My Intake Thus far (pix/vid) - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, My Intake Thus far (pix/vid) in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Why not remove the "honeycomb" as it probably is a restriction to airflow. Put a RevExtreme catch can on that ...
    mikesul is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T manual Thunder Gray

Re: My Intake Thus far (pix/vid)

Why not remove the "honeycomb" as it probably is a restriction to airflow. Put a RevExtreme catch can on that line to remove any oil. I had one on my CTS 3.6DI and it did remove oil to keep the intake plenum clean. Maybe Tracy can make a smaller unit for the ATS turbo for this application.

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

Quote Originally Posted by mikesul View Post
    Why not remove the "honeycomb" as it probably is a restriction to airflow. Put a RevExtreme catch can on that line to remove any oil. I had one on my CTS 3.6DI and it did remove oil to keep the intake plenum clean. Maybe Tracy can make a smaller unit for the ATS turbo for this application.
    hmmm, thats not a bad idea and one seriously worth lookin into[COLOR="Silver"]

FDNY-L107 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Auto RWD

you guys may want to reach out to Tracy at RX Performance. Recommend installing an oil catch can. That will solve any oil issues. I would consider Tracy an expert in this area and his company makes some of the best catch cans on the market today. I was told that the plastic located in the intake is indeed a baffle for noise not to separate oil.

tcnole is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

Quick question, what is the intake pipe diameter?

Raven2007 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade

This link will help explain. Ive had several GM vehicles # removed the baffle from the MAF. It helps some, and Nome have been tuned

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=2945749

roadpie4u is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 M6 FE3

Every MAF technology is different - you cannot make a blanket statement about performance and guarantees based on this or that when changing components - even a cold air intake or air filter will impact the reading and the MAF may not be able to perfectly correct/account for it. 9 times out of 10 with newer cars its okay, but that's no guarantee.

Go look at the 4G63 DSM guys from the 90s. Their MAF had a metered passage and an unmetered passage. It knew the diameters of both and calculated the flow based on the flow of one of them. There was a honeycomb in the metered portion to make the flow more laminar - remove the honeycomb for less flow restriction and you gain top end flow - but at low velocity the flow became unpredictable and turbulent and caused tip-in stumbles and issues under light load.

Take an LT1/LS1 MAF and remove the honeycomb and you can get similar issues - but not as severe unless you're running boost - then it can get wonky (which is the benefit of running straight speed density).

Every sensor has a calibrated range that works well on and a range outside of it where it still responds but with a greater error - which is why we have narrowband and wideband o2 sensors, for example, and making any change to the sensor or air path (even with all the air going through the MAF) will tweak it past its caliration. Like said, most of the time these changes are extremely minor and don't cause an issue - but no blanket statement can be made.

As some people have had issues with the LTG already in regards to intakes, I'm still waiting till we get more documentation for me to make a decision. Quite frankly, I'm amazed that even K&N is stepping back from CAIs these days and that should tell people there is a grain of truth to the possibility that on modern DI cars, a CAI can give some odd behavior.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.