How to remove white film from vinyl trim
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, How to remove white film from vinyl trim in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; For those of you who detail their own cars and occasionally get some of that wax on vinyl trim, thus ...
    flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

How to remove white film from vinyl trim

For those of you who detail their own cars and occasionally get some of that wax on vinyl trim, thus leading to a white film on the trim - which you can't remove, the fix is here. No need to buy any fancy stuff, just spread peanut butter (any kind, including crunchy) over the area, rub in softly with a tooth brush or a cloth, clean off with a little soap and water, dry and then put some vinyl protectorant over it. I believe that the reason it works so well is that the oils in the PB displace the residues that are so hard to remove the vinyl; and the PB stuff is easy to clean off. Have fun.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

donavo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL

Re: How to remove white film from vinyl trim

theres vinyl on this car....?

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Cadillac owners use cheap products that stain trim?

Hey Hoosier, hope you're not serious about "cheap products." As you probably know, good waxes can also stain vinyl. Anyway, the peanut butter tastes good...I prefer crunchy.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by donavo View Post
    theres vinyl on this car....?
    I'm talking about the back trim that is in the bottom part of the rear and extends around to the bottom of the rear quarter panels, and trim that is there where the fog lights probably go. All plastic stuff that will stain.

Quote Originally Posted by flycaster View Post
    Hey Hoosier, hope you're not serious about "cheap products." As you probably know, good waxes can also stain vinyl. Anyway, the peanut butter tastes good...I prefer crunchy.

----------

I'm talking about the back trim that is in the bottom part of the rear and extends around to the bottom of the rear quarter panels, and trim that is there where the fog lights probably go. All plastic stuff that will stain.
    oh u mean the plastic right above the reverse light? or the dull chrome trim that says cadillac on it?

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Hey Hoosier, hope you're not serious about "cheap products." As you probably know, good waxes can also stain vinyl.
    I was half kidding. But the best waxes and sealants don't stain trim. Some good ones might.

Quote Originally Posted by donavo View Post
    oh u mean the plastic right above the reverse light? or the dull chrome trim that says cadillac on it?
    Yeah, all the black plastic trim, above and below the reverse lights, around the tail pipes, its all one piece that goes from the bottom of one quarter panel, around the rear, and ends under the other quarter panel. Some waxes, but not all, may leave a white film if you accidentally get the wax on it. This film is usually very difficult to remove by standard methods. There are solutions you can buy to remove the film, but peanut butter does cleaning the job for free.

Yeah, all the black plastic trim, above and below the reverse lights, around the tail pipes, its all one piece that goes from the bottom of one quarter panel, around the rear, and ends under the other quarter panel. Some waxes, but not all, may leave a white film if you accidentally get the wax on it. This film is usually very difficult to remove by standard methods. There are solutions you can buy to remove the film, but peanut butter does cleaning the job for free.

ahh ok. now i know which part u mean. thats the trim. i dont think there is any vinyl anywhere on this car. but thats a good tip none-the-less. i like these "use common home supplies to do the job" things. kind of like the toothpaste on dull headlights.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    I was half kidding. But the best waxes and sealants don't stain trim. Some good ones might.
    Not disagreeing with you, some, even expensive ones, can stain. I'm a Zaino guy (well known among BMW and Corvette folks), been using their sealants/polishes for 11 years. A several step process, but once the original prepping is done, the touch ups are really easy. And, of course, I have found that Zaino's stuff really protects my cars from bird crap and tree crap (all of which can cause severe spotting of the paint), of which we have a lot of here in SoFL.

Anyway, I was using Zaino's All-In-One (cleans and polishes, and don't have to use a special agent to help with bonding) on the new ATS, and to my surprise when I over ran onto the plastic parts, a film formed. Thus the reason for the use of PB (crunchy, if you need to know, but smooth also works) to remove the film...and I thought that some of the guys might be interested if they experience a white film problem.

73JPS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Performance 6MT

I was confused when i first read this post because I thought you were referring to detailing the inside of the car, and getting stuff on the vinyl parts of the seats, but I get it now; I am a little slow.

Cool tip. And tasty.

Now, if I could just get the neighbourhood dogs to stop licking the car...

jph
    jph is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6 RWD premium

have you tried isopropyl alcohol?
    i don't think i want to rub peanut butter on my car

and yeah, those trim pieces are plastic.
    the vinyl is on the inside. at first i was wondering what you were waxing the interior for

ps: avoid waxing those pieces. if you know that you're going to get wax on them... use some painters tape to mask them off.
    the few minutes you spend putting the tape on, is nothing compared to the effort (and amounts of peanut butter) to remove the mess later.

J.

In all honesty, it's PB all the way...You can't go wrong....Wear gloves

ewired is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 Cadillac ATS 2.0T
    Why would you even consider crunchy?

One false swipe with a hard nut and you could possibly nick or scratch the paint.

Doesn't go on the paint. Goes on the plastic trim. Crunchy is the only PB I have, and I really doubt that the "nuts" would scratch anything.

ewired is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 Cadillac ATS 2.0T
    Ohhh only goes on the trim, not the paint.....kinda like the wax is supposed to only go on the paint and not the trim....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.