ATS 2.0T Standard Steering feel
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, ATS 2.0T Standard Steering feel in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I took my ATS in today to fix a problem with a rattle in the rear speakers I kept hearing ...
  1. #1
    terrific is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 T Standard
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Age
    39
    Posts
    16

    ATS 2.0T Standard Steering feel

    I took my ATS in today to fix a problem with a rattle in the rear speakers I kept hearing with songs that have alot of bass. They were nice enough to loan me 2.5 ATS standard with CUE. The first thing I noticed was that the steering in this 'lower' model was much better than mine. In my car the steering is very light, minor inputs move the car alot. It's very agile yes, but I wished it had more weight to it. It just felt a little too loose in my opinion, i figured this was how all of them are. So back to the 2.5, the steering is much heavier, is makes the car feel more planted, much less travel with inputs at speed. I really LIKE it. Is there something wrong with my car? Maybe it was something different with the suspension? I assumed all 2.5's have the FE2, same as my 2.0. You cant get FE3 with a 2.5 can you?




    EDIT: Another note, the 2.5 loaner had the cue and upgraded 10 speaker option same as mine. I noticed the same rattles coming from the rear speaker as mine. Anyone have this issue? If i wedge something between the rear glass and the speaker the rattle goes away.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    gfxbt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T MT
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Age
    27
    Posts
    131

    Re: ATS 2.0T Standard Steering feel

    It is interesting that you say the 2.5 steering feels heavier. I haven't driven one so I can't really provide much input. My guess is that they have the same ZF rack, so steering feel should be the same. The steering is also variable assist - the bane (figuratively) of my existence. I have to say though that in this car, I hardly notice it. A lot of cars with variable electric power steering feel like a video game at low speeds due to the almost non-existent force needed to steer. I initially thought the steering in my 2.0T felt pretty light. Then I recently drove an e46 M3, Z3 M Coupe, '67 911s, Boxster Spyder, and 997 GT3RS. It was very interesting driving all of those cars back-to-back, and when I got back to the airport, I drove my car home. Drove all cars (including mine) in the same day. Although some of those cars had much weightier steering, I think the steering in the 2.0T feels good and is sufficiently heavy. The one thing I really did notice was how light the clutch is in our cars. Would definitely appreciate a stiffer clutch. When I got in my car after driving the others, I nearly shoved my foot through the firewall, expecting much greater force than was actually required.

  4. #3
    CZ4
    CZ4 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 Turbo
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    27

    Re: ATS 2.0T Standard Steering feel

    whats the mileage on your car vs the loaner?

    my car is 3 weeks old with 1000kms. Initially I was also concerned the super light steering, felt like my parent's Camry hybrid.

    now there's definitely more weight to it.

    I would guess this has to do with the suspension settling. or maybe my steering/suspension is breaking down already

  5. #4
    romanats is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ats
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    298

    Re: ATS 2.0T Standard Steering feel

    I have a 2.0 and the car came with 17 wheels the steering felt very tight up untill i put on 18 wheels
    now it feels very light. So maybe its the wheels thats causing this loose feel.

  6. #5
    terrific is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 T Standard
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Age
    39
    Posts
    16

    Re: ATS 2.0T Standard Steering feel

    The loaner car had about 8K miles on it. Mine has just over 2500. I've only driven the one loaner so maybe others are different. Both cars had the exact same 17" wheels with run flat tires. The 2.5 is a dog compared to the 2.0T but I really miss that steering feel. Is this something I could ask them to adjust? I might try messing with the tire pressure, I have 35/36 cold and around 37/38 warm.

  7. #6
    Cadillac Cust Svc's Avatar
    Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    11,282

    Re: ATS 2.0T Standard Steering feel

    Quote Originally Posted by terrific View Post
    I took my ATS in today to fix a problem with a rattle in the rear speakers I kept hearing with songs that have alot of bass. They were nice enough to loan me 2.5 ATS standard with CUE. The first thing I noticed was that the steering in this 'lower' model was much better than mine. In my car the steering is very light, minor inputs move the car alot. It's very agile yes, but I wished it had more weight to it. It just felt a little too loose in my opinion, i figured this was how all of them are. So back to the 2.5, the steering is much heavier, is makes the car feel more planted, much less travel with inputs at speed. I really LIKE it. Is there something wrong with my car? Maybe it was something different with the suspension? I assumed all 2.5's have the FE2, same as my 2.0. You cant get FE3 with a 2.5 can you?




    EDIT: Another note, the 2.5 loaner had the cue and upgraded 10 speaker option same as mine. I noticed the same rattles coming from the rear speaker as mine. Anyone have this issue? If i wedge something between the rear glass and the speaker the rattle goes away.
    Hello terrific,

    I apologize that you are experiencing issues with the speakers on your ATS. I am glad to hear that the dealership is in the process of trying to fix the issue. Be sure to keep us updated on the progress of that. If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to private message us and we will look into them for you. Thank you very much for your time and I look forward to your updates.

    Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

  8. #7
    ATSMAUI is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1

    Re: ATS 2.0T Standard Steering feel

    Hello terrific. Was the dealer able to fix the problem with the rattle? Mine has become progressively worse to the point where I'm going to have to take it in and I'm just dreading they won't correct it. It rattles without the stereo even being on! I have to say I've been very disappointed with this car so far. I only have 2,000 miles on it and have had it for 5 months. A week after I got it, a piece of the passenger side door handle disappeared, just popped off. Then the drivers side door panel developed a squeak after about two months, now for the last month this speaker package shelf rattle! And don't get me started on how horrible the fuel mileage is! I'm only averaging 19 MPG! Ridiculous! My 2010 C class 6 cylinder that was my previous car before this would constantly return 24 MPG. The standard headlights are scary bad. On our island the roads are very dark and I have NEVER had a car with worse headlights. I've had European cars for the last 15 years but decided to give American a chance because of all the positive reviews on the ATS. Regretting it every day, can't wait for this lease to end in 31 months! ARGH!

  9. #8
    terrific is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 T Standard
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Age
    39
    Posts
    16

    Re: ATS 2.0T Standard Steering feel

    ATSMAUI,

    There were not able to fix the issue. I took it back 3 times. Each time they said they added padding to the speaker shelf in the back. I have some very thick pieces of felt that i had to jam in the back between the rear left window and the speaker shelf to fix it. I have about 4800 miles on my car now and the Avg mileage is around 22. This is mostly city driving. I took a 200 mile trip and reset the MPG gauge and came in around 32 MPG. So save the speaker issues I do like the car. Hopefully they can resolve your issue. If they do, please let me know! I may take mine back for the 4th time.

  10. #9
    Cadillac Cust Svc's Avatar
    Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    11,282

    Re: ATS 2.0T Standard Steering feel

    Quote Originally Posted by ATSMAUI View Post
    Hello terrific. Was the dealer able to fix the problem with the rattle? Mine has become progressively worse to the point where I'm going to have to take it in and I'm just dreading they won't correct it. It rattles without the stereo even being on! I have to say I've been very disappointed with this car so far. I only have 2,000 miles on it and have had it for 5 months. A week after I got it, a piece of the passenger side door handle disappeared, just popped off. Then the drivers side door panel developed a squeak after about two months, now for the last month this speaker package shelf rattle! And don't get me started on how horrible the fuel mileage is! I'm only averaging 19 MPG! Ridiculous! My 2010 C class 6 cylinder that was my previous car before this would constantly return 24 MPG. The standard headlights are scary bad. On our island the roads are very dark and I have NEVER had a car with worse headlights. I've had European cars for the last 15 years but decided to give American a chance because of all the positive reviews on the ATS. Regretting it every day, can't wait for this lease to end in 31 months! ARGH!
    Hello ATSMAUI,

    I apologize for the trouble you have had with your ATS. I understand how these ongoing issues are frustrating to deal with. I am sorry you feel this way about your vehicle based on the current situation. If you would like to further discuss anything, please reach out to me via private message.

    Sincerely,

    Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

    ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by terrific View Post
    ATSMAUI,

    There were not able to fix the issue. I took it back 3 times. Each time they said they added padding to the speaker shelf in the back. I have some very thick pieces of felt that i had to jam in the back between the rear left window and the speaker shelf to fix it. I have about 4800 miles on my car now and the Avg mileage is around 22. This is mostly city driving. I took a 200 mile trip and reset the MPG gauge and came in around 32 MPG. So save the speaker issues I do like the car. Hopefully they can resolve your issue. If they do, please let me know! I may take mine back for the 4th time.
    Hello terrific,

    I am sorry you and others are experiencing a rattle with the speakers in your vehicle. I understand how not being able to fix a vehicle issue can be frustrating. If you would like to further discuss this concern, please private message me and include your contact information, VIN, current mileage and dealership name and location.

    Thanks,

    Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

  11. #10
    l.cassar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    31

    Re: ATS 2.0T Standard Steering feel

    Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    Hello ATSMAUI,

    I apologize for the trouble you have had with your ATS. I understand how these ongoing issues are frustrating to deal with. I am sorry you feel this way about your vehicle based on the current situation. If you would like to further discuss anything, please reach out to me via private message.

    Sincerely,

    Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

    ----------



    Hello terrific,

    I am sorry you and others are experiencing a rattle with the speakers in your vehicle. I understand how not being able to fix a vehicle issue can be frustrating. If you would like to further discuss this concern, please private message me and include your contact information, VIN, current mileage and dealership name and location.

    Thanks,

    Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care
    I'm also having this problem, even at low volumes and low bass, its truly annoying. I tried using foam, it helped but then you could hear other parts rattling as a result. The only fix in my opinion is two put the volume full to drown out the vibrations.

    I haven't brought it to a dealer, that's going to be the next step when i have the time.

    ----------

    I've got to say, it's the little things that can ruin it. Cadillac claims that they are trying to attract younger buyers, I can tell you this is a HUGE issue for younger buyers. I do not understand how Cadillac could release a car like that?

  12. #11
    Fraggy's Avatar
    Fraggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    911
    I'm only getting 18.1 mpg. My 335 driven the same way got over 19 mpg and was 3.0L 6 cylinder. Weird.

    I love the ATS tho but I should have opted for the 3.6.

  13. #12
    Cadillac Cust Svc's Avatar
    Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    11,282

    Re: ATS 2.0T Standard Steering feel

    Quote Originally Posted by l.cassar View Post
    I'm also having this problem, even at low volumes and low bass, its truly annoying. I tried using foam, it helped but then you could hear other parts rattling as a result. The only fix in my opinion is two put the volume full to drown out the vibrations.

    I haven't brought it to a dealer, that's going to be the next step when i have the time.

    ----------

    I've got to say, it's the little things that can ruin it. Cadillac claims that they are trying to attract younger buyers, I can tell you this is a HUGE issue for younger buyers. I do not understand how Cadillac could release a car like that?
    Hello l.cassar,

    I understand your frustration while experiencing this concern as well. When you find out the day and time that you will be bringing your vehicle into your dealer, please let me know. I would like to stay involved throughout that process. Send me a private message or email to socialmedia@gm.com so we can further discuss your situation.

    Regards,

    Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

  14. #13
    stevenzoz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Age
    24
    Posts
    96

    Re: ATS 2.0T Standard Steering feel

    I have the speaker vibration issue. My dealer told me it is an issue GM is aware of with no current fix. Its actually caused by the rear center seatbelt mechanism. (that is where the vibration is coming from)

  15. #14
    Cadillac Cust Svc's Avatar
    Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    11,282

    Re: ATS 2.0T Standard Steering feel

    Quote Originally Posted by stevenzoz View Post
    I have the speaker vibration issue. My dealer told me it is an issue GM is aware of with no current fix. Its actually caused by the rear center seatbelt mechanism. (that is where the vibration is coming from)
    Hello stevenzoz,

    I am sorry to hear that the dealership informed you that there is no current repair for the issue you are experiencing. I have documented your concerns within our database and made the appropriate team aware of these concerns. If you would like me to contact your dealership to look into this further, please feel free to private message me.

    Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

  16. #15
    l.cassar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    31

    Re: ATS 2.0T Standard Steering feel

    Quote Originally Posted by stevenzoz View Post
    I have the speaker vibration issue. My dealer told me it is an issue GM is aware of with no current fix. Its actually caused by the rear center seatbelt mechanism. (that is where the vibration is coming from)
    That's why i didn't bring mine in, generally mechanics couldn't be bothered with this kinda stuff. Gotta say its a terrible sound i feel like ripping my back shelf off.

    ----------

    I really want a fix for this issue, i'm gonna start a dedicated thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting