Give them boys at BNR RACING a well deserved slap on the back
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Give them boys at BNR RACING a well deserved slap on the back in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Installed my tune early last week and boy does she want to run. A lot livelier and a better driving ...
    Groomie is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadllac ATS Performance 2.0 T Black Raven

Cool Give them boys at BNR RACING a well deserved slap on the back

Installed my tune early last week and boy does she want to run. A lot livelier and a better driving sport machine. Waiting for my data logs to be analyzed And
    returned with a better tune. (Buy the way I ran into a buddy with a camaro ss and i had him by about 5 lengths doing bout 100. We started at about 40. WHO HOO!)
    The car pulls hard and wants to go fast. No Dyno needed. Anyone in doubt for the tune I would not hesitate. BNR IS THE REAL DEAL! You could not ask for a better
    company. The service is second to none. Can't wait for the CAI

Bottom line is order the tune and enjoy. Makes me want to drive, drive, and when
    in bed asleep I dream about driving fast in this car. Best of all AMERICAN MADE

Anyway I want to send a shout out to BNR! Job well done and keep em coming

Groomie

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

gfxbt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T MT
    Can someone provide a definitive, exhaustively-explained, analysis of why the $150 (or whatever it is) cable is necessary for loading the tune?

Groomie is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadllac ATS Performance 2.0 T Black Raven

Re: Give them boys at BNR RACING a well deserved slap on the back

one of the cord plugs in to the obd plug under dash and the other end to the USB on the laptop with the tune. You use ez flash with trifecta and This is how it transfers the tune from laptop computer to car computer. Simple actually

romanats is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ats

i see a usb to obd2 cable on line for $20 can i just use this cable ?

Yes - I understand it is an OBD2 to USB cable. What I don't understand is why it is any different than the ones on Amazon for $10-20. I spent some time looking it up, and the same question was posed on the Camaro forums, Regal forums, etc. with no one ever really posting an answer.

For the most part, a cable is a cable. It is simply the medium through which a signal travels. Furthermore, the connection is digital, so cable quality isn't that important - all you are sending is 1s and 0s, so as long as they are there, you are fine (as opposed to analog where varying cable quality would effect signal quality). I've heard talk of a "micro-processor" being housed within the Trifecta cable. Now, I'm not a computer scientist, but I'm not computer illiterate (I can code in Java, C, Python, and Scheme), but I just don't see what processing power the cable would need. Again, it is simply the medium through which the signal passes. The signal shouldn't need to be decoded, amplified, etc. This is where the confusion arises. I'm not trying to call anyone a liar, I just don't understand it and it is frustrating that there does not appear to be a definitive answer anywhere, especially when this question has been raised time and time again. The worst part is, it is likely holding people back from getting the tune, as it increases the cost by 50%. Hard to justify it when you don't even know that it is necessary. I've posed this question before on threads started by BNR and they have failed to respond (I don't know if they didn't see the post, or they simply ignored the post, but they were active on the thread after I posted). Anyone out there with any thoughts?

rspitler is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 3.6 Premium Crystal Red Tintcoat ATS
    The cable could be proprietary meaning the pin outs won't match up. The hand held device might not use standard pin out. The OBD connector is probably standard though.

Quote Originally Posted by rspitler View Post
    The cable could be proprietary meaning the pin outs won't match up. The hand held device might not use standard pin out. The OBD connector is probably standard though.
    Not a bad thought, but from what I have read it sounds like it connects to your laptop (i.e., standard USB), then to the car (i.e., standard OBDII). So I don't think that is the case.

bravnik is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T Premium, Raven/Murano, Sunroof, CAP

Best way to tell is to get a cable from BNR and then purchase one from EBay and see if the pin outs are the same. My guess is that they are the same unless the OBDII reader needs a certain pin out to write to the ECU vs just reading. Ether way if you have both cables and don't mind tearing apart the ends, you can tell. You could also get another ECU from a supported car and see if you can write to it using the software and a $20 cable.

Quote Originally Posted by bravnik View Post
    Best way to tell is to get a cable from BNR and then purchase one from EBay and see if the pin outs are the same.
    This is also a good idea. I considered buying the tune, then buying a cable with free two day shipping from amazon. Problem is, I don't want to be stuck with the file and not have the ability to load it, then have to order the cable from BNR and wait for it to get here. That may seem like a minor inconvenience, but the annoyance factor is extremely high when by now, there should be an explanation of the necessity of the BNR cable, and we should know whether we can use the cheap cable on amazon or need to use the expensive cable from BNR. I suppose at this point the only way we will find out is if someone actually tries it, but for the reason explained above, I don't think anyone wants to be the one to try it.

donavo is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL

honestly, that tune sounds really really too good to be true...there has to be a tradeoff....and so far no one mentioned it. unless it just goes without saying. if i were to get this tune, can i go back to stock at the end of my lease? if i get that tune, will my engine/ car be put under too much stress? by too much i mean more than the car can handle. i know u put it under stress just by pressing hard on the accelerator. i mean more than that. will the car have a significantly higher probability of needing a new engine in 10k miles? 40k miles?

i am also interested in the tune and mine is a lease also. I dont really care if the car needs an engine in 10k just want to make sure i am able to put it back to stock and take it to the dealer. The price of a tune is fair but not the price of the cable. I am going to speak to one of the guys that knows this stuff and ask him if the amazon cable is good inough. I will keep ypu guys posted

Quote Originally Posted by romanats View Post
    The price of a tune is fair but not the price of the cable.
    Agreed. Maybe it is a marketing ploy. Advertise the tune for $300, and people say "well that seems like a pretty good deal." Then price the cable at $150. If we assume (I say assume because I have no idea if this is true and I don't want to make accusations without knowing all of the information) that the cable is really just the $10 cable, then the bulk of the $150 is really just going toward the tune. Makes the total package around $450, but consumers will still look at it and have the initial impression that the tune is reasonably priced (not necessarily saying that $450 is not reasonably priced also). Just a thought.

Also, if you look at the D3 tune (which is admittedly just the Trifecta tune), it sells for $629 and includes the cable (at least that's the way I read it - http://www.d3cadillac.com/ - click on tuning interface). So another question is why the price discrepancy (i.e., what do you get from D3 that is worth the extra $179 or so)?

I really am bummed out though that BNR hasn't stepped up and explained this, since I know this issue has been discussed extensively for years on several different forums. Could lead one to believe that there really isn't an explanation. But again, that could be entirely wrong and we just have no idea what we are talking about.

bungee91 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Opulent ATS 2.0T Premium Manual

From my time with the tune (a couple of weeks now) I agree that it's fantastic!

I also think all this time thinking about cheap Amazon/Ebay cables is a waste, and I sure wouldn't want to gamble on trying to flash my ECM/BCM/... with some untested unsupported cable!

There are absolutely differences between the BNR cable and the ones you speak of. For example the red cable (the one you're likely to buy eventually) isn't compatible with Ion Redline/Cobalt SS of certain years as I'm sure there are certain differences between the way you program those vs other vehicles. Research all you want, but in the end you'll be buying a cable from them and not thinking about it again. I waited for their 20% off sale, and at that point the cable was basically free.

BNR/Trifecta state that with using transparency mode you can flash back to stock and the dealer won't see that anything has ever been flashed. The only way they could supposedly tell is by sending the ECM out to GM for the engineers to disect, and that happening is a very slim to hasn't happened occurrence.

I have a better Idea lets set up some sort of group buy and ask them for a discouts or if we have 5 people we can just share the cable. I know they did this before on a buick regal forum

donavo is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL

after 1996, all cars started using OBD2 instead of OBD1. ALL OBD2 plugs are supposed to be exactly the same. so an OBD2 to USB is supposed to be the same no matter what the cable brand is. i still dont see why one cable would work vs another. if its OBD2 then its OBD2...thats all...the pins match up. u cant get a different kind of OBD2 with different pins. thats like saying youre gonna get a USB port thats round. just doesnt happen. somebody correct me if im wrong. but when you go to get your codes checked, or you buy the module to check the codes yourself, you buy an OBD2 module. and after that, doesnt matter what car you have....it works. just like doesnt matter what laptop you have. if it has a usb port, its the same port as anyones laptop.

search obd2 cables in google. theres an article. heres a screenshot of said article. link is here: http://www.squidoo.com/usb-obdii-lap...-cables-review

2AEA9C71DFFB79.jpg

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.