Moldy AC - opinions please - Page 6
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Moldy AC - opinions please in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I have went to the dealership and have had the drain FIX or no so much fix. more than 2 ...
    nyinstaller is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Ats 2.0l T

Re: Moldy AC - opinions please

I have went to the dealership and have had the drain FIX or no so much fix.

more than 2 months since all that was done and still have the mold smell on start up.

DiabloMike is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by nyinstaller View Post

more than 2 months since all that was done and still have the mold smell on start up.
    really?
    That sucks. Glad I didn't get it done.

Johan said his dads is still doing it too....summer is coming fast, we need non stinky A/C!
    Mike Litsch
    DiabloSport Inc.
    Diablosport.com

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by nyinstaller View Post

Hi nyinstaller,

I am sorry to hear that the fix did not correct the mold smell in your car. If you would like, I can look into the issue and contact the dealership on your behalf regarding a follow-up visit. If you can send me a PM with your VIN and contact information I can open a case for you. Hope to hear from you soon.

Austin J.
    Cadillac Customer Care
    Erich_33406 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc
    Hi nyinstaller, I am sorry to hear that the fix did not correct the mold smell in your car. If you would like, I can look into the issue and contact the dealership on your behalf regarding a follow-up visit. If you can send me a PM with your VIN and contact information I can open a case for you. Hope to hear from you soon. Austin J. Cadillac Customer Care
    Sent

rolyzglobe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

I am having the same exact issue. I have had my car for about 4 months and noticed the issue began about a month ago. When I first start the car, a vinegar like smell comes out of the A/C. I have to run the A/C for about 20 seconds for the smell to leave. The smell got so bad that I made a appointment at the dealer to have it fixed.

I have also recently been suffering from dizzyness and it also began around the same time the issue started. I hope it is not related to any mold problems. Either way, I will also be checking with my doctor.

I will let you know what my dealer tells me.
    Erich_33406 likes this.

DEVGRU is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillic ATS (Luxury)

Ladies and gentlemen, I have found the ultimate fix to our smelly AC problem.

First, if you are somewhat mechanically inclined this is doable. Please note that I have taken my ATS to the dealer twice. Once for the AC fan update, once for the spray on the evaporator. (Either didn't fix the issue)

You will need a floor jack and or ramps to elevate your car. Also, go to your local Subaru dealership and ask for the evaporator foam and vent cleaner Part # SOA868V9315 $19.44 after tax here in Texas.
    I used ramps to make life a little easier. Pull your car up on to the ramps or use the floor jack to elevate your car. REMEMBER TO SET THE PARKING BRAKE OR USE JACK STANDS FOR MORE SUPPORT.
    Crawl underneath the driver side towards the transmission. Look around for a bit. You will see a large panel that is carpeted and a thin piece of aluminum underneath.
    Remove the carpeted panel, I think there was close to 10 nuts and or bolts to remove.
    Also, remove the thin piece of aluminum to expose the color of your car. My car is silver so I could see the silver paint they used to paint the undercarriage of the car.

The piece of aluminum will be a pain to get off be patient and wiggle it out of there. I just used tin snips and cut it out of the way.
    After you have everything off you will see a cable on the drivers side of the transmission. That is the gear shift cable to put your car in drive or neutral etc.
    Look between the cable and the body of the car mind you the ac drain tube is a ways up there. HORRIBLE DESIGN BY THE WAY FOR CADILLAC.
    Use a flashlight to look up about a foot above the base of the transmission. TRUST ME IT IS THERE.
    After locating the drain tube take a 12" 5/8's drive extension and tape the supplied tube that came with the cleaner purchased at Subaru. I used black electrical tape.
    Place the wedge type nozzle into the end of your drain tube. Press the button on the aerosol can until about a quarter of the can has sprayed into the system.

Hold the wedge type nozzle in there for about 20 seconds so so none of the foam comes out.
    After about twenty seconds or so remove the wedge type nozzle from your ac drain tube. WATCH OUT BECAUSE THAT FOAM COMES OUT IN A HURRY.
    Start your car with ac fan on low. Turn the ac on so the system starts to sweat and removes most of the foam.
    Careful not to have the ac fan on high as it will blow the foam out of the vents.
    Repeat the process until all of the foam is gone from the can. I think I did it about four or five times just so I didn't fill the evaporator box too full of foam.
    After using the entire can of foam and most of the foam has been removed from the system from condensation by the ac evaporator continue to let the ac run continuously changing the modes feet, face, defrost, feet-face.

After letting the car run for awhile (20 Minutes) all of the foam should be removed.
    Next you want to pop the hood.
    Place ac on recirculate in the highest fan speed.
    Go to the passenger side of the car look at the base of the windshield and you will see a black plastic grate.
    Spray the entire contents of the small aerosol can that came with the foam from the Subaru dealership.

Let the ac run on recirculate for about 20 more minutes. If you can stand the smell change the different modes once again to kill any remaining bacteria in the entire system ( feet, face, defrost, feet-face).
    After you have completed both of those steps it is totally up to you to place the thin aluminum back under the car along with the carpeted panel.
    I left mine off because it hinders the ac to drain the water properly thus creating a drain issue in return creating mold.
    If you choose to re-install the panels I can't guarantee the smell will go away.
    Either way let the car run for about 30 minutes or more to continue to run fresh water through the evaporator box.

All of this is information is based on my experience and end user should use caution. My ability to perform such tasks might be a little better than yours, but I think it is pretty straight forward.
    If I wouldn't have been so pissed off yesterday while doing this I would have provided pictures. It's a shame I spent $44,000 on a car that the dealer can't fix properly.
    This solution to the smelly ac problem is a guaranteed fix if you follow my simple steps. Also sorry I used a lot of sentences and it doesn't look fancy with italics and maybe a few spelling errors but you get the point as I am in a hurry.

Thanks,

DEVGRU
    sqkid89 likes this.

Erich_33406 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Red 2014 ATS Auto. RWD

Hi Guys and Gals. I've just dropped in on this thread as to let you know that FORD is also having the Very same issue with some of their car models.
    I just traded my new 2013 Ford Red Fusion for the 2014 Red ATS.
    I belong to Ford Fusion Forum where they are discussing the Very same problem with NO Fix from FORD Corp. so far. But there is Hope, as a Canadian Owner is taking them to task through their Canadian Lemon Law which is different than ours. They had a Third party Investigator look at the problem and contact Ford Corp. with his findings, which he has found a Defective part in the AC system.
    Right now currently it's being researched by Ford Corp.'s team to see how best and cheaply to fix it. So far they won't even acknowledge there is a Problem. In about a month from now it will become Public Knowledge for all to see according to the Canadian Poster. It's a waiting game.

Quote Originally Posted by BriansZ View Post
    We have this same problem. The cadillac dealer set the fan to turn on after the car is off and sprayed something in the system. It was fine for a couple weeks but has returned. We like the car, but this is unacceptable. And it does go away after startup, but we shouldn't have to deal with this on a new $40k+ car. My wife recently made another appointment to get this looked at but judging from this thread I see others have the same problem.

Not only do Other GM cars have this problem, Ford also has this same problem. So something in common with all Cars and even different Manufactures.

Here is a Quote from the Ford Thread.

Mattken Moore Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:47 PM

Well I have the report and the inspector found a defect in a part and workmanship of said part that he believes causes the smell and mold growth to happen and pass into the HVAC system in the vehicle and has stated what needs to be fixed and how. And wait for it Ford engineers are currently working on a repair!!!! .Unknown to when tho but thanks to the people that contributed. So all in all I was able to get Fords attention to this matter and hopefully this will be able to be resolved for everyone else in the future. Also the case will be coming available to public through the Canadian CAMVAP organization when the case is closed in 90days time.

Maxplot is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium ATS 3.6 - Crystal Red, 2013 SRX Platinum Ice

Yep. Every car I have ever owned, I used to turn off the A/C about 2 blocks from the house so condensation would not collect. Now with my ATS, I just leave it on Auto all the time and I don't really think it is so bad on startup. I would not call it moldy. Like fresh cut grass after a spring rain.
    M5eater likes this.

DEVGRU is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillic ATS (Luxury)

Just an update to my last post about the AC fix that I recently performed on my 2013 ATS.

I haven't had any problems with the smell I previously had. It smells like a new car every time I start my car. I have noticed a big puddle of condensation under my car now that I have removed the materials covering the drip tube, so that is a great sign.

Also, if you are waiting for Cadillac to come up with a fix good luck. Sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands and come up with your own solution to the problem.

Thanks,
    DEVGRU
    Erich_33406 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DEVGRU View Post
    Just an update to my last post about the AC fix that I recently performed on my 2013 ATS.

I haven't had any problems with the smell I previously had. It smells like a new car every time I start my car. I have noticed a big puddle of condensation under my car now that I have removed the materials covering the drip tube, so that is a great sign.

Also, if you are waiting for Cadillac to come up with a fix good luck. Sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands and come up with your own solution to the problem.

Thanks,
    DEVGRU
    Very True

Maxplot is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium ATS 3.6 - Crystal Red, 2013 SRX Platinum Ice

If you don't like the smell of your A/C when you first turn it on, hit the windshield washer a couple times. Not only will it clean the windshield, you will get the sweet smell of washer fluid coming through the vents.

drlib14 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2014 Turbo AWD

Well let me join the long list, here in Hot Sunny FL I always have the AC on and I have the order also at start up

So should I go back to the dealer or just live with it
    been in for the brakes 3 times
    Bluetooth 3 times

sometimes I think I get a wiff of the smell but not really sure, was/ is it better after the second attempt? OH yes. but I too notice not much condensation under the car so I think the removal of the shield may be a good deal as it will remove a restriction that is obviously present.

as far as the foam that's a bit risky as if you clog the hole your screwed. but that doesn't mean the fix isn't something worth trying.

ATSAZ is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6 Performance

I can attest to GM having this problem across many platforms... I've had the moldy smell in Buick's, Chevy's, GMC's, and now this 13 ATS.. Won't go into any rant about why they haven't successfully addressed this "common" issue... Disappointing? Absolutely. Frustrating? Absolutely. Weird how my girl's Infinity and MINI don't have moldy smells... So we know you can have an A/C system that doesn't smell...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.