My car is dangerous to drive: Tires or car?
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, My car is dangerous to drive: Tires or car? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I have already posted how the car's rear end slides out when taking normal corner turns on a wet road. ...
    flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

My car is dangerous to drive: Tires or car?

I have already posted how the car's rear end slides out when taking normal corner turns on a wet road. And, surprisingly, there haven't been any response from the Cadillac net monitors, nor anyone else. Well, let me make my case again and hopefully I'll get some guidance.

It's my wife's car, but she's been away and I've now had a chance to spend a fair amount of time behind the wheel. Yesterday, the roads were wet from quite a bit of rain. Driving on a wet road after the rains had passed, the car definitely slide out on turns. The fronts hold, but the rears slide out. Today, all road were dry and the car wonderfully hugged the turns. Is it the car or is it the tires? In any event, considering the amount of rain we get in SoFL, this car is a disaster waiting to happen and I am very, very fearful of letting my wife drive on wet roads.

Hopefully Cadillac will see this post (title meant to draw their attention) and comment.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

kmb32687 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD Manual

Re: My car is dangerous to drive: Tires or car?

Does your car have RWD or AWD? If it's RWD, I believe it's part of LSD that causing the rear end slides out. LSD usually lock up only when you turn and press gas at the same time.

I wouldn't worry about it. Just don't turn off the traction or traction control system.

jamboarder is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by flycaster View Post
    I have already posted how the car's rear end slides out when taking normal corner turns on a wet road. And, surprisingly, there haven't been any response from the Cadillac net monitors, nor anyone else. Well, let me make my case again and hopefully I'll get some guidance.

Hopefully Cadillac will see this post (title meant to draw their attention) and comment.
    Instead of waiting for Cadillac reps to show up serendipitously on an Internet forum, why on earth don't you talk to the people who you paid good money for ownership and warranty support - your Cadillac dealership?

Hoosier Daddy is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by jamboarder View Post
    Instead of waiting for Cadillac reps to show up serendipitously on an Internet forum, why on earth don't you talk to the people who you paid good money for ownership and warranty support - your Cadillac dealership?
    Yes. You can't expect someone to figure out what the problem is based on an internet post. And I haven't heard anything that would rule out the driver being the problem. I'm not saying that's it; I'm saying there is nothing to say it isn't. You may know its not the driver, but how can anyone else know that based on words on the internet? Procedures exist for a reason. Report it to the dealer. If you don't like what they do, then contact Cadillac Customer Service. And if you think its unsafe, you should report it to the NHTSA: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/.
    thebigjimsho and thebigjimsho like this.

Usually, before I get repairs or or have a problem, I like to see if there is anyone else out there that is having the same problem. I like to be prepared before I go to the dealer or repair guy.

KMB might have a point. Even though I'm not "barreling" through the turn, I do hit the gas slightly as I am coming out of the turn. After your telling me that the traction control (I don't have LSD, but do have TCS) might lock up as I come out of the turn (giving a little gas), I have the feeling that if I were to keep constant speed through the turn, the the car might not slide out. Or, maybe turn TC off in wet weather??? I've got RWD and as far as I know, I haven't turned off the traction controls. Road will soon be wet again and I'll be able to test this out.

Umm... So let me get this straight.

You declare that your car is "dangerous to drive", you're surprised there hasn't been a response from a Cadillac rep that you expected would have stumbled into your posts on an internet forum by now, yet you choose to continue to wait for a Cadillac rep to stumble into your posts on said internet forum, and you choose to forego taking your dangerous-to-drive car to your Cadillac dealership because you want to be "prepared" with something from said internet forum.

Seriously?!

Let me help you out. No one has had their "car's rear end slide out when taking normal corner turns on a wet road". Now take your dangerous-to-drive car to your Cadillac dealership or, better yet, use your Cadillac road side assistance and have your dangerous-to-drive car towed to your Cadillac dealership.
    Rozay619 and Rozay619 like this.

wongluk is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T 6spd
    Not sure if anything wrong with your car but Do people know how to properly drive a rwd car???

ATS is suppose to be responsive to driver's input and exciting to drive...it is called oversteer!

Quote Originally Posted by wongluk View Post
    Not sure if anything wrong with your car but Do people know how to properly drive a rwd car???

ATS is suppose to be responsive to driver's input and exciting to drive...it is called oversteer!
    For the last 11 years I have been driving a BMW 2002 325i and a BMW Z4 (kept the Z4, thank goodness as none of the newer cars handle like these do). Both are rear wheel drives, I know about oversteer and understeer. I am not a hazardous driver. I know when a car holds the road and I know when it slips. My ATS rear slips when the road is wet...doesn't have to be raining, just a wet road.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    ...And if you think its unsafe, you should report it to the NHTSA: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/.
    I don't think it is the car, per se. It could be the tires and/or how I come out of the turn. I do not speed out of the turn, just a normal acceleration... I'm not looking to dis anyone, just want a problem to be solved. You know, there will always be problems with just about anything. What is important is how these problems are solved.

... It could be the tires and/or how I come out of the turn. I do not speed out of the turn, just a normal acceleration... I'm not looking to dis anyone, just want a problem to be solved. You know, there will always be problems with just about anything. What is important is how these problems are solved.
    If you want a dangerous-to-drive car problem solved, take it to your Cadillac dealership. If it truly is important to you how these problems are solved, know that the dealership is where dangerous-to-drive car problems are solved. No amount of online banter on an internet forum will solve a problem that, by your own measure, makes your vehicle "dangerous to drive". It doesn't matter if anyone else is experiencing it (no one is). Just get your vehicle to a dealership if you truly think your car is dangerous to drive.

If it's not clear what I'm hinting at yet, get your dangerous-to-drive car to the Cadillac dealership.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

It's my wife's car, but she's been away and I've now had a chance to spend a fair amount of time behind the wheel. Yesterday, the roads were wet from quite a bit of rain. Driving on a wet road after the rains had passed, the car definitely slide out on turns. The fronts hold, but the rears slide out. Today, all road were dry and the car wonderfully hugged the turns. Is it the car or is it the tires? In any event, considering the amount of rain we get in SoFL, this car is a disaster waiting to happen and I am very, very fearful of letting my wife drive on wet roads.

Hello flycaster,

I have read your post and looked through this forum thread. I am sorry you feel that your vehicle is unsafe to drive in wet conditions. I am customer assistance, here to document your concerns and connect you with the right people who can provide further assistance. I cannot give you technical advice or explain why you are experiencing this issue. With this being said, I do recommend taking your vehicle into the dealership and discussing your concerns with them. We rely on the dealerships to provide excellent service and use their technical expertise for our customer's. Please let us know if we can help you with anything else.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

All good advice, Jamboarder. However, I am well aware of all that you suggested, but I'm addicted to the forums. I'll be at the dealer this week and have them take a look, or at least explain what's happening. Thanks for your help.

amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

Do not understand all the thrashing about here.
    They are building Cadillacs for different reasons these days.
    http://www.consumerguide.com/cadilla...ury-rwd/specs/
    Wide tires - horsepower - rear wheel drive - reduced weight - etc.
    StabiliTrak, vehicle stability enhancement system is supposed to make the vehicle managable.
    Like others posted. Insure the vehicle is functioning correctly. If that is ok look for the best wet weather tire you can afford. If that fails wait for inclimate weather and test drive an AWD version to see if that helps.
    Oh by the way they are not making roads like the used to ether. Seems they prefer Black greasy roads these days (add rain and dark they just disapear).

kmb32687 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD Manual

I took the car to AutoX today. I had a lot of fun. Anyways, I was trying to see if I can try make it like "drift", it's hard to do that. If you press in half way gas, you might feel the slide little bit but it won't go spin around unless if you floor it. I noticed the tires are crappy. No grips at all. Good rain tires probably will help little but not a lot. Unless if you get sticky race tires. Lol

Remember, StabiliTrak will prevent the car to spin out. That's why I said I wouldn't worry about it.

Interesting report, KMB, and glad you did it. On dry roads, no problem with the rear end sticking well. How about giving it a try on a wet road? Don't hve to track it, just take a regular corner turn and accelerate a little out of the turm...what happens? I'm also thinking that if one takes the "wet" thurn at constant speed, no slippage will occur.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    Hello flycaster,

I have read your post and looked through this forum thread. I am sorry you feel that your vehicle is unsafe to drive in wet conditions. I am customer assistance, here to document your concerns and connect you with the right people who can provide further assistance. I cannot give you technical advice or explain why you are experiencing this issue. With this being said, I do recommend taking your vehicle into the dealership and discussing your concerns with them. We rely on the dealerships to provide excellent service and use their technical expertise for our customer's. Please let us know if we can help you with anything else.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service
    As long as this wet road-rear end slippage problem is duly noted by Cadillac. I'll be into the dealer next week and will have this checked out.

bravnik is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T Premium, Raven/Murano, Sunroof, CAP

It's probably the runflats that's the issue. They are known to handle like crap and ride rough. I can't wait to get rid of mine.
    M5eater and M5eater like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.