Is it me or is it the steering? BMW drivers invited. - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Is it me or is it the steering? BMW drivers invited. in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Not sure what you mean by tight. While I find the steering very light (compared to my previous e90), i ...
    cdp
    cdp is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6 Premium. Opulent Blue

Re: Is it me or is it the steering? BMW drivers invited.

Not sure what you mean by tight. While I find the steering very light (compared to my previous e90), i don't notice any slop or drift. I find the steering very accurate, and with better feel than the F30s I test drove. The weight is actually similar to my e89 Z4, which is also electric rather than hydraulic. The steering on my e90 was certainly better, and I'm sure earlier generation 3s were even better, but compared to current competition, i thinks it's great.

flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

Quote Originally Posted by cdp View Post
    Not sure what you mean by tight. While I find the steering very light (compared to my previous e90), i don't notice any slop or drift. I find the steering very accurate, and with better feel than the F30s I test drove. The weight is actually similar to my e89 Z4, which is also electric rather than hydraulic. The steering on my e90 was certainly better, and I'm sure earlier generation 3s were even better, but compared to current competition, i thinks it's great.
    I agree with your description of the progressive deterioration of steering control with each of the newer BMW-3s. I also agree that the present ATS's steering is the best among the present bunch of competitors. My take on why we may feeling this way about the steering is that BMW, since the E46, has gone after a bigger segment of the market by softening the drive. I believe that far more folks like the softer type drives and many were previously shying away from BMW because they felt it was a harsh ride. I now see quite a few older folks with BMWs and I'm quite sure that they were not looking for the "ride" (as they would find the real ride to stiff and uncomfortable) but rather the "mystic" associated with BMW.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Having driven the excellent ZF HPS in the V(with a bad alignment) to the EPS in the 2.0T Luxury I tested a few weeks ago, I could not tell any decerniable difference in on center twitchyness. Aside from being devoid of nearly all feeling I found it to be incredibly precise and linear in response up to full lock.

I would suggest that this problem, along with your previous thread is further indication that there is some kind of alignment issue going on with your car.

My suggestion would be to find a good shop that specializes in alignments (or an indy shop, tuner shop, what-have you, so long as they don't use that computerized alignment crap, or can prove they mantian it properly) and have them check it out for you.

morphius909 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I'm coming from an E90 335I 2011.

Compared to the E90...I don't like the ATS steering. TOO Loose and light feeling and not "one" with the road. With that said, it's still taught enough I suppose.

I have heard from others the F30 steering is loosey goosey in the new 3 series.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by morphius909 View Post
    I'm coming from an E90 335I 2011.

Compared to the E90...I don't like the ATS steering. TOO Loose and light feeling and not "one" with the road. With that said, it's still taught enough I suppose.

I have heard from others the F30 steering is loosey goosey in the new 3 series.
    The ATS steering is far better than in the F30...

flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

Was into the dealer the other day and talked about the "loose" steering (ie, compared to earlier BMWs). He said there was a steering program update, but I don't know what it was supposed to do. Well, had the update and there was no difference in the steering.

MyfirstCad is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Thundergray 13 ATS Performance V6

Only time I notice the car drifting is at highway speeds as it's grabbing onto very prevalent seams in the highway.

SLA
    SLA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T 6MT, 05 LGT, 97 M3

Quote Originally Posted by flycaster View Post
    Was into the dealer the other day and talked about the "loose" steering (ie, compared to earlier BMWs). He said there was a steering program update, but I don't know what it was supposed to do. Well, had the update and there was no difference in the steering.
    That was most likely for an issue where the car can lose power steering. I had that issue with mine. It has not happened again since we got the update.

tonka9 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 4 Premium 3.6

I've exclusively driven BMWs for the past 19 years; most recently a 335Xi.
    My ATS-4 Premium is my re-enrty to GM. I love tight steering and consider myself sensitive to play in the wheel or drifting. For all my ATS' faults I must say I have never felt anything less than a tight and fully controllable car. No better than the Bimmers but certainly no worse.
    Maybe I'm lucky?

Yplus is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS4 Turbo

As a driver of many BMWs, the ATS steering is lighter at slow speeds. I've always thought the BMWs were too heavy at around town speeds. But with sport mode on and with a little spirited driving, I think the ATSs steering is better than most BMWs, and ESPECIALLY the electric steering box versions.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.