TRIFECTA TUNE review
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, TRIFECTA TUNE review in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; i recieved my tune and cable and im pretty much ready to tune. so when i do, i will write ...
    donavo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL

TRIFECTA TUNE review

i recieved my tune and cable and im pretty much ready to tune. so when i do, i will write a review in this thread. but in the meantime, id like to ask some questions and get some answers. first off, if you already installed your tune, please post any first impressions, tips, problems, issues uve run into on here.

how closely do you think this tune needs to be monitored to avoid damage? it looks like the power increase is in a pretty safe range. and what exactly is knock retard? is it the system taking action to avoid knock?

how much difference in sound, feel, acceleration do you feel with the tune? can you do a 0-60 comparison of stock vs tune?

basically if possible write your own extended review of the tune. either here or on your own thread. it would be helpful for people who are concidering the tune and it would definitely be helpful to me before i tune so i know what im gonna get.

also if BNR could answer this, did everyone just get a generic tune for 91 octane? thats the best fuel i can get where i live.
    Siren05 and Siren05 like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BLitzkrieg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Re: TRIFECTA TUNE review

I installed the Trifecta tune on my 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T RWD AT. I have a cold air intake that I built and am prototyping. There were noticeable gains with this intake on the stock vehicle. The weather here is about 86*F and humid.
    After installing the tune I have to admit that it wasn’t really noticeable at first. As I kept driving and the temps got cooler, it became more noticeable. Below are the results I put together from my datalogs using the Rev App on my iPhone. I used this app because I wanted accelerometer info along with OBDII PIDs. I have the tune setup so that the stock tune resides in the "Touring" setting and the Trifecta tune resides in the "Sport" setting. I used this setting to designate which tune is which in the datalogs below. The datalogs are a 3rd gear pull from 2500 RPMs. Traction control was turned off for these pulls and both runs were done on the same stretch of road. As for the graphs, pay no attention to the horizontal numbers. They only refer to the numerical datalog polling rate, meaning information was recorded 73 times throughout the datalog. The vertical numbers are the ones to pay attention to.

Oh I know the very next question is going to be about the CAI picture so here is a pic of a proof of concept CAI. The final unit will be 6 layer silicone with CNC aluminum MAF housing and velocity stack.

YoshiFD3S is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T Manual, '11 Sonata 2.0T, '94 Mazda RX-7 w/ 2JZ

Cool stuff!

Those graphs look great, but the numbers are a bit hard to understand.

What are you doing about that one stainless braided line that comes off the motor and is just chillin' there, now?

I'm hoping my shop will take my ATS in soon and fabricate some goodies like an intake, FMIC w/ BOV, and exhaust.

If they do, I'm gonna see if they'll sign up as vendors on the site so they can offer the parts to everybody.

Really cool stuff, though! I look forward to more reviews and dyno's from other owners!

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiFD3S View Post
    Cool stuff!

Those graphs look great, but the numbers are a bit hard to understand.

What are you doing about that one stainless braided line that comes off the motor and is just chillin' there, now?

I'm hoping my shop will take my ATS in soon and fabricate some goodies like an intake, FMIC w/ BOV, and exhaust.

If they do, I'm gonna see if they'll sign up as vendors on the site so they can offer the parts to everybody.

Really cool stuff, though! I look forward to more reviews and dyno's from other owners!

I was still building the intake when I took this picture. The PCV was tied into the intake. As for the graphs, pay no attention to the horizontal numbers. They only refer to the numerical datalog polling rate, meaning information was recorded 73 times throughout the datalog. The vertical numbers are the ones to pay attention to.

gfxbt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T MT

Blitzkrieg - I really appreciate you taking the time to do this. The data looks great. A couple sets of questions:

1) You say you are using the Rev App - It looks pretty cool. Does it seem to be accurate to you? Are you communicating with the car via a Bluetooth dongle? Overall, how happy are you with it?

2) Based on your graphs, your car accelerated harder with the tune (~.35g v. .3g), maintained higher boost pressure through the rev range (~consistent 22 v. peak 21 and not sustained), and horsepower was greater. BUT, vehicle speed was slower with the tune. Now I understand each of these was done separately (i.e., there were two runs), I just don't understand why the car was slower. I assume that the x-axis essentially denotes time (e.g., it takes a measurement every .2 seconds) and that timing is consistent (i.e., same interval between both runs). Maybe you just weren't getting on it as hard for the tuned run?

Quote Originally Posted by gfxbt View Post
    Blitzkrieg - I really appreciate you taking the time to do this. The data looks great. A couple sets of questions:

1) You say you are using the Rev App - It looks pretty cool. Does it seem to be accurate to you? Are you communicating with the car via a Bluetooth dongle? Overall, how happy are you with it?

2) Based on your graphs, your car accelerated harder with the tune (~.35g v. .3g), maintained higher boost pressure through the rev range (~consistent 22 v. peak 21 and not sustained), and horsepower was greater. BUT, vehicle speed was slower with the tune. Now I understand each of these was done separately (i.e., there were two runs), I just don't understand why the car was slower. I assume that the x-axis essentially denotes time (e.g., it takes a measurement every .2 seconds) and that timing is consistent (i.e., same interval between both runs). Maybe you just weren't getting on it as hard for the tuned run?
    There was a total of 2 runs which were datalogged. All of these data points were logged at the same time for each run. I have an iPhone so I use the Kiwi WiFi and not the BT. The info I get is pretty good but there are issues if you are attempting to gather consistent data. One such issue is consistent polling rates. I'd prefer to have a poll every 1/10 of a second but it is hit or miss. I emailed the info from the app to myself in a .CSV format. From there I had to match up the information based on RPM and/or timestamp in Excel, so there is some work involved to put this info together. It is not perfect and not preferable. I would rather have a dedicated OBDII appliance with a built in accelerometer and GPS that has quicker and dedicated processing (something I may be investing in soon). I even updated my HPTuners in the hope that I can get the VCM Scanner to work, but I had no luck.

UPDATE on the tune: I am not too happy with the transmission tune. It feels as though it double shifts (disengages pause engages) and the shift points are too high in the RPM. I remember when I tuned my CTS-V that I had to lower the shift points in order to avoid this similar issue. I may reflash the stock TCM tune back in the car.

gfxbt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T MT

Quote Originally Posted by BLitzkrieg View Post
    I would rather have a dedicated OBDII appliance with a built in accelerometer and GPS that has quicker and dedicated processing (something I may be investing in soon). I
    Thanks, that is great information. What I am gathering is that in your opinion, you would prefer to go with something like the Aeroforce gauge that Frank (I think) brought up in another thread? I would like to be able to view this data, and have it stored for later. I guess my question is, is it worth buying the app ($40) and a OBDII dongle ($30), or should I buy the gauge ($120)? It is important to me that I can review the data later, make charts, etc. (I know, it's kind of nerdy, but data is fun). Alternatively, if you have something else in mind that you think is better, I'm all ears. Thanks for the input, it is greatly appreciated.

romanats is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ats

i have not loaded my tune yet but that is not a good news about the TCM

sonny@bnr is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I installed the Trifecta tune on my 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T RWD AT. I have a cold air intake that I built and am prototyping. There were noticeable gains with this intake on the stock vehicle. The weather here is about 86*F and humid.
    After installing the tune I have to admit that it wasn’t really noticeable at first. As I kept driving and the temps got cooler, it became more noticeable. Below are the results I put together from my datalogs using the Rev App on my iPhone. I used this app because I wanted accelerometer info along with OBDII PIDs. I have the tune setup so that the stock tune resides in the "Touring" setting and the Trifecta tune resides in the "Sport" setting. I used this setting to designate which tune is which in the datalogs below. The datalogs are a 3rd gear pull from 2500 RPMs. Traction control was turned off for these pulls and both runs were done on the same stretch of road. As for the graphs, pay no attention to the horizontal numbers. They only refer to the numerical datalog polling rate, meaning information was recorded 73 times throughout the datalog. The vertical numbers are the ones to pay attention to.

Oh I know the very next question is going to be about the CAI picture so here is a pic of a proof of concept CAI. The final unit will be 6 layer silicone with CNC aluminum MAF housing and velocity stack.

after you installed the tune did you send any data logs to vince to get updates,
    did you inform him there was a intake on the car. your maff readings are going to be off so you need to send data logs so we can re-adjust the tune so it works properly

BNRacing is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE
    If you have an issue with the TCM tune you just need to let us know and we can adjust it.

Siren05 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T RWD. 2011 STI Hatchback.

There was a total of 2 runs which were datalogged. All of these data points were logged at the same time for each run. I have an iPhone so I use the Kiwi WiFi and not the BT. The info I get is pretty good but there are issues if you are attempting to gather consistent data. One such issue is consistent polling rates. I'd prefer to have a poll every 1/10 of a second but it is hit or miss. I emailed the info from the app to myself in a .CSV format. From there I had to match up the information based on RPM and/or timestamp in Excel, so there is some work involved to put this info together. It is not perfect and not preferable. I would rather have a dedicated OBDII appliance with a built in accelerometer and GPS that has quicker and dedicated processing (something I may be investing in soon). I even updated my HPTuners in the hope that I can get the VCM Scanner to work, but I had no luck.

UPDATE on the tune: I am not too happy with the transmission tune. It feels as though it double shifts (disengages pause engages) and the shift points are too high in the RPM. I remember when I tuned my CTS-V that I had to lower the shift points in order to avoid this similar issue. I may reflash the stock TCM tune back in the car.
    Easy fix...

frankc5r is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2.0 ATS Premium

Just did a few more runs in ATS after sending log file to BNR for review.

Boost really rises fast now and scan gauge shows me delivered torque and fuel rail pressure on this run. I had tested with the stock tune and seen 260.8
    ft# of torque, right on the stock GM spec. Older LNF 2.0 run on about 2000-2200 fuel pressure and I saw 3000 on this engine, again right on spec.
    3rd gear run starting at about 2500 rpm saw rapid boost rise to 22 psi and 335 ft # of torque delivered, a little better than the 70 ft# increase that is
    advertised. It really does pull like a rocket. Not limited to 91 here in Mi so that helps that the ecm is not retarding spark cause of knock. All I see is a
    little of tipin knock just as u are entering WOT. None during the WOT.

I do not see any hesitation in trans as reported on this site but I will keep an eye out for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BNRacing View Post
    If you have an issue with the TCM tune you just need to let us know and we can adjust it.
    Unfortunately its pouring out now. I will run your datalog when the weather clears up. Thanks. FYI my name is Anthony Gennello.

frankc5r is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2.0 ATS Premium

be investing in soon). I even updated my HPTuners in the hope that I can get the VCM Scanner to work, but I had no luck.

I UPDATED MY HPT to 2.24 too but had no luck scanning too even if I bypassed box. Someone on HPT forum with ATS reported he got it to work but not me]

Hoosier Daddy is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

FYI my name is Anthony Gennello.
    Reminder for Cadillac Customer Service:

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.