Paddle Shift Retrofit Questions
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Paddle Shift Retrofit Questions in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Folks, I have installed a paddle shift steering wheel to my ATS Luxury (did not come with it). This is ...
    h3rmes is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Paddle Shift Retrofit Questions

Folks,

I have installed a paddle shift steering wheel to my ATS Luxury (did not come with it). This is very easy to do, just remove the negative clamp on the battery in the trunk, wait 15 minutes, poke a 3-4 mm allen wrench into the holes on the back of either side to take off the air bag, unplug the connectors. The ATS uses a Torx bolt to hold the steering wheel in place. There is no way to install it wrong as there are slots for the wheel to go in. Less than a hours worth of work.

Does anyone know if the transmission requires reprogramming to recognize the paddle shifters or is there a replacement automatic shift knob that recognizes paddle shifters that is required?

On some of the BMW forums on this type of mod, there appears to be a wire loom that needs to be made and some mods to the wires on the automatic transmission.

Anyone that has access to wiring schematics for the ATS, I would be very grateful.

Thanks,
    h3rmes

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Paddle Shift Retrofit Questions

Quote Originally Posted by h3rmes View Post
    Folks,

I have installed a paddle shift steering wheel to my ATS Luxury (did not come with it). This is very easy to do, just remove the negative clamp on the battery in the trunk, wait 15 minutes, poke a 3-4 mm allen wrench into the holes on the back of either side to take off the air bag, unplug the connectors. The ATS uses a Torx bolt to hold the steering wheel in place. There is no way to install it wrong as there are slots for the wheel to go in. Less than a hours worth of work.

Does anyone know if the transmission requires reprogramming to recognize the paddle shifters or is there a replacement automatic shift knob that recognizes paddle shifters that is required?

On some of the BMW forums on this type of mod, there appears to be a wire loom that needs to be made and some mods to the wires on the automatic transmission.

Anyone that has access to wiring schematics for the ATS, I would be very grateful.

Thanks,
    h3rmes
    Bump! Is there a wiring harness that I am missing? Anyone have a parts catalog yet?

turbo2.0 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T

GM tends to go out of their way to try and stop people from retrofitting pieces to their vehicle that were not factory on their model. Before you start trying to throw every part on your vehicle that some random strangers on a forum tell you to try, I would suggest trying to find some information about how the system works. If the harness is different and/or it goes through a different module that would require a dealer to program it you may stop while you only have a little invested in it.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo2.0 View Post
    GM tends to go out of their way to try and stop people from retrofitting pieces to their vehicle that were not factory on their model. Before you start trying to throw every part on your vehicle that some random strangers on a forum tell you to try, I would suggest trying to find some information about how the system works. If the harness is different and/or it goes through a different module that would require a dealer to program it you may stop while you only have a little invested in it.
    Yeah. This is true. To replace a burnt out head light bulb in an ATS you have to remove the front bumper. That seems a bit of an overkill to prevent customers from upgrading their headlights.

I will check in with my local cadillac parts counter and see if this a programing or hardwire issue.

flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

You know, even though the ATS just about copied everything from BMW, the one major thing that they didn't copy when designing the ATS as a 3-series competitor was to allow for the for easy modding. For example, having to take the bumper off to change headlights is ridiculous.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Oh, get over it. It's been like that on every Caddy for years...

Get a Caddy with Xenons and you don't need to worry, anyway...
    rustybear3 and rustybear3 like this.

romanats is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ats

you dont need to remove the bumper to replace headlight bulb you can just go from wheel well and take it out its tight but can be done .

flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Oh, get over it. It's been like that on every Caddy for years...
    Never had a Caddy before... It wasn't that I wanted to swap out the headlights; just using this as an example.

Yplus is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS4 Turbo

Where did you get the steering wheel from and how much was it? I've been debating a mod to add paddle shifters for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Yplus View Post
    Where did you get the steering wheel from and how much was it? I've been debating a mod to add paddle shifters for a while.
    I bought it off ebay. Schram auto parts. They dismantle salvaged cars. The wheel I bought was off of an ATS with 4 miles on the odo.

Yplus is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS4 Turbo

Any update?

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

Good luck on your warranty if anything goes wrong....also, IMHO , modified cars seldom hold their value on trade in time; especially leases.

ATS Mike is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.5L Black Raven

Update? I would like to do the same to my vehicle!

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

I'm interested too I'm about to pull the trigger on the suede wheel and this would be a bonus

oachalon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Peformance 3.6 AWD

If GM builds our ATS's anything like they built the Gen 5 Camaros then pretty much everything can be retrofitted. I have a 2010 Camaro SS as well and you can pretty much retrofit any part your car didn't come with onto it. It just usually requires a few harnesses.

My guess is there is an extra plug and play harness you need to get for the paddle shifters, but the rest of the harness probably exists in the car.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.