you were the first to drive the car since it was taken off the delivery truck then the Pre-delivery inspection probably wasn't completed
    The PDI is just taking the car out of transport mode, checking the battery and fluids, install certain items that arent installed during shipping, visual inspection and then checking all of the functions along with a quick test drive.
    They only pay the tech about an hour so to do it depending on the car.
    Then a cleaning or detail job.

Hoosier Daddy is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

I'll give you 50 to 1 odds the salesman lied to you about the car just needing to be prepped. He wanted you to be stuck with the problem rather than him losing a sale and the dealer being stuck with a car they couldn't sell.

mikesul is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T manual Thunder Gray

I have never heard of an engine being in "delivery mode". That's B-S!

SLA
    SLA is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T 6MT, 05 LGT, 97 M3

Quote Originally Posted by mikesul View Post
    It's not BS. Many cars use this. It prevents the monkeys transporting, loading, and unloading the cars from wailing on them. Not sure if Caddy does this though.

What I don't understand is why the OP would buy a car without fully getting to test drive it. Delivery mode shmelivery mode. I want a real test drive or you lost a sale. It's like trying on a pair of sneaks that still have the paper in them.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    I don't care what the laws or provisions are, if I drove away in a car that had a major issue it would go right back. And I'd demand a replacement. Not just a fix.
    M5eater likes this.

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Quote Originally Posted by mikesul View Post
    You are wrong...very wrong

1. turn on the emergency flashers

2. start the car, but do not remove your finger from the pressed start button for about 15 to 30 seconds.

3. looking at the DIC while your finger is pressed on the start button, tell us forum members what you see.

repeat to undo, this works with engine on or off

bvardy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 MT

Update...

My Wife called the service department today at 3:00. They still had no idea what is wrong with the car. She told them they better have our Jeep there cause we will be having it back. The service guy responded with ill have some one call you about that.

at 5:30 I went into the dealer and spoke to the service manager who admited they still have no idea what is wrong with it and will need some more time. He tried using the excuse that they are soo new and their techs are inexperienced with them so it may take some time. To which I responded you gys are luck to have me buy you a 45k dollar training aid. then I ask who I speak to about not buying the car.

I had a meeting with the sales manager. Who assures me that he wants me to be happy, that it is not to late to back out of the purchase and he can do so very easy. He asked me for one more day to see what he can do to keep me happy. ( the problem is there are no MT ATS's in my province). He swears that I can back out after tomorow. Technically tomorow is day 4.

I leased the car and the sales manager claimed that fear of a lemon should not effect my decision to keep it since it will be under warrenty for the entire lease. I reminded him that while it is broken i am driving a base verano. No leather No Nav No XM and no power. (terrible car) while paying and insuring for a Cadillac.

I gave them 24 HRS.

We shall see what happens.

I am completly prepared to close my account and let the finance company (GM) repossess it from the dealer. If I am not happy tomorow there is no way in hell that thing will be in my driveway.

Fraggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Horrible for this to happen.

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    I don't care what the laws or provisions are, if I drove away in a car that had a major issue it would go right back. And I'd demand a replacement. Not just a fix.
    this^ I'd chain myself to the dealership doors and go on a hunger strike till I got a new car lol

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by bvardy View Post
    Update...

My Wife called the service department today at 3:00. They still had no idea what is wrong with the car. She told them they better have our Jeep there cause we will be having it back. The service guy responded with ill have some one call you about that.

at 5:30 I went into the dealer and spoke to the service manager who admited they still have no idea what is wrong with it and will need some more time. He tried using the excuse that they are soo new and their techs are inexperienced with them so it may take some time. To which I responded you gys are luck to have me buy you a 45k dollar training aid. then I ask who I speak to about not buying the car.

I had a meeting with the sales manager. Who assures me that he wants me to be happy, that it is not to late to back out of the purchase and he can do so very easy. He asked me for one more day to see what he can do to keep me happy. ( the problem is there are no MT ATS's in my province). He swears that I can back out after tomorow. Technically tomorow is day 4.

I leased the car and the sales manager claimed that fear of a lemon should not effect my decision to keep it since it will be under warrenty for the entire lease. I reminded him that while it is broken i am driving a base verano. No leather No Nav No XM and no power. (terrible car) while paying and insuring for a Cadillac.

I gave them 24 HRS.

We shall see what happens.

I am completly prepared to close my account and let the finance company (GM) repossess it from the dealer. If I am not happy tomorow there is no way in hell that thing will be in my driveway.
    Hello bvardy,

I apologize for the experience you have had at the dealership with your ATS. Have you contacted our customer care team in Canada yet? If you haven’t I would suggest speaking with them concerning this issue. Here is their number: 1-800-263-3777. Please keep us updated concerning this issue. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

torkibe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    The ONLY acceptable answers are "Here is a brand NEW car (or one on order for you)" or "Here is your trade in and your money back in full." Whether it is a $45,000 car or a $200 phone is irrelevant; you are paying for a brand new item and should not have to have it repaired before you even own it!

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

Quote Originally Posted by torkibe View Post
    The ONLY acceptable answers are "Here is a brand NEW car (or one on order for you)" or "Here is your trade in and your money back in full." Whether it is a $45,000 car or a $200 phone is irrelevant; you are paying for a brand new item and should not have to have it repaired before you even own it!
    THIS! right here, if it were a chinese ebay seller there would be

"many apologies valued dear customer! full refund or new product naow! dont be sad stay happy and tank-a-you for your bizness"

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.