ATS coilovers available?
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, ATS coilovers available? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I found one coilovers from D3 Tuning but they are $3500 dollars. Im a college student and I can't afford ...
    kmb32687 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD Manual

ATS coilovers available?

I found one coilovers from D3 Tuning but they are $3500 dollars.

Im a college student and I can't afford $3500 coilovers. Is there any other coilovers out there for less than $1600?

Or do I have to wait little longer? :-(

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    What would Ace Ventura say?

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Re: ATS coilovers available?

Unfortunatly, as you have found out, new model cars lack an aftermarket, and it likely will be this way for some time to come.

My suggestion, cut your springs and put away $6-800 every 2-3 years for new struts.

or call up a few of the name-brand suppliers and see if they have something in the works or that might work for you with slight modification , or with strut/spring rates that are 'pretty close'

KW comes to mind for cheap Coilovers.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    What would Ace Ventura say?
    It's ALIVE. IT'S ALIVE.

hood101010 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6 Performance

My last 2 cars were first model year as well and at least springs were available within 6-8 months of the cars release. This car went on sale in Oct. This is month 8....

If I'm not back in 5 minutes, just wait longer!

Quote Originally Posted by hood101010 View Post
    My last 2 cars were first model year as well and at least springs were available within 6-8 months of the cars release. This car went on sale in Oct. This is month 8....
    Which car's would those be?

I can guarentee you they were not in the same posistion the ATS has been in. No car(or brand) has been in several decades.

You're fighting both the first entry into the compact segment for this brand *and* a brand that even with the CTS/CTSV was producing luxury tourers rather than boy-racer drivers cars.

All other respective brands have had in the past, an advantage in either having a built-in community prescence to get products to market faster, or were based on a previous model thus making retrofits easy.

The ATS is not just a 'new' car by model year. It's new in every respect. It's a new platform for a new brand image in a new world of modifying cadillacs outside the LS-equipped models, for a new kind of 20-30 something customer that might acutally be interested in dropping the car.

There isn't even a lot of suppliers of these for the V2, and that's been out for 5 years and is known as the defacto tuner's super-sedan.

A comparison to any other model is inappropriate. Anyone looking to hop into the ATS and belive it'll be flush with a dozen different people making items for it are going to be mistaken unfortunatly.

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    Which car's would those be?

I can guarentee you they were not in the same posistion the ATS has been in. No car(or brand) has been in several decades.

You're fighting both the first entry into the compact segment for this brand *and* a brand that even with the CTS/CTSV was producing luxury tourers rather than boy-racer drivers cars.

All other respective brands have had in the past, an advantage in either having a built-in community prescence to get products to market faster, or were based on a previous model thus making retrofits easy.

The ATS is not just a 'new' car by model year. It's new in every respect. It's a new compact car for a new brand image in a new world of modifying cadillacs outside the LS-equipped models, for a new kind of 20-30 something customer that might acutally be interested in dropping the car.

A comparison to any other model is inappropriate.
    2006 LEXUS IS350

2008 LEXUS IS-F

This IS line was an entirely new vehicle from the IS300. Lexus' development of that car was VERY similar to that of the ATS. Lexus had no prior sport or peformance vehicle and ZERO community.

I feel that if I manufacture suspension options and their is a new vehicle who's customer fits squarely into my demographic then I put the investment in to be first to market. The ATS is squarely in their market, will move significant units, and will have a community. The CTS has a community, the BMW fanboys definitely have a community, that is where buyers are and will be coming from. I also know that as the market expands new customers will first look at what others (early adopters) have put on their vehicles and what is the feedback. If Im Eibach or H&R I want to be first to market put out a first rate product and be the go to for suspension upgrades for the ATS. I dont feel that there is a risk making components for this car, there is current and will be significantly growing demand. If I am building a spring for a car new or existing and I have 40+ years of experience doing so I should be able to put a product to market within the first 12 months or sooner. This is a Cadillac ATS not a Veyron. Obviously frustrated and sarcastic....

2006 LEXUS IS350

2008 LEXUS IS-F

This IS line was an entirely new vehicle from the IS300. Lexus' development of that car was VERY similar to that of the ATS. Lexus had no prior sport or peformance vehicle and ZERO community.
    The IS is a good product to bring up, but ultimately I think that while a very good point to argue, that it's still not a entirely 1for1 comparison.

Acura and infinity for example, had by that time established themselves as very sporty models, and it was around that time infinity had it's mind on de-throning the 3 series.

I would submit by extension of being in the japanese luxury market they had conquest influence from toyota, acura and infinity tuners.

Cadillac by comparison , has had to create whole new products for a whole new market, the American luxury sports sedan.

Maybe that's a streach, but it is something to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by hood101010 View Post

2006 LEXUS IS350

2008 LEXUS IS-F

I feel that if I manufacture suspension options and their is a new vehicle who's customer fits squarely into my demographic then I put the investment in to be first to market. The ATS is squarely in their market, will move significant units, and will have a community. The CTS has a community, the BMW fanboys definitely have a community, that is where buyers are and will be coming from. I also know that as the market expands new customers will first look at what others (early adopters) have put on their vehicles and what is the feedback. If Im Eibach or H&R I want to be first to market put out a first rate product and be the go to for suspension upgrades for the ATS. I dont feel that there is a risk making components for this car, there is current and will be significantly growing demand. If I am building a spring for a car new or existing and I have 40+ years of experience doing so I should be able to put a product to market within the first 12 months or sooner. This is a Cadillac ATS not a Veyron. Obviously frustrated and sarcastic....
    So from gen I to gen II there was a total chassis and suspension change?

The ATS is a brand new chassis with the Alpha and shares with no other car at this time. It is far different in concept than anything Cadillac, or GM has rolled out...ever.

Cadillac went from the double wishbone suspension that has underpinned their supersedans over the past decade, to a new, lighter strut setup for their newer sedans. On a RWD platform.

There have been precious few of these sedans sold over the past 8 months. There are few Cadillac specific vendors.

As for the early Vs, it took about 2-3 years to get coilovers for those Sigma cars. I don't know if the STS-V ever did. And it took awhile for the V2, even though it was an almost identical platform.

As long as the ATS is the only player with the Alpha platform, with precious few models out there(and that's eventually changing), 8 months is a pipe dream.

I don't know where your sarcasm is being directed to, but take it somewhere else. Your IS was not all new and had roots in Japan for nearly a decade before you bought yours.

You want coilovers? Get proactive and volunteer your ATS to a developer like Ground Control or KW...

Oh, so you *can* talk. Interesting.
    hood101010 and hood101010 like this.

Oh, so you *can* talk. Interesting.
    But I don't babble...

So from gen I to gen II there was a total chassis and suspension change?

The ATS is a brand new chassis with the Alpha and shares with no other car at this time. It is far different in concept than anything Cadillac, or GM has rolled out...ever.

Cadillac went from the double wishbone suspension that has underpinned their supersedans over the past decade, to a new, lighter strut setup for their newer sedans. On a RWD platform.

There have been precious few of these sedans sold over the past 8 months. There are few Cadillac specific vendors.

As for the early Vs, it took about 2-3 years to get coilovers for those Sigma cars. I don't know if the STS-V ever did. And it took awhile for the V2, even though it was an almost identical platform.

As long as the ATS is the only player with the Alpha platform, with precious few models out there(and that's eventually changing), 8 months is a pipe dream.

I don't know where your sarcasm is being directed to, but take it somewhere else. Your IS was not all new and had roots in Japan for nearly a decade before you bought yours.

You want coilovers? Get proactive and volunteer your ATS to a developer like Ground Control or KW...
    Dude RELAX.

Im new to GM and being a good American and doing my part I bought an American car. You are obviously some GM wiki master. I dont claim to know an Alpha platform from a lug nut. But what I do know is that I dont troll forums looking to pounce on people. My conversation was productive and was with M5. So be polite and back off. I was involvrd heavily with the Lexus forms and early aftermarket companies and loved their community. Your giving this early ATS community a black eye with directed comments like that. At least I acknowledged my frustration and sacrasm and directed it nowhere. Again relax and help a new ATS owner and proud owner of an American car get some answers without attitude.

I look for the best car, American or nay. And I suggest you grow thicker skin...

I look for the best car, American or nay. And I suggest you grow thicker skin...
    You did come off as a bit more abrasive than usual.

You did come off as a bit more abrasive than usual.
    You disappeared. You became unjaded. Besides, I was just emulating your mouthiness...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.