Moldy AC - opinions please
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Moldy AC - opinions please in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Hi, I just purchased my first Cadillac in January. Really love the ATS. After about a month my air conditioning ...
    JulieB is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Moldy AC - opinions please

Hi, I just purchased my first Cadillac in January. Really love the ATS. After about a month my air conditioning started to smell of mold. I have had it in and out of service and made many phone calls to the dealership. They are minimizing the problem telling me there is mold everywhere, even in your home. Which there is, but if you can smell it, there is an abundance of it and therefore a problem. The service manager told me he drove the same car and he noticed a smell too. I did not smell anything in the two loaners I drove. Also, today the service manager told me that GM has a problem with their air conditioning smelling of mold. I don't buy that, and I don't think GM would really like him telling customers that. Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Hoosier Daddy is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Re: Moldy AC - opinions please

Quote Originally Posted by JulieB View Post
    Hi, I just purchased my first Cadillac in January. Really love the ATS. After about a month my air conditioning started to smell of mold. I have had it in and out of service and made many phone calls to the dealership. They are minimizing the problem telling me there is mold everywhere, even in your home. Which there is, but if you can smell it, there is an abundance of it and therefore a problem. The service manager told me he drove the same car and he noticed a smell too. I did not smell anything in the two loaners I drove. Also, today the service manager told me that GM has a problem with their air conditioning smelling of mold. I don't buy that, and I don't think GM would really like him telling customers that. Any thoughts?
    It's impossible to say based just on a forum post if there is something wrong with the car but it certainly sounds like there is.

It sounds like you may have a dealer problem. There are good dealers and bad dealers and good dealers having a bad day. Fortunately Cadillac assigns support people to these forums to help in these situations.

Here is a link in these forums to send them a private message: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=105125

JulieB is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thanks Hoosier, there is a lot more to the story, that was the short version. I don't feel they have been honest since the beginning of the problem. They said is was the drain, but then I would have had water in the cabin and there was not, they have installed an after blow but it still smells, the mold is already in the system. Now they want to spray something else in it on Thursday but they are calling it a temporary fix. I don't think I should have to live with this smell in a new car as they are trying to convince me it's ok.

cullama213 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 Turbo

Is it moldy all the time? Or just when it first starts?

My AC smells funky when it first starts, but then is normal about five seconds later.

pever is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium with Driver Assist & Adv Security
    The condensate drains to the outside. If that line is blocked, be it by dirt or insects, etc., then you get problems of a primordial soup developing... Perhaps even at risk of humidifier fever type problems. If you have a frail immune system this is especially "not good". Get a good dealer to check the system.

ATS_maxblack is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Black ATS 2.0T

I am also noticing a mold stink when I first start the car. I have tried some tests by turning the ac off before shutting the car off and it reduces or eliminates the smell when I get back in. This result tells me that there might be an issue with the system condensation or moisture left over after shutdown.

Bertha D Blues is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

First, I don't have a problem with mold in my ATS. If you suspect that you do, the only way to be certain that it's mold is to test for it. You can get mold test kits at the home center and you'll need two of them. You want to test the air inside the car, but also, the ambiant air outside. Compare the results of the two tests. If the mold level is higher inside the car then it should be sanitized. If the inside and outside mold levels are the same (there's mold everywhere), then something else is causing the smell. About 10 years ago I had mold in my truck, which I eliminated with a product called Frigifresh. I sprayed it directly into the plenum intake under the dash. I still have that truck but mold never returned. Bert

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Bertha D Blues View Post
    First, I don't have a problem with mold in my ATS. If you suspect that you do, the only way to be certain that it's mold is to test for it. You can get mold test kits at the home center and you'll need two of them. You want to test the air inside the car, but also, the ambiant air outside. Compare the results of the two tests. If the mold level is higher inside the car then it should be sanitized. If the inside and outside mold levels are the same (there's mold everywhere), then something else is causing the smell. About 10 years ago I had mold in my truck, which I eliminated with a product called Frigifresh. I sprayed it directly into the plenum intake under the dash. I still have that truck but mold never returned. Bert
    Hello Bertha D Blues,

Thanks for sharing this knowledge on the forum. I am sure the other members appreciate your insight on the mold issue and what you did you solve it!

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

Quote Originally Posted by ATS_maxblack View Post
    I am also noticing a mold stink when I first start the car. I have tried some tests by turning the ac off before shutting the car off and it reduces or eliminates the smell when I get back in. This result tells me that there might be an issue with the system condensation or moisture left over after shutdown.
    Hello ATS_maxblack,

I am sorry you are also experiencing a mold smell when you start your vehicle. Bertha D Blues did offer some good insight on getting a mold test kit with following procedures. Please reach out to us if you would like to discuss any concerns or issues.

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

GL13ATS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I am also having the funky smell on start up from the air conditioning. It clears up after 10 seconds or so, but I agree we should not be having this issue from brand new cars. Please keep us posted on what you find out from the dealers.

cdp
    cdp is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6 Premium. Opulent Blue
    I have the musty smell upon start up as well. Goes away after a few seconds. Will ask dealer to look into it at my next service.

NoVA_ATS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

Mine started doing it too after a bad storm. History with other GM's (2010 Buick Lacrosse, 2006 Impala, etc.) tells me its the Cabin Air filter and it needs to be replaced. I ordered one from RockAuto and will swap out as soon as it arrives. When I have results (hopefully next week), I will post.

Quote Originally Posted by NoVA_ATS View Post
    Mine started doing it too after a bad storm. History with other GM's (2010 Buick Lacrosse, 2006 Impala, etc.) tells me its the Cabin Air filter and it needs to be replaced. I ordered one from RockAuto and will swap out as soon as it arrives. When I have results (hopefully next week), I will post.
    Hello NoVA_ATS,

I apologize for any trouble you have been having with your vehicle and its moldy air conditioning. I see you have ordered a part to switch out the cabin air filter. I will be sure to look out for your update on the situation. If you would like to further discuss any concern or if you have questions, don't hesitate to reach out to us via private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

bluecrayon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None
    Same issue here....recently noticed it with hot weather. Parking after using a/c then upon startup, smells funny then goes away after 10 seconds.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.