My Intake Thus far (pix/vid)
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, My Intake Thus far (pix/vid) in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; So here is my intake AS OF NOW I'm getting the heat shield made next week and WILL post pics ...
    Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

My Intake Thus far (pix/vid)

So here is my intake AS OF NOW I'm getting the heat shield made next week and WILL post pics after as well, but everyone wants to see pictures of intakes lol! The heat shield will be a full box with lexan over top and a hole in the bottom with a pipe feeding to the wheel well to keep the hot stuff out and the cool stuff coming in.

We originally replaced the rubber tube with aluminium pipe, but after logging I wasn't happy, so we opted just to not bother, didn't add any performance anyways. The build quality on the piece is EXCELLENT, exact of the plastic, and the filter is a GMPP filter as well, I have no C.E.L's and after logging for a week theirs no issues either, everything's great

In terms of power gains? dunno, getting it dyno'd in the coming weeks, as well as tuned, but I will say its got more pull at the top.

For some reason windows movie maker Eff's with video quality, its louder in person I asure you, but I'd like to share with everyone here anyways

***********dont mind the Zip tie, its temporary till the heatshield goes in*****************

anywhooo questions? comments?
    ATScape and ATScape like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

gfxbt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T MT
    Did you take the resonator off (it's right after the rubber tube, right before the turbo)?

----------

Also, forgot to mention - your intake looks awesome. Great work.

----------

Also, forgot to mention, your intake looks awesome. Great work man.

Re: My Intake Thus far (pix/vid)

Quote Originally Posted by gfxbt View Post
    Did you take the resonator off (it's right after the rubber tube, right before the turbo)?

----------

Also, forgot to mention - your intake looks awesome. Great work.[COLOR="Silver"]
    no we left that piece on, inside it has an Oil separator, and I really didn't wanna fiddle with that at the moment, I could always in the future I suppose...

and thanks I'm really pleased with it so far, cant wait for the heat shield housing, gonna look sweet

ATScape is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T 6M

Sounds sweet

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo Supremo View Post
    !!!VIDEO!!!* why cant you embed on this forum?
    VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDalryttReA
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Yes I hate it that you can't do this:

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    Yes I hate it that you can't do this:
    ah found it lol, this is the only forum I've been on where you couldn't just C+P the link, well thanks for posting that up and making me look for how to do it haha!

An oil separator? Please elaborate. Thanks.

eh, hard to explain, pop that part off and have a look in there, theirs a plastic honeycomb insert, I'm pretty sure its an oil baffle of some sort as theirs a line that connects with it that can foul the intake with oil.

Honestly, with aluminum pipe it was a TAD louder (not much) and like I said, when we data logged over a week with that pipe I didn't really feel comfortable with what we were getting.(running a bit lean)

I mean I suppose it could be removed and tuned out and whatever, but it just really wasn't enough of a tone difference without it to hassle with replacing it, and I HIGHLY doubt theres ANY performance change with that piece on there as well. My main goal is/was to get that sweet sound I like outta the car while retaining as much factory stuff as I can.

but I suppose things can always be tweaked in the future, my biggest thing was to get that filter/maf bung made and put on.

A final word, if any of you are putting a custom made intake on, please for the love of God DATA LOG IT! my MAF was off by a few inches(corrected now) and it was mucking with the trims, so keep that in mind.

I have taken it apart, and in fact, have the resonator out as we speak. I was under the impression that it was simply there as passive noise cancellation. Now that you talk about oil, I am concerned about running the car without it.

I'm just curious (as I am not extremely knowledgable), where you think the oil would be coming from that the resonator is trapping. The air going into the resonator is passing through the air box, through the "rubber tube," then into the resonator before turbo. It seems to me like it would just be ambient air traveling Pre-turbo (I.e., just air from outside, and thus, no oil).

Not trying to challenge you here, just trying to get a better understanding.

Also, you talk about data logging with the new intake. What are you using to data log? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by gfxbt View Post
    I have taken it apart, and in fact, have the resonator out as we speak. I was under the impression that it was simply there as passive noise cancellation. Now that you talk about oil, I am concerned about running the car without it.

I'm just curious (as I am not extremely knowledgable), where you think the oil would be coming from that the resonator is trapping. The air going into the resonator is passing through the air box, through the "rubber tube," then into the resonator before turbo. It seems to me like it would just be ambient air traveling Pre-turbo (I.e., just air from outside, and thus, no oil).

Not trying to challenge you here, just trying to get a better understanding.

Also, you talk about data logging with the new intake. What are you using to data log? Thanks.

nah its alright I didn't think you were challenging me lol.

Airs not the only thing going into the intake, you see that Braided line you see going into that housing? pop it off and feel the inside of it, I'm willing to bet its greasy, its a breather/return line, now, I don't know if that insert is for oil separation or a sound baffle (race shop says an oil control device) but we just erred on the side of safety and felt it was best not to muck around with it for now, theirs just no need to do so.

Thanks for the explanation.

Siren05 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T RWD. 2011 STI Hatchback.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo Supremo View Post
    eh, hard to explain, pop that part off and have a look in there, theirs a plastic honeycomb insert, I'm pretty sure its an oil baffle of some sort as theirs a line that connects with it that can foul the intake with oil.

Honestly, with aluminum pipe it was a TAD louder (not much) and like I said, when we data logged over a week with that pipe I didn't really feel comfortable with what we were getting.(running a bit lean)

I mean I suppose it could be removed and tuned out and whatever, but it just really wasn't enough of a tone difference without it to hassle with replacing it, and I HIGHLY doubt theres ANY performance change with that piece on there as well. My main goal is/was to get that sweet sound I like outta the car while retaining as much factory stuff as I can.

but I suppose things can always be tweaked in the future, my biggest thing was to get that filter/maf bung made and put on.

A final word, if any of you are putting a custom made intake on, please for the love of God DATA LOG IT! my MAF was off by a few inches(corrected now) and it was mucking with the trims, so keep that in mind.
    I remember I was told on this very thread that I should punch myself in the face if I think an intake could
    Cause leaning out under load which could be very bad for boosty engines. Also in order for you to utilize
    Intake a tune is needed to account for the extra air and create power..
    I always do intakes last with injectors. for hirsepower
    SLA and SLA like this.

SLA
    SLA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T 6MT, 05 LGT, 97 M3

Quote Originally Posted by Siren05 View Post
    I remember I was told on this very thread that I should punch myself in the face if I think an intake could
    Cause leaning out under load which could be very bad for boosty engines. Also in order for you to utilize
    Yep! I said the same thing.

Also, from a post I read the other day it doesn't sound like you'll see any gains without tuning. Apparently the ECU has a learn down feature back to the stock power levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Siren05 View Post
    lol I know, and like I said, gains? eh, but you can feel it pull a wee bit more in the top end, also, I'm getting it tuned in the future, I mainly got the intake done now because I LOVE the sound it creates, on my supercharged cobalt I got the intake done JUST to hear more blower whine... FINALLY I have stated that I've been monitoring it, and with this current setup everything seems to be running a-ok, shes not running lean. and that wasn't me that told you to punch yourself lol.

Quote Originally Posted by SLA View Post
    Yep! I said the same thing.

Also, from a post I read the other day it doesn't sound like you'll see any gains without tuning. Apparently the ECU has a learn down feature back to the stock power levels.
    yeah and like I said, I'm mainly doing this for the change in sound, I love the way the car sounds now and I know that until I get it tuned(which is happening after I get the DP done) I wont really see any gains.

Dun worry guys I got this :P I know that intakes dont produce any noticeable gains without tunes, but I'll say it ONCE more, I did this for three reasons.

1) I'll be getting a tune in the near future, thats for sure, after my downpipe is done, so I got the intake done NOW because I could and now when I DO get it tuned it'll all be there already, and as long as its not running lean/rich (Which its not) then theirs nothin wrong with having it on now.

2) I just wanted it to sound cool, hearing that turbo spool up makes it all worth while

3) Because I can

frankdatank is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ats

How does everyone data log? What are you using?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.