Competition Mode ???
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Competition Mode ??? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I saw in an article I can put my 2013 ATS 3.6 Auto AWD in a Competition Mode !!!! Is ...
    Steve247 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6

Competition Mode ???

I saw in an article I can put my 2013 ATS 3.6 Auto AWD in a Competition Mode !!!! Is this done by just deactivating stability track and traction control and keeping it in Sport Mode ? Can't really notice a difference from Sport Mode versus Tour Mode. RPM's should go a little higher when switching into Sport Mode, no ??. Is there REALLY a difference or is Caddy pulling my chain ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

blue_skies is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6L Luxury

Re: Competition Mode ???

Quote Originally Posted by Steve247 View Post
    I saw in an article I can put my 2013 ATS 3.6 Auto AWD in a Competition Mode !!!! Is this done by just deactivating stability track and traction control and keeping it in Sport Mode ? Can't really notice a difference from Sport Mode versus Tour Mode. RPM's should go a little higher when switching into Sport Mode, no ??. Is there REALLY a difference or is Caddy pulling my chain ?
    On the Premium, Sports Mode activates the MRC.

The AWD does not have MRC, neither do the non-Premium models.

On all models, the Sports mode stiffens the steering, and activates the PAL algorithm, which makes the car more spiritied in response to the gas pedal (shifts down in turns, holds lower gears longer, drops a gear, moves shift point up). But - there is a but - you have to drive with a HEAVY foot to activate this response. If not, you will hardly notice the difference, expect for the steering.

Mileage decreases surprisingly little in Sports Mode.

Stability Track and Traction Control are the same, I believe - there is only one button to turn it on or off.

I guess that Sports Mode ON and Stability Track OFF qualifies as 'Track Mode",,,

bungee91 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Opulent ATS 2.0T Premium Manual
    On my vehicle hitting the traction control button twice quickly activates competition mode.

I have no idea what models have this (I'm RWD MRC) and a message comes up that states "competition mode" something something.

Bertha D Blues is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T AWD, '13 SRX AWD Performance

I agree with Steve247 on the lack of differences in Sport vs. Touring. I’ve pushed my car hard (on the road and even harder on a vacant parking lot) trying to find a difference in shift points and a hint of PAL. I get nothing. I used Torque Pro to log acceleration runs at ¾ throttle. I used an aluminum spacer block behind the gas pedal for repeatable ¾-throttle test results. My data showed no difference in shift points between Sport and Touring and no difference in throttle response (throttle % on Torque).
    In testing for PAL I drove hard into a curve whose posted speed was 15 mph. I entered at 70, braking hard through the curve and exited at 50. When I got back into the throttle my trans had upshifted in the turn to 6th gear and 1500 screaming rpm. My service advisor said Sport is working but I’m going to shove my data plots in his face if he doesn’t believe me. I’ll stop typing now or I might say something that’ll get me thrown out of Cadillacdom. Bert Ξ:^(

Quote Originally Posted by bungee91
    On my vehicle hitting the traction control button twice quickly activates competition mode.

I have no idea what models have this (I'm RWD MRC) and a message comes up that states "competition mode" something something.
    Bungee, I will try this and let you know if hitting the button twice quickly works. Thanks.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by blue_skies

On the Premium, Sports Mode activates the MRC.

The AWD does not have MRC, neither do the non-Premium models.

On all models, the Sports mode stiffens the steering, and activates the PAL algorithm, which makes the car more spiritied in response to the gas pedal (shifts down in turns, holds lower gears longer, drops a gear, moves shift point up). But - there is a but - you have to drive with a HEAVY foot to activate this response. If not, you will hardly notice the difference, expect for the steering.

Mileage decreases surprisingly little in Sports Mode.

Stability Track and Traction Control are the same, I believe - there is only one button to turn it on or off.

I guess that Sports Mode ON and Stability Track OFF qualifies as 'Track Mode",,,
    Blue Skies.
    First off thank you for your input I really appreciate it. I came out of an Audi S5 V8 and I guess my expectations are a little to high at the moment for the ATS 3.6. With that, I do drive the car hard at times and have noticed the RPM's hang at a higher level (45/5k) after I release the throttle. At first I thought the throttle was stuck but now I'm guessing I'm pushing the car to the point that needs to be activated !!!!!! I wasn't aware that to activate this I needed to push the car to this level. I will continue to test and advise. Thanks for your support pal.

Siren05 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T RWD. 2011 STI Hatchback.

Quote Originally Posted by Bertha D Blues View Post
    I agree with Steve247 on the lack of differences in Sport vs. Touring. I’ve pushed my car hard (on the road and even harder on a vacant parking lot) trying to find a difference in shift points and a hint of PAL. I get nothing. I used Torque Pro to log acceleration runs at ¾ throttle. I used an aluminum spacer block behind the gas pedal for repeatable ¾-throttle test results. My data showed no difference in shift points between Sport and Touring and no difference in throttle response (throttle % on Torque).

In testing for PAL I drove hard into a curve whose posted speed was 15 mph. I entered at 70, braking hard through the curve and exited at 50. When I got back into the throttle my trans had upshifted in the turn to 6th gear and 1500 screaming rpm. My service advisor said Sport is working but I’m going to shove my data plots in his face if he doesn’t believe me. I’ll stop typing now or I might say something that’ll get me thrown out of Cadillacdom. Bert Ξ:^(
    My pal is aggressive if I get on her in sport the ATS LOCKS THAT GEAR UNTIL REDLINE.
    on braking rev matching hard downshifts. Love that. Happy

Bertha D Blues is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T AWD, '13 SRX AWD Performance

Quote Originally Posted by Siren05 View Post
    My pal is aggressive if I get on her in sport the ATS LOCKS THAT GEAR UNTIL REDLINE.
    Grrr! I get squat. And, pressing the traction control button twice quickly just turns it off and back on. Bert

jph
    jph is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6 RWD premium

Quote Originally Posted by Bertha D Blues View Post
    Grrr! I get squat. And, pressing the traction control button twice quickly just turns it off and back on. Bert
    i can never time it perfectly the first time. i need to keep pressing it a few times until both TC and stability are off.
    it's one of the few features that annoy me

J.

Quote Originally Posted by Siren05

So I RE - TESTED my car today and yes, it reacts the way you "all" explained. Driving the car pretty hard will do the following::: lock up the current gear and HOLD it till it red lines and then downshifts to a reasonable lower gear in a higher rpm ! I was so used to my Audi S5 V/8 trans that was ""flawless"" ... I now have a much better understanding of the car now, actually cool that it seems more of a drivers car versus a car that's designed to do all the work for you !!! I guess there are 2 benefits--- 1 your driving a nice Caddy at normal speeds and cruising, then when ya wanna get on it, it's ready to rock n roll... Thanks all...

----------

Quote Originally Posted by jph

i can never time it perfectly the first time. i need to keep pressing it a few times until both TC and stability are off.
    it's one of the few features that annoy me

J.
    I tried the double tap and lmfao NOT working !!! Only disabled stability, then traction or vice versa... Nooooo "competition mode for me"

romanats is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ats

mine is 2.0 standard and it does not have competition mode

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve247

I posted in the general forum too. For reference and comparison, this is straight out of the CTS manual.

Competitive Driving Mode

To select this optional handling mode, press the TCS/StabiliTrak button quickly two times and
    STABILITRAK COMPETITIVE MODE displays in the Driver Information Center (DIC). While in the StabiliTrak Competitive Mode,
    the StabiliTrak Off light comes on, TCS does not limit wheel spin, and more effort is required to turn the
    steering wheel. Adjust your driving accordingly.

Press the TCS/StabiliTrak button again, or turn the ignition to
    ACC/ACCESSORY and restart the vehicle, to turn TCS back on and turn the TCS/StabiliTrak warning light off.

Notice: When traction control is
    turned off, or Competitive Driving
    Mode is active, it is possible to lose traction. If you attempt to shift with the drive wheels
    spinning with a loss of traction, it is possible to cause damage to the transmission. Do not attempt to shift when the drive wheels do

romanats is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ats

cts is not ats

I will try it again tomorrow. Thou when I tried it ONLY the stabilitrack showed off, nothing about competition mode was seen in the DIC.

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by romanats
    cts is not ats
    Obviously. . Aside from MRC that is in the ATS 3.6 Premium,I would guess they work similarly.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Steve247
    I will try it again tomorrow. Thou when I tried it ONLY the stabilitrack showed off, nothing about competition mode was seen in the DIC.
    Did you press twice quickly?

MASCAD is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS4 3.6 2013; CTS-V COUPE 2011

[QUOTE=gohawks63;3508882]Obviously. . Aside from MRC that is in the ATS 3.6 Premium,I would guess they work similarly.[COLOR="Silver"]

See my posting in the General Discussion section. Unlike the CTS, competition mode does not display in the DIC on my ATS 3.6 performance. (no MRC) Don't believe there is any mention of competition mode in the ATS manual either.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.