Tampered power - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Tampered power in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Get a tune. Select the Sport mode and you're done. You'll never drive in Touring mode again. I have not ...
    FDNY-L107 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Auto RWD

Re: Tampered power

Get a tune. Select the Sport mode and you're done. You'll never drive in Touring mode again. I have not had it on a dyno, but the difference is dramatic. Power pulls through 6000 rpms.

JoeyCts is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cts
    I got the email from Bad News Racing with my tune just waiting for the cable .. Ill keep you updated cause I'm a hard critic .. Won't be putting it on a dyno ... ill be judging with good all fashion dropping the pedal to the floor .. Lol

bungee91 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Opulent ATS 2.0T Premium Manual
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesul View Post
    That drop-off in power after 5500rpm was very evident during my dyno runs. Both stock and tuned, the graph headed down after reaching this point. It appears that to keep boosting a turbo upgrade will be needed. Pfadt has several upgrades being released in a few weeks that should really help. Stay tuned.
    BNR reported that this was also due to a glitch with the tuned vehicles with a manual transmission and supposedly they've fixed that now. So here's hoping it's much better with a proper tune. I'll be loading mine up this afternoon =).

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

Our Borg Warner EFR turbo upgrade along with the Trifecta tune is the answer....lots of power in these things!
    RX Performance Products/RevXtreme.com 941-721-1826

Groomie is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadllac ATS Performance 2.0 T Black Raven

Those guys at bnr are the real deal and they will take care of you. No need to Dyno. Just order the tune. I have.

So I finally loaded my tune on my car ... I had a minor Hiccup installing it ... YOUR CAR MUST be in SERVICE MODE when loading the tune NOT ACCESSORY mode ... ( or what ever it call when the radio stay on) VERY IMPORTANT . If you flash your car in accessory mode only a partial flash will install and your car will not start !! Scared the shit out of me .. I Contact Jerry from BNR ... He ran me threw what I did wrong .. Guys are great a BNR !!.. So my opinion of the tune is amazing ... I really! got on the car!! Changes the whole dynamics of the car no joke ..
    You can fell the hp increase in sport mode without a doubt ... My question is in the long run does this put extra STRESS on your engine? It almost doesn't seem right how you can gain so much more power out of the engine .. The tune also slightly change the drive in tour mode ... Car idle louder ...

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

These engines are build very, very well, I wouldn't worry about it, as long as you're not driving like mad max every second of the commute you know? like I Said before with cobalts, guys with 2.0T's have 350-400HP on stock internals track there cars and have no select-a-tune, so they're always on full power, and those cars have well over 70K miles on them with no real issues, you're fine man GM just builds these engines with huge buffer zones, you'll start getting questioning engine integrity when you slap bigger turbo's on and pushing 400-500hp lol, but with just a tune, dont worry about it.

Siren05 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T RWD. 2011 STI Hatchback.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyCts View Post
    So I finally loaded my tune on my car ... I had a minor Hiccup installing it ... YOUR CAR MUST be in SERVICE MODE when loading the tune NOT ACCESSORY mode ... ( or what ever it call when the radio stay on) VERY IMPORTANT . If you flash your car in accessory mode only a partial flash will install and your car will not start !! Scared the shit out of me .. I Contact Jerry from BNR ... He ran me threw what I did wrong .. Guys are great a BNR !!.. So my opinion of the tune is amazing ... I really! got on the car!! Changes the whole dynamics of the car no joke ..
    You can fell the hp increase in sport mode without a doubt ... My question is in the long run does this put extra STRESS on your engine? It almost doesn't seem right how you can gain so much more power out of the engine .. The tune also slightly change the drive in tour mode ... Car idle louder ...
    More power more stress! Heat/stress . Just datalog regularly change your oil more frequently. Good synthetic.
    As Dino oil degrades under high temps. My question is how long until the cats get blown out the exhaust?

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

You can fell the hp increase in sport mode without a doubt ... My question is in the long run does this put extra STRESS on your engine?
    Long run, short run, any run it puts extra stress on the engine and everything downstream from it. Same goes for pressing the go peddal harder with no tune. No way to know for sure how much it shortens the life of components. With any luck nothing will break while you have it and it will just reduce the value of the car when you sell it (unless you lie about the tune). If the tune is a good one, its probably well worth the cost and risk.

But there are bad tunes in the world and people with them often don't find out until its too late, even from very good sources. Several new Mustang owners had to buy new 5.0 engines because more than one industry leading tuner misunderstood a change Ford made in how their maps worked. That misunderstanding eventually resulted in cylinder 8 piston failures and $8k repair bills for the unlucky customers. I don't know about Trifecta/BNR but most tuners do NOT warranty anything that happens as a result of using the tune.

While reviewing tunes is very valuable for others (thanks for yours), it might cause owners a warranty problem down the road. The manufacturers have people monitoring the forums. They do some really great things by helping owners with service or dealer problems. But most assistance requires you to provide identifying information such as VIN, dealer, purchase date, etc.. And when a manufacturer decides a particular behavior is bad for their business, they have been known to use that information against the customer. That has included knowledge of tunes being used. I beleive BNR advertises that the tune can be removed with no sign it had been there. And I think its wrong to hide the use of a tune if it causes a failure but I also have seen manufacturers use knowledge of a tune as a basis to cancel warranties and deny repairs that were not caused by a tune (or other mod). Being able to remove any trace of a tune is pointless if the owner has talked about their tune in a forum where they have ever posted any identifying information.

mikesul is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T manual Thunder Gray

I agree with H-D. It's a buyer be aware of what your doing, and there is always the chance of voiding your warranty. Having said that, a lot of people will still get a tune because the lure of more power. That's human nature, to want more.

Not my Ats but a friend of mines ... Haha.. Guys don't scare me... I was already skeptical about tuning ... When taking it to the dealer .. When should I flash it back to stock ?? Meaning what services would they do to make them check for a tune .... ( and on a side note we are talking about a lease) Once flash back to stock could they ever tell...? Thanks for feedback you guys been a lot of help ...

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Not my Ats but a friend of mines ... Haha.. Guys don't scare me... I was already skeptical about tuning ... When taking it to the dealer .. When should I flash it back to stock ?? Meaning what services would they do to make them check for a tune .... ( and on a side note we are talking about a lease) Once flash back to stock could they ever tell...? Thanks for feedback you guys been a lot of help ...
    Yeah, you got the idea A friend of mine say he's going to remove it anytime he takes it in. Not to hide it but to keep it from getting overwritten or interfering with any updates they decide to do with your car. He heard of cases where a dealer (not Cadillac) wasted time and wasn't happy about it (time is money) because a tune interefered with some diagnostic procedure they were doing.

wongluk is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T 6spd

I am pretty sure if GM wants to see whether the ECU has been tempered with, they can do it. or see how many times its has been overwritten or so forth...

If you tune, they have grounds to void the warranty. It is a risk you take to get more "fun" out of the car. It is like you flashing a custom/jail break firmware to your phone and you accept the risk of bricking it.

bravnik is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T Premium, Raven/Murano, Sunroof, CAP

The problem has to be a direct result of a tune. They can't just blanket void your warranty. If your AC goes out they can't blame the tune. Now if you blow up your motor then yes, they will blame the tune. So I would not worry too much. As long as the tune is tested and your AFR's are good, you're not over boosting and there is no detonation you will be fine.

So I install my friends car back to stock today just to see the difference .. Cause the way the car was behaving was insane ( insanely fast ) .. so In conclusion it is like your not even driving the same car ... Insanely slower ... With the tune installed the car in sport mode shifts very hard.. I hope I'm not beating a dead horse but it seems just stressful to me on the engine... I did data log and express my concerns so will see what response I get back ...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.