TPMS Relearning After Tire Rotation
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, TPMS Relearning After Tire Rotation in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I rotated my tires this weekend at 5,000 miles. After rotating them, I pulled out the trusty owner's manual to ...
    gfxbt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T MT

TPMS Relearning After Tire Rotation

I rotated my tires this weekend at 5,000 miles. After rotating them, I pulled out the trusty owner's manual to relearn the tire pressure monitors. When you get to step 7 (or so), the owner's manual instructs you to use the tire pressure monitor relearn tool. What? I think this means I am going to have to take it to the dealer to have the tire pressure monitors "relearned" so that they know the position in which they reside on the car. Kind of disappointed here. Would have liked to have been able to just take care of all of this myself instead of needing to go to the dealer after rotating my tires. Anyone out there know of another way to do this? Seems like it would be simple enough to have an option to select every time you rotate your tires where it just shuffles the values on the display based on the owner's manual guide for rotating tires. There are only two options (1 for same size tires and 1 for different size tired front to rear).

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

roadpie4u is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 M6 FE3

Re: TPMS Relearning After Tire Rotation

Cadillac covers tire rotations for free every 5000 mi, why not use it? On my car (offset front and rear sizes) instead of rotating them, I have them swap between my OEM wheels and my winter wheels.

There's a tool you can buy to reset the TPMS, its like $70-$100 if you really want to be able to do it yourself.

romanats is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ats

Just swapped my wheels for 18' and dealer said they will do it for free just drop by will do it on friday.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    On the Vs, you don't need a tool. Just be a tool. And know the procedure...

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

JCip is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

I wish I knew how these things work on my new ATS. I saw the message after lowering the tire pressure. It went off. So do I assume that the car automatically learns the tires TPMS? No one seems to know. The manual stinks when it comes to explaining things.

Yes, I know it is covered (oil changes as well) but I prefer to do it myself. It's not like an early Camaro where you can get under the hood and play with it, so I find doing some work on the car (even if extremely minimal) to be enjoyable. As for the tool, I saw that you can buy one, but that kind of stinks too for $100. Was just wondering if anyone knew of a way to do it without the tool (or letting out air pressure - typically cars will have a "learn mode" where you let air out of each tire in a specific sequence and the TPMS system recognizes the pressure decreasing in each tire in sequence and "relearns" itself - problem is I have to go to a friends house for an air compressor, and I have my tires exactly where I want them front and rear so I would prefer not to mess with that either).

73JPS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Performance 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by gfxbt View Post
    Yes, I know it is covered (oil changes as well) but I prefer to do it myself. It's not like an early Camaro where you can get under the hood and play with it, so I find doing some work on the car (even if extremely minimal) to be enjoyable. As for the tool, I saw that you can buy one, but that kind of stinks too for $100. Was just wondering if anyone knew of a way to do it without the tool (or letting out air pressure - typically cars will have a "learn mode" where you let air out of each tire in a specific sequence and the TPMS system recognizes the pressure decreasing in each tire in sequence and "relearns" itself - problem is I have to go to a friends house for an air compressor, and I have my tires exactly where I want them front and rear so I would prefer not to mess with that either).
    Believe me when I say I am not trying to create an argument or be disrespectful, but if you truly enjoy doing some of these small things yourself (and I can certainly identify with the satisfaction this can generate), then spring for the tool... and while you're at it, buy an air compressor for heaven's sake. These jobs are much more enjoyable to perform when you have the proper equipment.

M5eater is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

I would find it suspect that they would 'require' the tool.
    I'm sure there's a manual procedure that's simply not mentioned like in every other TPMS car I've owned.

Otherwise you're saying to perform basic mantiance that every small car-shop needs to spring for this tool.

Quote Originally Posted by 73JPS View Post
    Believe me when I say I am not trying to create an argument or be disrespectful, but if you truly enjoy doing some of these small things yourself (and I can certainly identify with the satisfaction this can generate), then spring for the tool... and while you're at it, buy an air compressor for heaven's sake. These jobs are much more enjoyable to perform when you have the proper equipment.
    Haha I totally agree. Unfortunately, I am in a position where I am moving every year or so (hopefully not for much longer) so I have no assurance that I will have a garage every year to store stuff (I've had places in the city where it is hard enough to find places to simply store my toolboxes). I'm waiting for the day to be settled somewhere long enough to actually get all of the stuff I want to perform these small projects. Until then, it is relying on friends and family . . .

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    I would find it suspect that they would 'require' the tool.
    I'm sure there's a manual procedure that's simply not mentioned like in every other TPMS car I've owned.

Otherwise you're saying to perform basic mantiance that every small car-shop needs to spring for this tool.
    I agree - That's why I was hoping someone knew of another way. Doesn't look promising, as I know the knew Malibu also requires the tool. I'll report back if I figure anything out after taking the car to the dealer.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    This is how we always reprogrammed the TPS on the Vs...

http://cadillacfaq.com/faq/index.html

On this site, click on Wheels and Tires, page 2.

Then click on How to Reprogram Tirepressure Sensors.

Not saying this will work, but its how I've always done it without any sort of tool...

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    This is how we always reprogrammed the TPS on the Vs...

http://cadillacfaq.com/faq/index.html

On this site, click on Wheels and Tires, page 2.

Then click on How to Reprogram Tirepressure Sensors.

Not saying this will work, but its how I've always done it without any sort of tool...
    Thanks for the input - I figured it could be done by letting air out of the tires. I guess the short answer to my question (for anyone following) is that you either buy the tool, take it to the dealer to use the tool, or use relearn mode and let air out of each tire until it registers. Not preferable, but, it's not the end of the world. Thanks again to all of you that have provided input.

73JPS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Performance 6MT

Okay, so the end result is that letting air out of the tires DOES work, hence no tool required (regardless of the pain-in-the-ass factor)?

Quote Originally Posted by 73JPS View Post
    Okay, so the end result is that letting air out of the tires DOES work, hence no tool required (regardless of the pain-in-the-ass factor)?
    Have not tested it. I know it works on several GM cars, so I'm guessing it will work on the ATS.

romanats is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ats

it does not work. Took my car in this morning to have them reset TPMS. it took them 5 min.

Y2tony3 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

You NEED the tool. You can't go through the menu nor do the sensors automatically reset when the pressure is good (unless you already used to tool to reset the tpms). I changed my tires out and I called every single dealer around my area and local tire shops, no way no how If you don't have the tool. But once your at the dealer it literally took 2 minutes and they did it for me.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.