Moldy AC - opinions please - Page 3
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Moldy AC - opinions please in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Originally Posted by briterco We shall see. Didn't actually know the procedure was going to be this extreme. When we ...
    GJB
    GJB is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium

Re: Moldy AC - opinions please

Quote Originally Posted by briterco View Post
    We shall see. Didn't actually know the procedure was going to be this extreme. When we went there yesterday, they kept saying "you really don't want to see it".... and they might not have liked that we took a pic. The dealership has been really good so I think they'll get humpty back together. If not, we won a lemon case years ago over an XLR and aren't afraid to go down that path again if we have to.
    So did the service rep come out and tell you sorry, but we did everything we could but we lost her........

Bryce2.0T is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T Standard

Theres not much to do folks... shitty design flaw, thats all

BriansZ is offline Cadillac Owners Member

My wife's car has been in the dealership since Monday due to this. The first time in I thought it might just be a clogged drain tube, but it seems more complicated. While I agree with Bryce that it's a design flaw, hopefully Cadillac is able to come up with a solution.

Others have mentioned turning the AC compressor off and just running the fan the last few minutes eliminates the odor, so a software update could do that automatically after shutoff. Or, if water is trapped within the system maybe an additional drain will need to be added, but I'm sure once engineering is able to look at it they will get it fixed.

On the other hand, I'm glad this car is a lease. Plus we've had a 3.6 as a loaner, so it's been a good opportunity to compare this car with our 2.0T.

GJB

I know they did an HVAC update does anyone know if they updated the program for the fan to run?

BriansZ, So what do you think of your loaner 3.6?

unclemoose is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD Performance - Radiant Silver Metallic

I had the hvac update and my smell continued. My guess it's a drainage issue that needs to be fixed, the fan run on would be a short term band aid.

GJB

Agree on the short term band aid. My AC sure drains a lot of water so it's not cloged or it would drain/leak into the cabin which would really give a musty smell all the time.

unclemoose is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD Performance - Radiant Silver Metallic

Yeah, good point, if it's fully clogged it would eventually get into the ductwork or cabin. It will be interesting to see what the solution its
    GJB likes this.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by BriansZ View Post
    My wife's car has been in the dealership since Monday due to this. The first time in I thought it might just be a clogged drain tube, but it seems more complicated. While I agree with Bryce that it's a design flaw, hopefully Cadillac is able to come up with a solution.

Others have mentioned turning the AC compressor off and just running the fan the last few minutes eliminates the odor, so a software update could do that automatically after shutoff. Or, if water is trapped within the system maybe an additional drain will need to be added, but I'm sure once engineering is able to look at it they will get it fixed.

On the other hand, I'm glad this car is a lease. Plus we've had a 3.6 as a loaner, so it's been a good opportunity to compare this car with our 2.0T.
    Hello BriansZ,

I am sorry your wife's vehicle has been at the dealership for a few days trying to resolve the moldy AC concern. Please keep us posted on the outcome after you hear from the dealer. If you would like to further discuss your current situation with us or ever have additional concerns or questions, don't hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

JavaGirl is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I don't see how it could be liquid pooling up. If it were, it does not seem that a fan blast for a minute would eliminate it. It seems to me to be just a thin mist of AC condensation that must not be allowed to remain in the duct work. It seems to me that the fan blowing it out removes the mist and does not let the condensation remain on the surface for a long time after turning the car off. Of course I am speculating on what seems logical based on how my car behaves, and really I don't know too much about cars.

So, for those of you who do know a lot about cars, can you explain how other cars are designed to keep this from happening?

Thank you.

briterco is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX, 2013 ATS

Quote Originally Posted by GJB View Post
    So did the service rep come out and tell you sorry, but we did everything we could but we lost her........
    Well...we are still waiting on the final outcome. As far as we know, she's still on life support. Tomorrow will be day 18 in the shop. That plus the first time in makes for a total of 20 days. Ohio's lemon law is a total of 30 days in the shop within a 1 year period qualifies to make a claim. We've not heard anything from the dealership on expected completion. They've lent us a sweet XTS in the meantime. We are just letting the days tick away at this point....

GJB

Wow I figured you were back in the ATS and chillin..Keep the meter running and you have options while you enjoy the XTS, what's not to like.

Bryce2.0T is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T Standard

Sadly, I'm not shocked to hear this. What are they expecting to do? Re design the entire HVAC system? I doubt it. This, as well as the wide spread of AM/FM complaints are 2 things GM is ignoring and not willing to take action upon. I don't care what type of solution the "high speed fan" could fix before the vehicle is turned off. These are 40k+ luxury sports cars. Sorry but using that as a band-aid just won't cut it for me.

bluecrayon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None
    I asked about this several weeks ago as well...I was told "it's normal due to an additive put in the system and will go away eventually". Even though I said I'd wait a few months and address it at my first oil change, I'm not convinced it'll go away. I plan on having it checked out when it's in for an oil change in a couple months.

catmando is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Luxury Package

I have asked people from the Cadillac engineering team and the answer I got is this: they are aware of the problem - it is condensation from the ac evaporator core not draining properly and pooling in the evaporator case. Cadillac is working on the appropriate fix and will issue it to dealers once it is finalized.

GJB

Quote Originally Posted by bluecrayon View Post
    I asked about this several weeks ago as well...I was told "it's normal due to an additive put in the system and will go away eventually". Even though I said I'd wait a few months and address it at my first oil change, I'm not convinced it'll go away. I plan on having it checked out when it's in for an oil change in a couple months.
    Really??? I would call them on that one, a sealed system that has an additive that smells moldy/musty. That up there with me being told FM HD radio is satellite. catmando got it right.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.