Trunk Opening on own
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Trunk Opening on own in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; In the last few weeks my trunk has opened on its own. The first two times I was at home ...
    crash30920 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS4 2.0T

Trunk Opening on own

In the last few weeks my trunk has opened on its own. The first two times I was at home and just thought that maybe I forgot to close the trunk but today it happened at work and one of my fellow workers let me know that my trunk was open. I went out and closed it but I was able to have the security camera film checked and it just popped open on its own in the parking lot, this was nearly 2 hours of me being at work and I keep my keys on my desk which is hundreds of feet into the building away from my car. Before I contacted Cadillac I was wondering if any one else had the same issue?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

breakaway87 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Luxury AT

Re: Trunk Opening on own

My trunk was curiously opened twice yesterday in the parking lot at work though I do a lot of moving around at work and sit on my keys so I thought maybe I just popped it myself.

frankc5r is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2.0 ATS Premium

I had it happen once that I could not explain.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by crash30920 View Post
    In the last few weeks my trunk has opened on its own. The first two times I was at home and just thought that maybe I forgot to close the trunk but today it happened at work and one of my fellow workers let me know that my trunk was open. I went out and closed it but I was able to have the security camera film checked and it just popped open on its own in the parking lot, this was nearly 2 hours of me being at work and I keep my keys on my desk which is hundreds of feet into the building away from my car. Before I contacted Cadillac I was wondering if any one else had the same issue?
    Hello crash30920,

That is a weird occurrence to have your trunk open randomly. Are you thinking of taking your vehicle into your dealership to discuss your concern? Please keep us updated on your situation!

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    Hello crash30920,

That is a weird occurrence to have your trunk open randomly. Are you thinking of taking your vehicle into your dealership to discuss your concern? Please keep us updated on your situation!

Regards,

Laura M.
    Hello Laura,

Yes I plan on bringing this to my dealers attention since I already have to bring up an issue with the chrome on the exhaust, which can best be described as textured and no longer having a chrome finish. I just wanted to see if there was anyone else having the issue and seeing what the dealer did for them,

Thanks,
    Ken

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by crash30920 View Post
    Hello Laura,

Yes I plan on bringing this to my dealers attention since I already have to bring up an issue with the chrome on the exhaust, which can best be described as textured and no longer having a chrome finish. I just wanted to see if there was anyone else having the issue and seeing what the dealer did for them,

Thanks,
    Ken
    Hi Ken,

I understand getting advice from other members on these forums are beneficial and what they are here for! It is such a great way to communicate with other Cadillac owner's! I just wanted to also reach out and see how I could be of assistance. Thanks for the response. I will be on the lookout for your updates.

Sincerely,

Laura M.

cathycpc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

I had it happen to twice last month. I though it was the way I had the fob in my purse, that I pushed the button. I turned it around in my purse and it hasn't happened since.

Cisitalia is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 3.6 RWD WDT/LPB

Check this thread out, it should shed some light on this issue.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...g-its-own.html

rustybear3 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

This is an old problem that was discussed before.....it's people activating their key FOB in their pants pockets or purses by accident....the FOB has tremendous range and it doesn't take much...

Dave3283 is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS, 2.0t - Performance
    Happened twice to me, been conscious of the fob and hasn't happened since.

GJB
    GJB is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium

You might want to try a silicone fob protector that covers the buttons and it does prevent unintended openings. There are a few sellers out there (just google) the below is just one of the one I used.

iJDMTOY Soft Silicone Remote Smart Key Holder Fob For Cadillac Escalade CTS SRX, etc
    by iJDMTOY Car Accessories

jph
    jph is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6 RWD premium

i found my trunk open once so far, while my car was inside my garage.
    i just assumed that i must have bumped the button, as i keep the keyfob in my pocket.

J.

Quote Originally Posted by rustybear3 View Post
    This is an old problem that was discussed before.....it's people activating their key FOB in their pants pockets or purses by accident....the FOB has tremendous range and it doesn't take much...
    The first couple of times I guessed it was me hitting the fob accidentally but I keep my keys hanging by the door in my home so I would actually have to hit the fob and at work the key is on my desk by it self right under my monitor so I won't forget them so I know I did not hit the fob. Second as to range I tried unlocking my trunk from my desk today with no luck just kept hitting it as I walked from my desk out of the building to the car. I had to be outside the building and within line of sight about 250-300 feet away for it to open this was about 300 feet closer than where my office is.

Bertha D Blues is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T AWD, '13 SRX AWD Performance

Another trunk problem that was discussed in a recent thread was that it wouldn’t open when the door button, trunk lid button or fob was pressed. An audible click was heard but the trunk wouldn’t unlatch. I believe the ultimate solution was that the latch mechanism was adjusted too tightly. The trunk could be opened if downward pressure was applied to the lid to release tension within the latch.

Your problem may be related. If your latch was also adjusted too tightly, it’s possible that it is not closing completely and it is releasing itself with little or no external input from you. The good news is that trunk, door, etc. latches are easily adjusted by your dealer. Bert

Cisitalia is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 3.6 RWD WDT/LPB

Quote Originally Posted by Bertha D Blues View Post
    Another trunk problem that was discussed in a recent thread was that it wouldn’t open when the door button, trunk lid button or fob was pressed. An audible click was heard but the trunk wouldn’t unlatch. I believe the ultimate solution was that the latch mechanism was adjusted too tightly. The trunk could be opened if downward pressure was applied to the lid to release tension within the latch.

Your problem may be related. If your latch was also adjusted too tightly, it’s possible that it is not closing completely and it is releasing itself with little or no external input from you. The good news is that trunk, door, etc. latches are easily adjusted by your dealer. Bert
    Mine would not open with downward pressure applied to the trunk lid. But as you say, the dealer adjusted it and it works fine now with no problems.

Interesting thought that his trunk may not be latching completely, then comming loose later. It probably is not that though, because he would have had times when it opened while driving. While driving the vibrations are more likely to make it open, than standing still.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.