Without Bluetooth and On Star, what's lost in functionality?
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Without Bluetooth and On Star, what's lost in functionality? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; At this point I am not planning on keeping On-Star or Bluetooth (never had them before), but may change my ...
    flycaster is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

Without Bluetooth and On Star, what's lost in functionality?

At this point I am not planning on keeping On-Star or Bluetooth (never had them before), but may change my mind when push comes to shove. So before I have to make these decisions, I'd appreciate knowing just what I will not be able to do without them. I'm most interested in how this would effect my Navigation's functioning. Without Bluetooth, I know I'll loose hands free phone, anything else? And without On-Star, I'm just no sure what I'll be loosing. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JChen is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS AWD Performance, 2010 SRX AWD Luxury

Re: Without Bluetooth and On Star, what's lost in functionality?

What would cause you to lose Bluetooth functionally?

It's not a subscription service.

Quote Originally Posted by JChen View Post
    What would cause you to lose Bluetooth functionally?

It's not a subscription service.
    Shows how much I know. I thought that it was a subscription service. OK, so I get to keep hands-free phoning - great. So, what about On-Star?

I personally never needed On-Star since my commute is so short and fortunately, haven't been in an accident. Nor do I use their phone options.

Depends on if you want the added security of having them available to you.

donavo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL

I actually thought I would never need on star but the other day it actually came in handy. I was having a big family BBQ at a park and there was absolutely no cell phone service there. But my on star phone worked fine. So my friends who needed to call home or anything used it without problems. And when I needed to call certain members to let them know details, it was possible. Other than that, I needed directions somewhere, and my navigation wouldn't recognize what location I wanted to go to. So I called on star instead and had them download directions to my car since they understood what I wanted lol. Took them 1 minute tops.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Yes, if you have the full OnStar, you can just call for a place and have them zap your nav. No need to stop...

OnStar Advisor is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by flycaster View Post
    Shows how much I know. I thought that it was a subscription service. OK, so I get to keep hands-free phoning - great. So, what about On-Star?
    flycaster,

I'd be happy to answer any OnStar specific questions you may have. Here's some useful information about the Onstar services:

http://bit.ly/Ybi1g9
    http://bit.ly/10ABqWo

Let me know if you have any specific questions, or you can PM me the details. I hope this helps!

-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
    Social Media Team

Thanks for the info, Advisor. After reading the two links, I don't think I'll be needing OnStar. However, the links did say that OnStar provided hands-free phoning (which we do like). I thought that using Blue Tooth also provided hands-free phoning; and that one didn't need a subscription for Blue Tooth??? So, what's the story here?

OnStar provides hands free calling without using your mobile phone (your car has its own phone number). Our ATSs are also capable of using your mobile phone's Bluetooth connection to make hands free calls.

Quote Originally Posted by flycaster View Post
    Thanks for the info, Advisor. After reading the two links, I don't think I'll be needing OnStar. However, the links did say that OnStar provided hands-free phoning (which we do like). I thought that using Blue Tooth also provided hands-free phoning; and that one didn't need a subscription for Blue Tooth??? So, what's the story here?
    flycaster,

JChen is correct. The OnStar Hand-Free-Calling is through the vehicles assigned phone number and can be used with OnStar Pre-Paid Minutes. This feature provides better connectivity in areas of limited cellular reception. Specially designed to give you better reception than a cell phone.

-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
    Social Media Team

Hoosier Daddy is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by OnStar Advisor View Post
    This feature provides better connectivity in areas of limited cellular reception. Specially designed to give you better reception than a cell phone.
    Where can someone read about how that is accomplished? If On* is using existing cell networks, is it just a matter of the car having a better antenna than a cell phone has?

Hoosier Daddy,

Yes, the antenna on the roof of the car boosts the signal. It's signal is 5 times stronger then that of a cell phone, so it can get a stronger cellular connection where a cell phone may not be able to.

-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
    Social Media Team

mikesul is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T manual Thunder Gray

If you keep Onstar Direction & Connections you never need nav. Just push the Onstar button and tell them where you want to go. Directions are then downloaded to your Cue and you just follow the spoken directions. It's like nav, but no nav screen. You can ask for gas stations, restaurants, etc. anything nav can do Onstar can do.

PAO56 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '12 SRX Performance (Red), '13 2.5 Base ATS (Opulent Blue)

but in order to use the Onstar hands free capability you must have an active Onstar Account by accepting one of their plans..the safe and sound plan for accident notification being the less expensive of the two....the car's assigned number will not work w/o an active Onstar account is my understanding

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by mikesul View Post
    If you keep Onstar Direction & Connections you never need nav. Just push the Onstar button and tell them where you want to go. Directions are then downloaded to your Cue and you just follow the spoken directions. It's like nav, but no nav screen. You can ask for gas stations, restaurants, etc. anything nav can do Onstar can do.
    I guess that's true if you don't have NAV on your CUE system. If you do have NAV , they download the directions to your NAV screen on CUE, and it operates just as though you entered them yourself; with both visual and audio directions....NAV is fully operational. Quite frankly, IMO I don't need the Onstar option in that I can enter directions through the CUE voice command and program with the car on the move, unlike earlier Caddy NAV systems. That's what's so great about CUE with NAV.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.