Is this the electronic parking brake?
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Is this the electronic parking brake? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; On the lower portion of the dash, to the left of the steering wheel, I have two controls. The farthest ...
    flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

Is this the electronic parking brake?

On the lower portion of the dash, to the left of the steering wheel, I have two controls. The farthest left one is for controlling instrument panel lighting. The one just to its right appears to have a P on it. It is a button. Is it the Electronic Parking Brake? Reason I ask is that on page 9-31, its instruction call for "lifting" the button. This ahs thrown me off as I can't see the this button can be lifted. I needs to be pressed???

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

Re: Is this the electronic parking brake?

This is the Electronic parking brake.

73JPS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Performance 6MT

Only on the manuals, Steve: the automatics have the switch where FlyGuy has described it.

right I forgot with the drivers assist package or whatever its called you get the elec. brake on the automatics.

I've seen so many with the kick pedal I forgot lol.

But back to the question, my ebrake (manual) operates

Pull up(more of a rock back) -> engages

Push down ->Disengages

if the pull up is confusing you, just put your finger under the button and pull out (yes dirty minds).. Its almost like a toggle switch.

If you Still cant figure it out... Shut the car off, open the door, you can actually hear the electric motor engaging the brake under the car.

Neutral
    Park, lift (pull out)
    Disengage

As stated before, I'm referring to a button and not a rocker. It may very well be the electronic parking brake for an automatic tranny, but my car also has a manual parking brake, and I just don't want to fool around with it until I know exactly what it is. Here's a sketch of what the button looks like...

2013-04-27 080010.JPG

MASCAD is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS4 3.6 2013; CTS-V COUPE 2011

That looks like the button for the parking assist feature which is part of the driver assistance package. You should have another button just to the left of the steering column (right of this button)which controls the lane departure feature. Pages 9-48 onward in the manual explain the features, button locations etc.

Quote Originally Posted by flycaster View Post
    On the lower portion of the dash, to the left of the steering wheel, I have two controls. The farthest left one is for controlling instrument panel lighting. The one just to its right appears to have a P on it. It is a button. Is it the Electronic Parking Brake? Reason I ask is that on page 9-31, its instruction call for "lifting" the button. This ahs thrown me off as I can't see the this button can be lifted. I needs to be pressed???
    lol well you can see why I'm confused to what you were asking... I thought you didn't know how to operate the electric ebrake! haha!

that symbol you drew (wich helps because now we know what button you mean) is.. that looks like the sonar parking symbol.. thanks for drawing it though, I was confused how hard the ebrake was to operate lol

OK guys, I got the answer. I knew I had seen the symbol before in the manual, but just couldn't find it again. But as I leafed through the manual's pages for the fiftieth time, I found it. It is used to turn on/off the Assistance Systems for Parking or Backing (9-51), and its operation (and symbol) is found on 9-54. Really don't understand why it is there as who would want to turn off this excellent safety feature.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.