Give them boys at BNR RACING a well deserved slap on the back - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Give them boys at BNR RACING a well deserved slap on the back in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Donavo i think you are absolutely right an OBD2 cable is OBD2 but there are different usb cables ther is ...
    romanats is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ats

Re: Give them boys at BNR RACING a well deserved slap on the back

Donavo i think you are absolutely right an OBD2 cable is OBD2 but there are different usb cables ther is usb 2.0 usb 3.0 and now a usb 4.0 and they are not compatable. so that might be the problem

gfxbt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T MT

Excellent work donavo. The non-propriety of the cable was the assumption I was running with. On the BNR website, it states that "[t]his cable has a microprocessor in it which allows it to read AND write to the vehicles ECM." The implication from this is that other cables lack the microprocessor, and consequently, the ability to "read AND write." My guess is that this means the standard cable can't write to the ECU. What I don't understand is what limitation the cable would have on reading v. writing. If you can read from the ECU, you must be communicatively coupled to the ECU. If you are communicatively coupled to the ECU, it only follows that you can write to the ECU. Think about it with a more commonplace example. You plug your laptop into an external hard drive. If you use Cable1, you can access the data (read) on the external hard drive, but you can not transfer data (write) to the external hard drive. But if you use Cable2, you can both read and write to the external hard drive. Doesn't make any sense to me. I don't understand why it would be cable-dependent. Sure there can be access restrictions, but those restrictions would reside on the laptop or the external drive, not the cable. The cable is simply the link that allows data to pass between the laptop and the external drive.

For further thought, I read some product reviews on Amazon. One reviewer (Apex) states that he was able to use this cable to tune his Subaru (http://www.amazon.com/Diagnostics-OB...=pd_sbs_auto_2). This would mean this $8.40 cable can read and write to the ECU.

In sum, the BNR website implies that a cable with microprocessor is necessary. To go back to the external drive example, this would be like saying to write to the external drive, you need to connect your computer to a second processor, which is then connected to the external drive. All a processor does is execute commands. In other words, no code resides on the processor. Whatever application you need to communicate with the ECU will reside on your laptop. The laptop's on board processor will execute the commands, and transfer the data via the cable. No external processor needed. If I am wrong here, someone please explain.

I am willing to Paypall someone $10 to buy the cable and try to upload a tune on to their car
    donavo and donavo like this.

ewired is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 Cadillac ATS 2.0T
    Why not just "rent" the cable? Trifecta has that option.

Get your tune
    Get your cheap cable
    Rent the Trifecta Cable.

Test both cables and you tell us. Send the trifecta cable back if the other cable works. Really a no brainer here.

Fwiw I bought the trifecta cable.

donavo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL

Quote Originally Posted by ewired View Post
    Why not just "rent" the cable? Trifecta has that option.

Get your tune
    Get your cheap cable
    Rent the Trifecta Cable.

Test both cables and you tell us. Send the trifecta cable back if the other cable works. Really a no brainer here.

Fwiw I bought the trifecta cable.
    if ur getting the tune as well, just buy the amazon cable mentioned above, have the guy that offered 10 dollars send u 10 dollars, and try both cables...everyone will appreciate it. lol.

i have a q does the tune needs to be uploaded ones or if for example you want to bring the car back to stock and a week later put the tune back on Does the ECM store it or it overwrites it?

gfxbt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T MT

The problem with renting the cable is data logging and returning the car to stock if you so desire.

Someone mentioned USB 2.0, 3.0, etc. There is no compatibility issue here and it has nothing to do with the cable. USB x.0 represents different technology for transferring data over a USB connection. And as for that matter, the connection is fairly irrelevant and mostly just dictates the shape of the connector you are using. Additionally, the concern is not about whether it will "plug in," but rather will it transfer the requisite data appropriately.

As for the $10, that's not really what it is about. It is about getting the tune and the $10 cable then figuring out you can't load it and being bummed out. It is about the fact that no one can step up and answer this question, and since no one can, it makes me skeptical. I am really not interested in buying a $150 cable when I don't have to. I will have just felt like I got screwed. So either way, you don't win (unless you are willing to be the one to test it out). It is just another factor that weighs against the tune for me. I am already concerned about voiding the warranty, and having problems as a result of the tune. Also, if it feels like the company you are buying the tune from is screwing you over by charging you $150 for a $10 cable, how much faith can you have in them that the car will still be running in 10,000 miles? What matters are these issues, not the $10. I appreciate all the feedback, and still welcome more as we try to solve this dilemma.
    donavo and donavo like this.

Groomie is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadllac ATS Performance 2.0 T Black Raven

Question guys or gals?
    You bought a cadillac and a very nice car I must say. The tune makes a night and day difference in performance. You can put it back to stock at your leisure. My opinion and only mine. Use the cable that is recommended and buy it. That way you can always change and data log your tune at will. Remember we are not tuning a Yugo. Just my two cents, plus if you are considering tuning, you will consider more things as they come out. Cold air intake anyone?

hood101010 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6 Performance

Not an IT expert at all just offering info. Im pretty sure Apple's lightning cables also use a microprocessor so imitators cannot be used. I know Dell puts them in their Laptop power cables again so imitators cannot be used. The data checks for these before it sends continues data / power transmission. Both claim to use these to insure quality performance but its also about controlling profits and eliminating competition. This tune cable could be a form of this or maybe just a bluff.

BNRacing is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE
    The red cable is a new cable to us- only made available within the last year or so. It does indeed have a microprocessor in it that is capable of writing to GMs CANBUS interface. Don't think of OBD2 as the cable type, because its not really accurate to use that term. For example a 2003 Corvette uses obd2 and so does your ATS. But the red cable won't work with the 2003 corvette because of the communication protocol used by GM. If you want to look at other cables capable of doing the same thing as our red cable, look at the tactrix open port 2.0. It's basically the same cable and was actually used by us before we found a company to make the red cable for us. They are normally around $220-230 shipped. The other cable that we sell that works with all vehicles including late 90s obd2 is $250.

The red cable also has custom firmware flashed to it to work with ezflash. If you buy one of the amazon or eBay cables, it will not work. You are welcome to try but it won't work. The only cables that will work are the open port 2.0 (and only if you buy one from us or pay for our custom firmware for one you already own) or the red cable or the much more expensive black box.

We run into these questions in every new market it seems like, but if you look at other tuning companies that sell the same type of cables, they are all much more expensive. The red cable is actually one of the cheapest tuning cables you can get.

rspitler is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 3.6 Premium Crystal Red Tintcoat ATS
    Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Groomie View Post
    Installed my tune early last week and boy does she want to run. A lot livelier and a better driving sport machine. Waiting for my data logs to be analyzed And
    returned with a better tune. (Buy the way I ran into a buddy with a camaro ss and i had him by about 5 lengths doing bout 100. We started at about 40. WHO HOO!)
    The car pulls hard and wants to go fast. No Dyno needed. Anyone in doubt for the tune I would not hesitate. BNR IS THE REAL DEAL! You could not ask for a better
    company. The service is second to none. Can't wait for the CAI

Bottom line is order the tune and enjoy. Makes me want to drive, drive, and when
    in bed asleep I dream about driving fast in this car. Best of all AMERICAN MADE

Anyway I want to send a shout out to BNR! Job well done and keep em coming

Groomie

I'm glad you like it!

donavo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL

Quote Originally Posted by BNRacing View Post
    The red cable is a new cable to us- only made available within the last year or so. It does indeed have a microprocessor in it that is capable of writing to GMs CANBUS interface. Don't think of OBD2 as the cable type, because its not really accurate to use that term. For example a 2003 Corvette uses obd2 and so does your ATS. But the red cable won't work with the 2003 corvette because of the communication protocol used by GM. If you want to look at other cables capable of doing the same thing as our red cable, look at the tactrix open port 2.0. It's basically the same cable and was actually used by us before we found a company to make the red cable for us. They are normally around $220-230 shipped. The other cable that we sell that works with all vehicles including late 90s obd2 is $250.

The red cable also has custom firmware flashed to it to work with ezflash. If you buy one of the amazon or eBay cables, it will not work. You are welcome to try but it won't work. The only cables that will work are the open port 2.0 (and only if you buy one from us or pay for our custom firmware for one you already own) or the red cable or the much more expensive black box.

We run into these questions in every new market it seems like, but if you look at other tuning companies that sell the same type of cables, they are all much more expensive. The red cable is actually one of the cheapest tuning cables you can get.

i actually really hope this is true and other cables dont work. cuz if they do then it really throws off the trust factor...but im sure what BNR says is true.

It won't work. There is actually an example of someone on here with a CTS that tried to use an ebay cable and it wouldn't work. I'll see if I can find the thread

edit: looks like that thread was deleted for some reason, but the guy was trying to use a cable he bought on ebay that looked like our cable and it wouldn't work.

BRD can you guys set up some kind of rent cable policy or a group buy for us

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.