Break In Period
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 3 Post By miguelius
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Break In Period in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; First of all great forum. I've learned a lot about my ATS since picking it up April 29. I had ...
    RemaxAl is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD

Cool Break In Period

First of all great forum. I've learned a lot about my ATS since picking it up April 29. I had the rear main seal replaced and had a few small issues. However, I love this car! First time in years I've just went for cruise in the evening. This machine is exciting to drive. I have the 2.0 T AWD Luxury with Nav and Sunroof. I have yet to really hammer on it and push it. I'm new to small performance motors with turbos etc. I have just over 2000 KM/1200M on it. How long before you would give it a proper work out? I'm also running 94 octane gas, overkill?

AL

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Pete7874 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '02 BMW 530i; '08 MB C300 4Matic

Re: Break In Period

At 1200 miles, I'd say you're already past most of the break-in.

Even during break-in, I wouldn't necessarily baby the engine. The key is to avoid lugging or driving at constant RPM for extended periods (hence: no use of cruise control).

bluhaven is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 luxury ATS 2.0 Turbo 6sp auto

Drive it like you stole it, enjoy the car.

Kevin

romanats is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ats

drive it like you stole it LOL you might get pulled over for that

miguelius is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Silver ATS Performance 2.0T manual

Red face Re: Break In Period

The owner's manual recommends not driving above 4,000 RPM for the first 1,500 miles. I have been trying to observe that limit, but once in a while I have exceeded it by a few hundred RPM. Although my car feels pretty well broken in at 800 miles, I figure that Cadilac should know what they're talking about. Feels kind of like waiting until marriage before having sex.
    ben.gators, RemaxAl and RemaxAl like this.

RemaxAl is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD

Thanks for the advice. Took the ATS for a good run yesterday. Very impressed I don't believe we will win any races but I love the even smooth power and I don't think I've owned a vehicle with better handling. Came off the highway and 140k was able to stop at the lights. Took it along a winding road and ATS just grips the road. This car is going to be fun, a real sleeper.

AL

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.