Moldy AC - opinions please - Page 9
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Moldy AC - opinions please in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Originally Posted by Bertha D Blues Ticket states they repositioned drain tube and coated evaperator coil with cooling coil coating ...
    flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

Re: Moldy AC - opinions please

Quote Originally Posted by Bertha D Blues View Post
    Ticket states they repositioned drain tube and coated evaperator coil with cooling coil coating per PI1160A.

Does the service receipt note how long the repair took? I’m curious whether they removed your dash or dropped the trans or some other invasive tactic. Mine is going in soon for a recall and this is on my list. Bert
    Mine was fixed by Ed Morse in Delray, FL. As far as I know this was the dealership that came up with a fix that GM adopted. The fix did not entail removing the dash. They had to lower the tranny and exhaust. Since the fix, about many months ago, no problems with smell even though here in SoFL the A/C is used all the time.

JSATS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0 premium

I'm having the same problem with my 14 ATS. The smell is disgusting and it's embarrassing to have anybody ride in our car. My wife has had a cough for about a Month now and she feels like she has a chest cold. We are now thinking she is suffering from some kind of mold in her lungs. We brought it to our dealer last week and they said there was mold in the system so they deodorized it and sprayed some stuff. We drove the car the next day and it still was disgusting. We have been driving with the windows open hoping the smell will go away. We are bringing the car back this morning hoping they will clean it out better. Maybe it will take some time for the system to clear out and the smell to go away? Either way I'm not going to use air freshener or anything else to mask the smell, I want the mold gone!

flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

Quote Originally Posted by JSATS View Post
    I'm having the same problem with my 14 ATS. The smell is disgusting and it's embarrassing to have anybody ride in our car. My wife has had a cough for about a Month now and she feels like she has a chest cold. We are now thinking she is suffering from some kind of mold in her lungs. We brought it to our dealer last week and they said there was mold in the system so they deodorized it and sprayed some stuff. We drove the car the next day and it still was disgusting. We have been driving with the windows open hoping the smell will go away. We are bringing the car back this morning hoping they will clean it out better. Maybe it will take some time for the system to clear out and the smell to go away? Either way I'm not going to use air freshener or anything else to mask the smell, I want the mold gone!
    As you can see from previous posts (search the forum), this was/is a problem with the 2013 ATSs. However, you will also see that there is a fix (reposition the drain tube) that GM has adopted. Don't know if this applies to the 2014s, but you should let your dealership know about it and see what they say.

nyinstaller is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Ats 2.0l T

my car has been into the dealer for every (FIX) Or not so fixed attempts. My car still stinks and not only that the adapted After blower feature is annoying. when I turn my ac off I shouldn't still feel a blower on my face as well as when the ac is off and the after blower is on that's when it smells the worst. Or shall I say if there is mold That's when It is blowing directly into the cabin air.

AS someone just posted I too have a lingering cough that doesn't seem to want to go away, can it be coincidental I drive the car everyday? that's not a question just putting it out there. Maybe if enough people are experiencing the same it holds truth. I know there is mold in my system, I smell it. does anyone know take home method of testing? as its apparent GM is not going to fix the issue. and the supposed fixes may work for others but not for me. My dealership (Robin H @coral Cadillac in pompano beach) has been great but if you are working with crap no matter what the outcome is going to be crap. Think about it. its a defective design on someones part and the Whole after blower to dry the coils isn't cutting it.

I too notice the evaporator Drain doesn't seem to drain that much. I am in south florida its 90 degrees there is no reason a puddle shouldn't form under my car. and as much as the AC can Freeze your fingers in this car Its amazing how it doesn't evaporate more.

time to buy a test kit lets see if this works

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mold-Armo...specifications

SOMETHING IS BLOCKING IT. time to put it on my lift and see what I see.

GM CUSTOMER CARE monitoring this thread. IS there any way to remove the after blower nonsense now that it has been activated? IT DOES NOT WORK AND IS Annoying. Can the addition be reversed If you can get me a BCM update TIS code I can do it my self. I want that feature removed. Yes I have tis access and a MDI.

GJB
    GJB is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium

nyinstaller, The after blow feature they activated turns the blow motor on about 30 min after you shut the car off under specific conditions and runs for 30 SEC at about 70% speed than it repeats it a couple of times over the next hour.

That is not the only times it comes on. I have opened my door and sat in it without starting the car and after it sat all night and all of a sudden the blower will come on. So I think the programing is Not quite what it seems. either way it doesn't work as the mold smell is still apparent. and id like the bcm code to set it back. as well as I have one of those Air fresheners with the little fan on it. and you can watch this thing steadily move minutes after the ac has been turned off while I continue to drive with the windows up. so something is pushing air through it to make it move and Im not blowing on it. If I remove from the vent it stops moving almost instantly there for the blower is still active. at a low speed but active.

GJB

Sounds like something is not working correctly, It did not fix the brief musty odor on my car either. They supposedly repositioned my drain tube and put a coating on the coil. It's better now although not great. Sometimes I get the moldy odor and sometimes I don't?

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by nyinstaller View Post
    my car has been into the dealer for every (FIX) Or not so fixed attempts. My car still stinks and not only that the adapted After blower feature is annoying. when I turn my ac off I shouldn't still feel a blower on my face as well as when the ac is off and the after blower is on that's when it smells the worst. Or shall I say if there is mold That's when It is blowing directly into the cabin air.

AS someone just posted I too have a lingering cough that doesn't seem to want to go away, can it be coincidental I drive the car everyday? that's not a question just putting it out there. Maybe if enough people are experiencing the same it holds truth. I know there is mold in my system, I smell it. does anyone know take home method of testing? as its apparent GM is not going to fix the issue. and the supposed fixes may work for others but not for me. My dealership (Robin H @coral Cadillac in pompano beach) has been great but if you are working with crap no matter what the outcome is going to be crap. Think about it. its a defective design on someones part and the Whole after blower to dry the coils isn't cutting it.

I too notice the evaporator Drain doesn't seem to drain that much. I am in south florida its 90 degrees there is no reason a puddle shouldn't form under my car. and as much as the AC can Freeze your fingers in this car Its amazing how it doesn't evaporate more.

time to buy a test kit lets see if this works

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mold-Armo...specifications

SOMETHING IS BLOCKING IT. time to put it on my lift and see what I see.

GM CUSTOMER CARE monitoring this thread. IS there any way to remove the after blower nonsense now that it has been activated? IT DOES NOT WORK AND IS Annoying. Can the addition be reversed If you can get me a BCM update TIS code I can do it my self. I want that feature removed. Yes I have tis access and a MDI.
    Hello nyinstaller,

I understand the concerns you have related to your health. Your safety is our first priority and I apologize you are experiencing this. As I am not a technician, I am unable to provide technical advice but I would be happy to contact your dealership on your behalf. Please private message me with more information regarding this concern. Please include your contact information, VIN, mileage and preferred dealership. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Katie O.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Bertha D Blues is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

nyinstaller, If you go the test-kit route you should get 2 kits. Mold is everywhere, inside and out but it’s the concentration of mold spores that can affect you. Use one kit to sample the air in your car. Use the second kit to sample the ambient air near where you park for long periods. You should compare the results between the two samples to see if there is a higher in-car concentration. My car is in the shop now to, hopefully, fix my problem. Bert

I don't really think there is a link. Could there be sure I'm in the car enough I was just posting because it was coincidental someone else said the samething.

If it gets worse ill be going to dealer again and this time they will have to replace coil as there is nothing else left. However do I want them to pull the dash, not so much. So we'll see. I don't have the patience to do the whole mold test.

tahawk69 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0t awd premium

I was wondering why the ac stunk so bad and it is a moldy smell. I for sure will not use the ac anymore when my 8 month old daughter is in the car. It can't be good for her little lungs. Hopefully gm will do the right thing and provide a correct fix for this issue especially if this could be a potential health hazard.

khs604 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.5 Luxury

Can someone tell me which side of the car the condensation is supposed to drain out. I run my car in auto mode a lot but never see any water on the ground. I had the after blow feature activated and the dealer got rid of the moldy smell. Seems to be working so far.

GJB

Drivers side around the fire wall.

off1c3r is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0T Performance AWD

Does anyone have a TSB or any related information regarding how to fix this with the 2014's? My dealer won't do anything without a TSB. I'm going to have to leave the car overnight and hope they realize and see whats going on. Even then, they have no TSB to go off of since the existing one was only for 2013s..

ikireland is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T AWD
    Im sure it's posted many times in this thread

#99-01-39-004E: Air Conditioning Odor (Install Evaporator Core Dryer Kit and Apply Cooling Coil Coating) - (Feb 10, 2014)

Only one I can find

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.