Moldy AC - opinions please - Page 5
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Moldy AC - opinions please in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Originally Posted by louie1487 I went to the dealer and they had an update for this issue. The update will ...
    off1c3r is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0T Performance AWD

Re: Moldy AC - opinions please

Quote Originally Posted by louie1487 View Post
    I went to the dealer and they had an update for this issue. The update will allow the blower motor to run after thecar has been turned off to air out the vents to prevent buildup.
    That doesn't seem like a fix to me. More like a cover.

Bryce2.0T is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T Standard

Quote Originally Posted by off1c3r View Post
    That doesn't seem like a fix to me. More like a cover.
    Nailed it....
    off1c3r likes this.

GJB
    GJB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium Build Date 12/21/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Bryce2.0T View Post
    Nailed it....
    In the IT world we just call it a work around.

redbbq is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None Yet - About to buy an ATS 3.6 AWD

Hey you moldy AC people. Here is a product that may help. It looks like its made in Germany and for professional use specifically to kill stuff that grows on the AC condenser. I don't have any experience with this but thought it may benefit some folks here. Check out the product description and reviews on Amazon. This could be a way to mitigate the problem. Please report back if this works. Good luck.

Einszett Klima Cleaner
    "A professional air conditioner cleaner that effectively removes odors caused by mold, fungus, pollen, nicotine and dust. While other products mask odors, Klima-Cleaner uses active foam to directly clean and remove odor causing agents from the evaporator core of the air conditioner system for fresh and clean air that lasts for months. Klima-Cleaner is applied by removing the blower fan and inserting the supplied spray tube through the intake vent which leads directly to the evaporator. For best results, apply every 3-6 months. Klima-Cleaner is water-based and does not contain any harsh chemicals. Recommended for professional application only. On certain vehicle makes, damage may occur if product is not applied properly. If uncertain about application, have a certified mechanic apply product or use einszett 911104 Klima-Cleaner Easy-To-Use (ETU) which doesn't require any disassembly."

http://www.amazon.com/einszett-96110.../dp/B0002Z2MKO

flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

I've had the HVAC update, but the blower doesn't run after the car is shut off. Perhaps, one has to ask for this?
    Anyway, as I've seen several utube videos (eg, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzYlp9dm7AI) from "professionals" who recommend blowing a Lysol type product into the external cabin air intake ducts, I'm thinking that although this is temporary, it does seem to work. However, before I use Lysol, I'd first like to know if Lysol will do any damage to the parts it comes in contact with? Yeah, I know this is temporary relief, but what the hell, it is an easy enough workaround.

A fix is found!

Making this a separate post. Had to speak to my dealership's GM about an insurance policy problem, and then asked him for the skinny on the stinky AC issue. He said that his dealership had found the fix, and their fix was adopted by Caddy. Although the fix was already mentioned in this thread (catmando, #46), I'd like to re-inforce it: The drain hose is inserted too far into the condensate drain pan, not allowing all the condensate to drain. The dealership will adjust the drain hose to its proper length.
    JavaGirl likes this.

JavaGirl is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

When will this be rolled out into a TSB by GM for all other dealerships?

I have no idea, but would suggest that you speak to your dealership about this fix. My dealership's GM definitely told me that Caddy was adopting his fix.

glenroebuck is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 AWD 2013

Nice I too have the EWWWW what is that smell problem when it first starts up.

General Lee 01 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T, MT, RWD, BNR TUNE, WHITE DIAMOND
    Cadillac dealerships all have a repair bulletin for this. Call them and make a service appointment and they will fix it. Had mine done this past summer. Call them and they know exactly what to do to fix it. There is no mystery to solve here.

GJB
    GJB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium Build Date 12/21/2012

Quote Originally Posted by General Lee 01 View Post
    Cadillac dealerships all have a repair bulletin for this. Call them and make a service appointment and they will fix it. Had mine done this past summer. Call them and they know exactly what to do to fix it. There is no mystery to solve here.
    I've checked the TSBs and the only one that addresses this issues has them use the spray that kills the mold/smell. Do you know the TSB #?

Quote Originally Posted by GJB View Post
    I've checked the TSBs and the only one that addresses this issues has them use the spray that kills the mold/smell. Do you know the TSB #?
    Yeah, spraying is a quick, but a very temporary and potentially harmful fix for the smell issue. I say harmful because the spraying most likely doesn't get everything (probably unless you spray weekly, a definite PITA) and eventually there will be a build up of bacteria and mold that can reach unhealthy levels. I say if you have the smell, don't wait, have faith in the tranny/exhaust fix...if you trust your dealership to do the job right.

General Lee 01 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T, MT, RWD, BNR TUNE, WHITE DIAMOND
    Quote Originally Posted by GJB
    Bulletin# 99-01-39-004D. Paperwork states "a/c drain misalignment, pulled carpet back, check the drain as per bulletin, realign drain as per bulletin, for this complaint deodorize the hvac box with part# 12377952 as per bulletin# 99-01-39-004D."

I think the hose gets fixed and then they spray to kill what has already grown in there.

cadilover96 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

I just bought my ATS in September and I noticed a moldy smell this week. Way to soon to have issues such as this.

catmando is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Luxury Package

I believe PIC5730 is the repair bulletin that addresses the drain hose. There is also a change to the logic to allow the blower to run to dry out the drain pan after the car stops. It will come on about ten minutes after the car is turned off and run for five minutes or so. These two fixes should take care of the problem in most cases. To fix the drain hose properly, the culprit should be replaced with part number 2312009, not just rearrange the original hose.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.