My 1,200 mile ATS broke down today - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, My 1,200 mile ATS broke down today in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Originally Posted by stevenzoz I'm kind of uncomfortable having the dealer giving me a new car with its second engine, ...
    Hoosier Daddy is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Re: My 1,200 mile ATS broke down today

Quote Originally Posted by stevenzoz View Post
    I'm kind of uncomfortable having the dealer giving me a new car with its second engine, it makes me sort of concerned for the future since its brand new.
    Since that will reduce the car's value when you sell it, you may be able to get some diminished value compensation from Cadillac. Something like GM's longest, most complete extended warranty, for example.

And if you really don't want a car with a replacement engine, it might be worth looking at your location's lemon laws. That by itself wouldn't be enough here, but maybe where you live....

stevenzoz is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    Since that will reduce the car's value when you sell it, you may be able to get some diminished value compensation from Cadillac. Something like GM's longest, most complete extended warranty, for example.

And if you really don't want a car with a replacement engine, it might be worth looking at your location's lemon laws. That by itself wouldn't be enough here, but maybe where you live....
    Well the car is a lease.. But it still affects the residual at the end because of the lost value like you said. My lemon laws basically say I would have to let them replace the engine and if a major problem arises THEN they can replace the whole car

E365 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Why would the value of the car be diminished if they install a new engine? A crash fix, yes. But replacing mechanical parts?

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

Quote Originally Posted by E365 View Post
    Why would the value of the car be diminished if they install a new engine? A crash fix, yes. But replacing mechanical parts?
    well really think about it..

you're looking for a used ATS.

One has 50,000miles no real issues, for sale for $24,000

another has 50,0000miles had a major motor failure and had to have the engine swapped for $24,000?

I'd want the first one lol

Dave3283 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS, 2.0t - Performance
    It will be a new motor, fresh from the factory. Unless the techs are incompetent....all will be good. I'd take a car with a newer, not re-built motor.

SLA
    SLA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T 6MT, 05 LGT, 97 M3

We're not talking about a numbers matching 1970 GTO Judge here.

A new motor isn't going to change the value of your car, especially since there are only 1200 miles on the chassis.
    thebigjimsho and thebigjimsho like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave3283 View Post
    It will be a new motor, fresh from the factory. Unless the techs are incompetent....all will be good. I'd take a car with a newer, not re-built motor.
    Though what are the chances they've done an engine swap in the ats? I'll probably be the guinea pig

gfxbt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T MT
    At the end of the day, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I think you said you leased the car, and if that is true, it will be gone in two to three years. On the plus side, you can really beat on the thing and if anything goes wrong, you can blame it on the engine swap haha

btleier is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Well you can't expect out of the mass production of engines for a main stream car there isn't going to occasional failures. For now I think you should just have the motor replace, and be happy you have a warranty. If this becomes part of a larger problem then I could understand your concern, but for now I think you are over reacting
    Ihuntv8 and Ihuntv8 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by btleier View Post
    Well you can't expect out of the mass production of engines for a main stream car there isn't going to occasional failures. For now I think you should just have the motor replace, and be happy you have a warranty. If this becomes part of a larger problem then I could understand your concern, but for now I think you are over reacting
    I feel like many would have a similar reaction if the engine died on their brand new car.

rspitler is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 3.6 Premium Crystal Red Tintcoat ATS
    When I was growing up, my neighbor bought a brand new 1970 Monte Carlo with a 454. As he was driving off the dealers lot, the engine froze and had to be replaced. So yes, things like this happen. Although I too would be pissed if it happened to me.
    Ihuntv8 and Ihuntv8 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rspitler View Post
    Although I too would be pissed if it happened to me.
    That's all i'm trying to say lol

Ihuntv8 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 13ATS AWD, 14CTS-AWD

I'd be more upset with roadside assistance, especially if I didn't get a caddy for rental! My cadillac dealer gives you a upgraded car from your current model if your car is being repaired or having any recall done!
    I do have to say out of all cars I have owned, the Cadillac dealership has been the best dealing with! They also said that if/when the ats-v arrives I will be getting a call!
    Sucks oil pump failed, hope they take care of you!

Anthony31188 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Ihuntv8 View Post
    I'd be more upset with roadside assistance, especially if I didn't get a caddy for rental! My cadillac dealer gives you a upgraded car from your current model if your car is being repaired or having any recall done!
    I do have to say out of all cars I have owned, the Cadillac dealership has been the best dealing with! They also said that if/when the ats-v arrives I will be getting a call!
    Sucks oil pump failed, hope they take care of you!
    My cadillac dealership uses Hertz for their rental cars. I got a chevy malibu last time my car was getting repaired...it was a real pile.

Ihuntv8 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 13ATS AWD, 14CTS-AWD

^i would be very irritated at that!! I'd probably never buy another thing from that dealer! I wouldn't even take a free t-shirt and use it to start a fire!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.