Brief oil smoke on startup with 2.0T. Anyone else?
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By 73JPS
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Brief oil smoke on startup with 2.0T. Anyone else? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Since I have remote start, I typically get out of my house and while walking to the car I activate ...
    Yplus is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS4 Turbo

Brief oil smoke on startup with 2.0T. Anyone else?

Since I have remote start, I typically get out of my house and while walking to the car I activate remote start and then unlock the door, get in and drive away (I like the engine noise, what can I say?). I notice a little puff of what seems to be blue smoke (not moisture) that lasts about 1-2 seconds and then goes away. I know I would never have noticed this if I started the car while inside since it's light enough to disappear about 3-4 inches away from the tailpipe. The car has 6k miles and already had the oil changed once (during the CUE update). Otherwise, no funny smell, no performance issues I can see, etc. Any one else notice this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Bertha D Blues is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Brief oil smoke on startup with 2.0T. Anyone else?

Not on mine

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Yplus View Post
    Since I have remote start, I typically get out of my house and while walking to the car I activate remote start and then unlock the door, get in and drive away (I like the engine noise, what can I say?). I notice a little puff of what seems to be blue smoke (not moisture) that lasts about 1-2 seconds and then goes away. I know I would never have noticed this if I started the car while inside since it's light enough to disappear about 3-4 inches away from the tailpipe. The car has 6k miles and already had the oil changed once (during the CUE update). Otherwise, no funny smell, no performance issues I can see, etc. Any one else notice this?
    Hello Yplus,

I see that you are reaching out to the community to see if anyone else is experiencing the concern. If you are still concerned, I would suggest taking it to the dealership to have them look at it. If you would like any assistance with working with the dealership, I would be more than happy to assist you. Send us a private message if that is the route you choose to pursue. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

unclemoose is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD Performance - Radiant Silver Metallic
    I think it's a bit of soot/particulates. Look in your tail pipes, they will be black with soot/black particulates. I've had two GM 2.0L SIDI Turbos and this is normal in my experience.

73JPS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Performance 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by unclemoose View Post
    I think it's a bit of soot/particulates. Look in your tail pipes, they will be black with soot/black particulates. I've had two GM 2.0L SIDI Turbos and this is normal in my experience.
    Yes, I find the tailpipes unusually sooty, and any 2.0Ts I have seen seem to be like that. I say "unusually" in comparison to other cars I have owned.
    M5eater and M5eater like this.

Yplus is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS4 Turbo

I think you guys are on the right track. Yes my tailpipe is pretty sooty as well. I actually stared at my tail pipes while activating remote start and it did look like it was actually a little puff of soot, almost like a diesel engine, but it goes away pretty quickly, less than a second.

Thanks for the help and comments!

miguelius is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Silver ATS Performance 2.0T manual

Cool Re: Brief oil smoke on startup with 2.0T. Anyone else?

I have noticed soot on my tailpipes and think it is normal, though i have not seen smoke. Every week or so I clean the soot off with a wet wipe or moist rag. I noticed similar sooty deposits on a 2013 Ford Escape with the 2.0 Ecoboost that I rented last summer. I am beginning to think this is a normal feature of a direct injection turbos. I don't think it's a problem.

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

Not sure where you live or where you park your vehicle--I have not seen any smoke from your car.

Lorne is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 Turbo Performance Manual
    Quote Originally Posted by miguelius
    I have noticed soot on my tailpipes and think it is normal, though i have not seen smoke. Every week or so I clean the soot off with a wet wipe or moist rag. I noticed similar sooty deposits on a 2013 Ford Escape with the 2.0 Ecoboost that I rented last summer. I am beginning to think this is a normal feature of a direct injection turbos. I don't think it's a problem.
    I've got sooty tailpipes too, but they wipe up easily to a shine

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by 73JPS View Post
    Yes, I find the tailpipes unusually sooty, and any 2.0Ts I have seen seem to be like that. I say "unusually" in comparison to other cars I have owned.
    It's normal with a lot of F/I turbo cars.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.