Need Help Making a decision on my new ATS 2.0T
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By donavo
  • 1 Post By CADILIKENYC
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Need Help Making a decision on my new ATS 2.0T in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Hello everyone, My story is complex and somewhat annoying so i will keep it short on the history of how ...
    CADILIKENYC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T

Need Help Making a decision on my new ATS 2.0T

Hello everyone,

My story is complex and somewhat annoying so i will keep it short on the history of how and why i am where i am. Im coming from a 2005 cts 3.6, manual tranny, to a 2013 1LTZ Malibu Turbo to finally my 2013 ATS 2.0T. I had a hard time deciding on the options as they can get very expensive. I ended up selecting the Standard ATS 2.0T with cue/no navi, sunroof, manual tranny and heated seats. Have i made a bad choice? Im paying a bit over 37k for it. I dont really need the navi. i do have an i phone with gps if it ever comes to that. im just more concerned about things like not having the magnetic ride suspension. The aesthetics loss in not having the fog lights that i hope to upgrade in the future. I would eventually like to upgrade to the D3 trim package. Do i lose anything else that would be a must have in the standard package? coming from the LTZ malibu that has more options then i have ever seen in a car before, i fear i am spoiled and wont like the ats's options. The ATS is gorgeous and i instantly fell in love with the exterior and the feel of the interior but did not really get to play with the exact model i ordered. In your opinions what should i have done/ selected in terms of options. Selecting the luxury trim, i would not be able to afford 1 additional option. so i figure on what i have already stated. Help!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

donavo is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL

Re: Need Help Making a decision on my new ATS 2.0T

you chose just fine. the upper trims to get pricey. navi isnt that amazing, fog lights are good but oh well...ATS still looks great without them. MRC is probably the biggest loss but that only comes on the highest trim so fk that lol. u got a good deal, picked a good car and well equipped for price. enjoy the sht out of it. the non MRC suspension is just fine IMO. so far ive gone canyoning with it and it helped me keep the lead on my friends with WRX and S2k. idk how the MRC feels since i have never had it. im sure its awesome but the standard suspension is sporty enough i think.
    CADILIKENYC likes this.

I appreciate your feed back Donavo!!! Do you know by any chance if the fog lights can be added after purchase? I really like those lights. Additionally, it sounds as though you have the same car. what trim package did you get? Does the standard have suspension options or is that limited to the highest trim package?

donavo is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL
    Quote Originally Posted by CADILIKENYC View Post
    I appreciate your feed back Donavo!!! Do you know by any chance if the fog lights can be added after purchase? I really like those lights. Additionally, it sounds as though you have the same car. what trim package did you get? Does the standard have suspension options or is that limited to the highest trim package?
    Only highest trim has the suspension. I have a luxury package with a few options. I want to add the lights as well. As soon as I find a good deal on a pair of fog lights and head lights with the cool led thing, I plan to either rewire them to work on my car. There is no official way to do that yet. the lower trims are not wired for it.

marktanner is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 2.0T 6M Black Raven/Caramel

IMO, the two best ways to get this car are as yours is equipped, where it is a real bargain, or as mine is equipped, a Premium. I paid $42K out the door for mine ($45K list), with heated seats/wheel as the only option. For the extra dough, I got the MRC, which does ride better as well as have more grip, the sport seats, the HID headlights, which are considerably brighter, plus the leather/wood interior, full upgraded stereo, folding back seat, and all of the bells and whistles: Nav, heads up display, driver awareness package, LEDs and lit door handles, and the 18" forged wheels. The price differential for the Premium over a Luxury is only about $2K if they are similarly equipped with 18s, Nav, and driver awareness package, and I think $2K for the MRC, sport seats, HIDs, and HUD is also a bargain. Plus, a similarly equipped BMW 328 is $5-6 grand more, making it an even better bargain.

As yours is presently equipped, it is a bargain sport sedan, and the basic bones are all there. At the other end, it is a bargain sports luxury sedan, and while costing more, still not unreasonable for the market. So, it just depends what you're looking for, or how much you're willing to pay. In any event, any of the manuals are a great deal, at all levels.

bravnik is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T Premium, Raven/Murano, Sunroof, CAP

Personally I didn't want to worry about wanting things so I just went for a Premium. This way I had no regrets. The ONLY thing I wished my car had was the side detection but I was not willing to pay the huge amount they wanted for that package. So I guess we all have our thresholds

investor74 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '97 Forest Green Catera

Just wondering, how did you detour to the Malibu, if I may ask?

Quote Originally Posted by investor74 View Post
    Just wondering, how did you detour to the Malibu, if I may ask?
    I bought a new 2005 CTS in late 2007 and at 35k miles the engine seized. GM replaced(warranty). At 70k miles the 2nd new engine seized again. Both seized engines were caused by manufacturer defects. Instead of GM replacing the 2nd engine that was out of warranty. they offered me a $3,000 dollar incentive along with buying me out of my worthless car for what i owed (around 4 K). if and only if i bought a new car. At the time i was deep in mechanic debt from the many other expensive problems from the car. Plus i was still paying for worthless that hunk of metal. The dealership had a fully loaded 2LTZ and offered it to me for $3,000 off MSRP. I figured i could not afford to get into another new CTS with any worthy options. so i jumped on it. (its actually a very nice car but i am a caddy man!! I own vanity plates that say CADILIKE and i obviously was only taking the malibu as a place holder.(look kinda stupid driving a malibu with cadilike plates). Aside from all the financial incentives i was really curious about the turbo engine. at that time it had just come out. Ironically enough, after all my hardship i thought i was out of trouble with a new car but man i was wrong. after owning the malibu for 1 week, my alternator caught on fire and basically it ended up in the shop for 27 days. it prompted engineers from the assembly facility to fly out and investigate. to make a long story shorter. with some legal persuasion. I was able to get bought out of my malibu at full MSRP and i squeezed into a new ATS for a few extra bucks. I am really happy with the dealership because they helped me as best as they could but i am very pissed at GM. when i called them to ask for a replacement car after the fire. i spoke with the coldest most rude rep i have ever dealt with. His was such an ass and in the fewest amount of words said "we will not do anything for you period". I'm not wealthy and work hard for my money so his simple easy decision turned my world upside down on a matter that was brainless in my opinion. My car had 400 miles on it and it caught on fire. It caused body damage and required a new paint job etc... Obviously with my legal persuasion that changed. Whats fair is fair. I am not looking to make money off of them, i just want a car that is worth the 35k hard earned dollars i spent on it. Anyways, your curiosity on why i detoured to a malibu was my segway to spill my guts about my sad sad story. The Happy ending is that i switch my car on Monday!!! 2013 ATS Manual tranny, sunroof, heated seats, QUE/no navi, black on black. I will do the D3 body kit by the end of the year and maybe some trifecta mods but we will see. apparently my luck with car i will need the warranty to the fullest. this forum is the best and people are soooo helpful. I wish one day i can offer people guidance as i have received here. I hope i made the right car choice. there are soo many great options for the ATS and i feel like im missing out. Maybe in a year or so i can trade up.
    investor74 likes this.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by CADILIKENYC View Post
    I bought a new 2005 CTS in late 2007 and at 35k miles the engine seized. GM replaced(warranty). At 70k miles the 2nd new engine seized again. Both seized engines were caused by manufacturer defects. Instead of GM replacing the 2nd engine that was out of warranty. they offered me a $3,000 dollar incentive along with buying me out of my worthless car for what i owed (around 4 K). if and only if i bought a new car. At the time i was deep in mechanic debt from the many other expensive problems from the car. Plus i was still paying for worthless that hunk of metal. The dealership had a fully loaded 2LTZ and offered it to me for $3,000 off MSRP. I figured i could not afford to get into another new CTS with any worthy options. so i jumped on it. (its actually a very nice car but i am a caddy man!! I own vanity plates that say CADILIKE and i obviously was only taking the malibu as a place holder.(look kinda stupid driving a malibu with cadilike plates). Aside from all the financial incentives i was really curious about the turbo engine. at that time it had just come out. Ironically enough, after all my hardship i thought i was out of trouble with a new car but man i was wrong. after owning the malibu for 1 week, my alternator caught on fire and basically it ended up in the shop for 27 days. it prompted engineers from the assembly facility to fly out and investigate. to make a long story shorter. with some legal persuasion. I was able to get bought out of my malibu at full MSRP and i squeezed into a new ATS for a few extra bucks. I am really happy with the dealership because they helped me as best as they could but i am very pissed at GM. when i called them to ask for a replacement car after the fire. i spoke with the coldest most rude rep i have ever dealt with. His was such an ass and in the fewest amount of words said "we will not do anything for you period". I'm not wealthy and work hard for my money so his simple easy decision turned my world upside down on a matter that was brainless in my opinion. My car had 400 miles on it and it caught on fire. It caused body damage and required a new paint job etc... Obviously with my legal persuasion that changed. Whats fair is fair. I am not looking to make money off of them, i just want a car that is worth the 35k hard earned dollars i spent on it. Anyways, your curiosity on why i detoured to a malibu was my segway to spill my guts about my sad sad story. The Happy ending is that i switch my car on Monday!!! 2013 ATS Manual tranny, sunroof, heated seats, QUE/no navi, black on black. I will do the D3 body kit by the end of the year and maybe some trifecta mods but we will see. apparently my luck with car i will need the warranty to the fullest. this forum is the best and people are soooo helpful. I wish one day i can offer people guidance as i have received here. I hope i made the right car choice. there are soo many great options for the ATS and i feel like im missing out. Maybe in a year or so i can trade up.
    Hello CADILIKENYC,

I have read through your post and I apologize for the experiences that you have had with your CTS and Malibu. I hope that your ATS will be different! I would like to thank you for your continued patronage of our product even through your experiences. If you have any questions or concerns regarding your new ATS, please don’t hesitate to reach out to Laura or myself on the forum. Thank you very much for taking the time to read my post and enjoy your new vehicle!

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

sd vidiot is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium RWD 6M

One other issue to consider are the seats. In the Premium, you get the extra adjustments of extending the seat as well as tipping the bottom cushion. This makes all the difference for me. You should sit in both before commiting.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.