Puzzling electrical glitch
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Puzzling electrical glitch in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; My ATS had an unusual glitch occur yesterday. Drove to and from work ( 88 mile round trip) and stopped ...
    slepr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T AWD Premium

Puzzling electrical glitch

My ATS had an unusual glitch occur yesterday. Drove to and from work ( 88 mile round trip) and stopped for about 10 minutes on the way home to drop something off at the office. When I resumed my trip home the first thing I noticed was that my HUD was not working, glanced down at the steering wheel and all the lights for the buttons were dark. Tried adjusting the HUD with the button on the dashboard but no response. Tried the buttons on the steering wheel and found that the radio buttons would not work, neither would the button for voice input for CUE, however the button to adjust the adaptive cruise control distance setting would work. CUE was normal, DIC was normal, all gauges acting normally. Turned the car off and back on without a change in status. Decided to take it in today, but when I started it up everything was working normally. Guess I will wait and see if it happens again before bothering to take it in.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

xtheunknown is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.5L

Re: Puzzling electrical glitch

I had a very similar thing happen to me. I don't have CUE, but the steering wheel lights went out and the small display in the center was dark except for the big time being displayed. Radio wouldn't work. Climate control worked, but couldn't see any changes. I scheduled a service call, but when I turned it on the next day, it was back to normal. When I went in for scheduled maintenance yesterday, I asked them to check it out and there were no faults recorded in the computer and I am current on the software releases. The electronics just seem to be finicky.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by slepr View Post
    My ATS had an unusual glitch occur yesterday. Drove to and from work ( 88 mile round trip) and stopped for about 10 minutes on the way home to drop something off at the office. When I resumed my trip home the first thing I noticed was that my HUD was not working, glanced down at the steering wheel and all the lights for the buttons were dark. Tried adjusting the HUD with the button on the dashboard but no response. Tried the buttons on the steering wheel and found that the radio buttons would not work, neither would the button for voice input for CUE, however the button to adjust the adaptive cruise control distance setting would work. CUE was normal, DIC was normal, all gauges acting normally. Turned the car off and back on without a change in status. Decided to take it in today, but when I started it up everything was working normally. Guess I will wait and see if it happens again before bothering to take it in.
    Hello slepr,

I am sorry your HUD was not working. If your vehicle has this unusual glitch occur again, make note of the current conditions which your vehicle is under. This will make it easier for you to explain to the technician and for them to diagnose the issue properly if you choose to take your vehicle into the dealership. If you have other concerns or questions don’t hesitate to ask!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

slepr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T AWD Premium

Laura,
    Thank you for your response. I am hopeful it was a one-time thing. But if it does recur I will heed your advice.

Ben003 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS on order
    I have the same problem everyday. Have had car for 6700 km's now, 2 weeks... I drive a tonne.

Out of my time in car, stereo has worked about 10% if the time. So, symptoms are:

'Cue system error' often msg

When having 'issues' the favourites do not show up, but I can get into climate, etc but not settings or home

Screen often blank, steering wheel included

Stereo will turn on when I hit a bump, but go into error, off shortly after

My clock time is wrong. Was set to sync with phone, and use to be correct. Switched to manual, set it, and again wrong all the time (that it works enough to show time)

I have an iPhone 5. Have disabled all Bluetooth, hard wire connections to phone and problems persist. This problem is a joy because my bluetooth is unreliable, and while on work calls occasionally my stereo will kick in and Howard stern comes on loud and clear, and I cannot turn it down or off for a period of time. Almost as if processor is not strong enough. Doesn't matter if FM or XM, same issues.

Also tough to control a delayed response climate control with a frozen screen.

I think it could be a loose fuse, bad wiring connection, or moisture causing a short. I have no training and am only guessing. Anyone else with problems like this? Apt on Wednesday! Can't wait.

BTW, love the car. ATS, 2.0 awd performance black metallic with red interior. Black grill to be installed when my 19" Targa anthracite rims come from D3.

Music would be nice too...

Quote Originally Posted by slepr View Post
    Laura,
    Thank you for your response. I am hopeful it was a one-time thing. But if it does recur I will heed your advice.
    You are very welcome slepr. We are here to provide assistance for you! I hope it was a one time thing for you as well; reach out to us whenever you have a question or concern.

Sincerely,

Laura M.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben003
    I have the same problem everyday. Have had car for 6700 km's now, 2 weeks... I drive a tonne.

Out of my time in car, stereo has worked about 10% if the time. So, symptoms are:

'Cue system error' often msg

When having 'issues' the favourites do not show up, but I can get into climate, etc but not settings or home

Screen often blank, steering wheel included

Stereo will turn on when I hit a bump, but go into error, off shortly after

My clock time is wrong. Was set to sync with phone, and use to be correct. Switched to manual, set it, and again wrong all the time (that it works enough to show time)

I have an iPhone 5. Have disabled all Bluetooth, hard wire connections to phone and problems persist. This problem is a joy because my bluetooth is unreliable, and while on work calls occasionally my stereo will kick in and Howard stern comes on loud and clear, and I cannot turn it down or off for a period of time. Almost as if processor is not strong enough. Doesn't matter if FM or XM, same issues.

Also tough to control a delayed response climate control with a frozen screen.

I think it could be a loose fuse, bad wiring connection, or moisture causing a short. I have no training and am only guessing. Anyone else with problems like this? Apt on Wednesday! Can't wait.

BTW, love the car. ATS, 2.0 awd performance black metallic with red interior. Black grill to be installed when my 19" Targa anthracite rims come from D3.

Music would be nice too...
    Broken wire easy fixed. No car wash, no gas, nothin! Can't believe it. And I had to go rent a Malibu, that was paid for, but holy crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben003

Broken wire easy fixed. No car wash, no gas, nothin! Can't believe it. And I had to go rent a Malibu, that was paid for, but holy crap.
    So, after my experience, I called the next day and asked to speak to the GM. Let him know about my experience..., very politely.

Cue not working, major problems. I personally thought I had a recall problem. It was larger then a recall in regard to how the system worked. System was for over a week blank screen, and a week intermittent functionality prior to that.

So, after 10 minutes of describing how I thought, based on my problems, a car wash and gas card could have been reasonable, but (and I don't want to be a complainer), our conversation ended. He could have said 'next time around stop in for a car wash', and I would have been thrilled. Not even. Clean every cadillac that comes for service is 'our objective', but couldn't extend an offer to me?!

Venting, but blown away. Luxury brand, f'in crap brutal service from a dealer that should be trained better. Any Caddy reps want to chime in? I prey... love the car but professional service is weak so far.

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

Quote Originally Posted by Ben003 View Post
    So, after my experience, I called the next day and asked to speak to the GM. Let him know about my experience..., very politely.

Cue not working, major problems. I personally thought I had a recall problem. It was larger then a recall in regard to how the system worked. System was for over a week blank screen, and a week intermittent functionality prior to that.

So, after 10 minutes of describing how I thought, based on my problems, a car wash and gas card could have been reasonable, but (and I don't want to be a complainer), our conversation ended. He could have said 'next time around stop in for a car wash', and I would have been thrilled. Not even. Clean every cadillac that comes for service is 'our objective', but couldn't extend an offer to me?!

Venting, but blown away. Luxury brand, f'in crap brutal service from a dealer that should be trained better. Any Caddy reps want to chime in? I prey... love the car but professional service is weak so far.
    1. I suspect that general mgr's mother had the same problem with him.
    2. Try the service mgr next time. Service mgrs (for all brands of cars) typically are tuned in to
    fantastic customer service.
    3. Take your vehicle to Cavender Cadillac in San Antonio. Cavender is the expert on customer
    service.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben003 View Post

Hello Ben003,

I am sorry for the dealership experience you had. z06bigbird did offer some good advice in possibly changing dealerships. You shouldn't have to deal with poor customer service. If other issues or concerns arise please reach out to us via private message!

Regards,

Laura M.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.