Moldy AC - opinions please - Page 7
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Moldy AC - opinions please in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Originally Posted by ATSAZ I can attest to GM having this problem across many platforms... I've had the moldy smell ...
    Maxplot is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium ATS 3.6 - Crystal Red, 2013 SRX Platinum Ice

Re: Moldy AC - opinions please

Quote Originally Posted by ATSAZ View Post
    I can attest to GM having this problem across many platforms... I've had the moldy smell in Buick's, Chevy's, GMC's, and now this 13 ATS.. Won't go into any rant about why they haven't successfully addressed this "common" issue... Disappointing? Absolutely. Frustrating? Absolutely. Weird how my girl's Infinity and MINI don't have moldy smells... So we know you can have an A/C system that doesn't smell...
    My previous 3 cars were Infiniti's and all three had this smell. My solution was to turn the A/C off about 2 blocks from home so that the condensation would not continue to develop after I shut the car off. All cars I have ever owned have this problem. I actually think my ATS is the best of the bunch because I don't turn the A/C off at all and the smell is not as bad as my previous Infiniti's.

muskyfins is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX

Quote Originally Posted by DEVGRU View Post
    Ladies and gentlemen, I have found the ultimate fix to our smelly AC problem.

First, if you are somewhat mechanically inclined this is doable. Please note that I have taken my ATS to the dealer twice. Once for the AC fan update, once for the spray on the evaporator. (Either didn't fix the issue)

You will need a floor jack and or ramps to elevate your car. Also, go to your local Subaru dealership and ask for the evaporator foam and vent cleaner Part # SOA868V9315 $19.44 after tax here in Texas.
    I used ramps to make life a little easier. Pull your car up on to the ramps or use the floor jack to elevate your car. REMEMBER TO SET THE PARKING BRAKE OR USE JACK STANDS FOR MORE SUPPORT.
    Crawl underneath the driver side towards the transmission. Look around for a bit. You will see a large panel that is carpeted and a thin piece of aluminum underneath.
    Remove the carpeted panel, I think there was close to 10 nuts and or bolts to remove.
    Also, remove the thin piece of aluminum to expose the color of your car. My car is silver so I could see the silver paint they used to paint the undercarriage of the car.

The piece of aluminum will be a pain to get off be patient and wiggle it out of there. I just used tin snips and cut it out of the way.
    After you have everything off you will see a cable on the drivers side of the transmission. That is the gear shift cable to put your car in drive or neutral etc.
    Look between the cable and the body of the car mind you the ac drain tube is a ways up there. HORRIBLE DESIGN BY THE WAY FOR CADILLAC.
    Use a flashlight to look up about a foot above the base of the transmission. TRUST ME IT IS THERE.
    After locating the drain tube take a 12" 5/8's drive extension and tape the supplied tube that came with the cleaner purchased at Subaru. I used black electrical tape.
    Place the wedge type nozzle into the end of your drain tube. Press the button on the aerosol can until about a quarter of the can has sprayed into the system.

Hold the wedge type nozzle in there for about 20 seconds so so none of the foam comes out.
    After about twenty seconds or so remove the wedge type nozzle from your ac drain tube. WATCH OUT BECAUSE THAT FOAM COMES OUT IN A HURRY.
    Start your car with ac fan on low. Turn the ac on so the system starts to sweat and removes most of the foam.
    Careful not to have the ac fan on high as it will blow the foam out of the vents.
    Repeat the process until all of the foam is gone from the can. I think I did it about four or five times just so I didn't fill the evaporator box too full of foam.
    After using the entire can of foam and most of the foam has been removed from the system from condensation by the ac evaporator continue to let the ac run continuously changing the modes feet, face, defrost, feet-face.

After letting the car run for awhile (20 Minutes) all of the foam should be removed.
    Next you want to pop the hood.
    Place ac on recirculate in the highest fan speed.
    Go to the passenger side of the car look at the base of the windshield and you will see a black plastic grate.
    Spray the entire contents of the small aerosol can that came with the foam from the Subaru dealership.

Let the ac run on recirculate for about 20 more minutes. If you can stand the smell change the different modes once again to kill any remaining bacteria in the entire system ( feet, face, defrost, feet-face).
    After you have completed both of those steps it is totally up to you to place the thin aluminum back under the car along with the carpeted panel.
    I left mine off because it hinders the ac to drain the water properly thus creating a drain issue in return creating mold.
    If you choose to re-install the panels I can't guarantee the smell will go away.
    Either way let the car run for about 30 minutes or more to continue to run fresh water through the evaporator box.

All of this is information is based on my experience and end user should use caution. My ability to perform such tasks might be a little better than yours, but I think it is pretty straight forward.
    If I wouldn't have been so pissed off yesterday while doing this I would have provided pictures. It's a shame I spent $44,000 on a car that the dealer can't fix properly.
    This solution to the smelly ac problem is a guaranteed fix if you follow my simple steps. Also sorry I used a lot of sentences and it doesn't look fancy with italics and maybe a few spelling errors but you get the point as I am in a hurry.

Thanks,

DEVGRU
    Does anybody know this procedure for the 2nd Gen SRX? The odor in mine is so obnoxious, I'm thinking of trading it in.

flycaster is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

I'm really not sure why folks are still having problems with the A/C smell as there is a known Cadillac fix. The drain pipe has to be lowered a bit, and they will set the blower to come on automatically (to discharge any moisture from the vents and vent tubing) for a minute or so after the car has been parked. It is my understanding that the folks at Ed Morse Caddy, Delray, FL, came up with the fix an Caddy has adopted it...Ed Morse did it for me over 6 months ago and no more smell.

muskyfins is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX

@flycaster. Believe me, I'm still having problems. I am willing to just do it my self like DEVGRU did because the dealer wants to replace my heater core at the tune of $1600 on a 3 year old car! (Which I don't think will solve the problem.) My question is how much different the procedure would be for an SRX versus the ATS? I'm more than a little technical so as soon as i get a chance, I'll crawl under there and take a look I suppose.

DiabloMike is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by flycaster View Post
    I'm really not sure why folks are still having problems with the A/C smell as there is a known Cadillac fix. The drain pipe has to be lowered a bit, and they will set the blower to come on automatically (to discharge any moisture from the vents and vent tubing) for a minute or so after the car has been parked. It is my understanding that the folks at Ed Morse Caddy, Delray, FL, came up with the fix an Caddy has adopted it...Ed Morse did it for me over 6 months ago and no more smell.
    I know of 2 local cars that have had this 'fix' performed, one at Ed Morse, and both still have the issue.
    Mike Litsch
    DiabloSport Inc.
    Diablosport.com

Quote Originally Posted by DiabloMike View Post
    I know of 2 local cars that have had this 'fix' performed, one at Ed Morse, and both still have the issue.
    Well, I guess I'm one of the lucky few who have successfully had the A/C smell issue solved. With a hot, humid, summer coming upon us here in SoFL, I hope I didn't just jinx myself.

GJB
    GJB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium

Just picked up my car and service ticket states "Turn on after blow feature to dry evaporator core". Asked the SA to explain he went and asked the shop Forman who said its programing they do and it has the fan blow for 40 min after the car is shut off. I asked about battery drain and was told fan draws very little so no worries. Came home shut the car off but heard no fan so its Elmer Fud "vewwy vewwy quite" or not running.

Do any of you buy this answer because I'm skeptical to say the least.

ikireland is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T AWD
    Quote Originally Posted by GJB
    Just picked up my car and service ticket states "Turn on after blow feature to dry evaporator core". Asked the SA to explain he went and asked the shop Forman who said its programing they do and it has the fan blow for 40 min after the car is shut off. I asked about battery drain and was told fan draws very little so no worries. Came home shut the car off but heard no fan so its Elmer Fud "vewwy vewwy quite" or not running. Do any of you buy this answer because I'm skeptical to say the least.
    After blow is a real thing. Their description isn't exactly correct. Once the car is shut and meets certain conditions (ambient temp and what not) it will blow the blower for a short amount of time to clear any crap out of the system. It does not blow for 40 min after shutting the car off.

----------

Heres info from GM on the after blow feature:

"2014 Cadillac ATS | ATS VIN A Service Manual 5576614 | HVAC | Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning | Diagnostic Information and Procedures | Document ID: 2382151

Afterblow Enabling
    The afterblow mode can be enabled using the scan tool. The afterblow mode allows the blower motor to operate after the engine has been turned off. This operation of the blower motor dries the evaporator core, which reduces the amount of microbial growth which can create undesirable odors.

Use the following procedure in order to enable the afterblow mode:

Connect the Scan Tool.
    Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
    Build the vehicle with the scan tool.
    Select Module Diagnosis.
    Select Remote Heater and Air Conditioning Control Module.
    Select Configuration/Reset Functions.
    Select HVAC Afterblow Configuration.
    When afterblow has been enabled by the scan tool the blower motor will operate at 68% blower speed, following the sequence below up to 5 times. This could last up to an hour:

The blower motor will be OFF for 7–11 minutes.
    The blower motor will RUN for 25–30 seconds.
    The following conditions must be met for the HVAC module to operate the afterblow:

The engine must be turned off for at least 30 min.
    The outside air temperature must be at least 21°C (70°F).
    The A/C compressor must have operated for more than 2 minutes before shut down during the latest key cycle.
    The system voltage must be at least 12 V."

nyinstaller is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Ats 2.0l T
    Afterblow is a joke. Waste of time

GJB

Quote Originally Posted by nyinstaller View Post
    Afterblow is a joke. Waste of time
    I have not noticed an improvement but its only been a day, I don't think the issue is water remaining on the core but in the drip pan. My other cars leave a puddle of water under the car in the garage after I park. The ATS does not but when I back out my driveway which is pretty steep I can see a long trail of water draining and this is right after the car is started.

GJB

Quote Originally Posted by DiabloMike View Post
    Mike, Did they do the afterblow and the drain or just the afterblow. On my car they just did the afterblow and I still have it.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by ikireland View Post
    After blow is a real thing. Their description isn't exactly correct. Once the car is shut and meets certain conditions (ambient temp and what not) it will blow the blower for a short amount of time to clear any crap out of the system. It does not blow for 40 min after shutting the car off.

----------

Heres info from GM on the after blow feature:

"2014 Cadillac ATS | ATS VIN A Service Manual 5576614 | HVAC | Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning | Diagnostic Information and Procedures | Document ID: 2382151

Afterblow Enabling
    The afterblow mode can be enabled using the scan tool. The afterblow mode allows the blower motor to operate after the engine has been turned off. This operation of the blower motor dries the evaporator core, which reduces the amount of microbial growth which can create undesirable odors.

Use the following procedure in order to enable the afterblow mode:

Connect the Scan Tool.
    Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
    Build the vehicle with the scan tool.
    Select Module Diagnosis.
    Select Remote Heater and Air Conditioning Control Module.
    Select Configuration/Reset Functions.
    Select HVAC Afterblow Configuration.
    When afterblow has been enabled by the scan tool the blower motor will operate at 68% blower speed, following the sequence below up to 5 times. This could last up to an hour:

The blower motor will be OFF for 7–11 minutes.
    The blower motor will RUN for 25–30 seconds.
    The following conditions must be met for the HVAC module to operate the afterblow:

The engine must be turned off for at least 30 min.
    The outside air temperature must be at least 21°C (70°F).
    The A/C compressor must have operated for more than 2 minutes before shut down during the latest key cycle.
    The system voltage must be at least 12 V."

ikireland, It works as described, About 30 Min after I got home I was in the garage and heard it come on for about 30 seconds. Unfortunately I noticed no improvement from before I took it in

Erich_33406 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Red 2014 ATS Auto. RWD

It's MY OPINION, This seems to be a Universal Problem. Over at Ford they have started a Air Condition Mold smell Fix on their cars by doing the following on FORDS Only.
    Again this is for FORD's Problem.

FORD SERVICE PROCEDURE
    1. Replace the Climate Control Housing. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 412-00.
    a. Transfer the components from the old housing to the new housing as needed.
    PART NUMBER
    PART NAME
    EG9Z-19B555-C
    Climate Control Housing - Manual Air Conditioning
    EG9Z-19B555-D
    Climate Control Housing - Dual Zone Auto Temp Control
    W714878-S439
    Steering Column Shaft-To-Steering Column Pinch Bolt
    OPERATION
    DESCRIPTION
    TIME
    140099A
    2013-2014 Fusion: Replace The Climate Control Housing (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)
    6.0 Hrs.
    140099A
    2013-2014 Fusion Hybrid: Replace The Climate Control Housing (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)
    6.6 Hrs.
    140099A
    2013-2014 Fusion Hybrid Plug In: Replace The Climate Control Housing (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)
    6.8 Hrs.
    140099A
    2013-2014 MKZ: Replace The Climate Control Housing (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)
    7.4 Hrs.
    140099A
    2013-2014 MKZ Hybrid: Replace The Climate Control Housing (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)
    7.7 Hrs.

GJB

So what has changed AC in cars have been around for 5O years. This is the first car out of 15 thathas had this issue?

Bertha D Blues is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

GJB, it may take a while for the mold spores and bacteria to die with just the afterblow. I had the moldy smell last year but haven’t noticed it yet this season.

About 12-14 years ago I had the same problem with my F150. I used a product called Frigi-Clean, which is an aerosol that must be sprayed into the evaporator case to coat the whole coil. It kills bacteria, mold, etc. In my truck, I had easy access through the motor resistor opening. I haven’t looked for access in the ATS yet. The bottom line is that I still have that truck and the smell never returned. That’s with summer humidity levels here in corn country matching those in southern Florida.

One more thing, Packard was first to offer AC in their cars 74 years ago. Bert
    GJB likes this.

Must say I had the A/C smell issue, but after it was fixed (my dealer-Ed Morse, apparently came up with GM's now accepted solution-lower the drain to be level with the pan's bottom without taking the dash apart...I think the after-blow comes from GM), the smell is gone here in SoFL. Lucky me!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.