run flat tire replacement
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, run flat tire replacement in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Looking at buying a luxury ads, but I am leery of the run flats. Question: When I am ready for ...
    myronf is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 turbo black/black

run flat tire replacement

Looking at buying a luxury ads, but I am leery of the run flats.

Question: When I am ready for new tires, can I put regular tires on? I assume the wheels and tps's are the same for either type of tire?

Thanks
    Myron

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

zr1mom is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS Prem 2.0T AWD Black Raven Red

Re: run flat tire replacement

You can put regular tires on the tps should work but note you will not have a spare if you get a flat.

mikesul is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T manual Thunder Gray

Make sure you match the TPS's to the same location they were, RF, LF, etc. Then you won't have to resync them.

good advise. By the way, does that mean that you can't rotate without synching?

Bertha D Blues is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T AWD, '13 SRX AWD Performance

Quote Originally Posted by myronf View Post
    good advise. By the way, does that mean that you can't rotate without synching?
    If your dealer rotates tires for you they will resync the TPS's. If you rotate them you'll need to resync yourself or have a shop with the sync tool do it for you. Bert

bungee91 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Opulent ATS 2.0T Premium Manual
    My dealer reprograms my TPMS sensors for me for free when switching between my winter and stock wheel sets. They both are complete sets with sensors installed. I swap them myself and then just bring it in. They said they'd do this at anytime needed, free of charge.

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by Bertha D Blues View Post
    If you rotate them you'll need to resync yourself
    Where can I find the procedure?

SLA
    SLA is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T 6MT, 05 LGT, 97 M3

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    Where can I find the procedure?
    It's very easy. On your steering wheel d-pad you just press up up down down left right left right engine start.

reciprocity is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2009 CTS Premium (RWD w/3.6DI & FE2)

Cute, SLA!

From page 10-55 of the manual:

1. Set the parking brake.
    2. Place the vehicle power mode in ON/RUN/START.
    3. Make sure the Tire Pressure info display option is turned on. The info displays on the DIC can be turned on and off through the Settings menu.
    4. Use the five-way DIC control on the right side of the steering wheel to scroll to the Tire Pressure screen under the DIC info page.
    5. Press and hold the SEL button located in the center of the five-way DIC control. The horn sounds twice to signal the receiver is in relearn mode and the TIRE LEARNING ACTIVE message displays on the DIC screen.
    6. Start with the driver side front tire.
    7. Place the relearn tool against the tire sidewall, near the valve stem. Then press the button to activate the TPMS sensor. A horn chirp confirms that the sensor identification code has been matched to this tire and wheel position.
    8. Proceed to the passenger side front tire, and repeat the procedure in Step 7.
    9. Proceed to the passenger side rear tire, and repeat the procedure in Step 7.
    10. Proceed to the driver side rear tire, and repeat the procedure in Step 7. The horn sounds two times to indicate the sensor identification code has been matched to the driver side rear tire, and the TPMS sensor matching process is no longer active. The TIRE LEARNING ACTIVE message on the DIC display screen goes off.
    11. Press STOP to turn the ignition off.
    12. Set all four tires to the recommended air pressure level as indicated on the Tire and Loading Information label.

Others may be able to chime in to confirm whether letting air out of the tires in this sequence allows you to accomplish this without an expensive relearn tool like past Cadillacs allow. It's interesting that nothing is mentioned about this in the manual if it's still possible.

IBMike is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Black Diamond Coupe

Why are you leery of run flats?

Made me think of all the people who swore they could brake better than ABS and would never buy a car with it.

Hard riding, noisy, short life, and if you get a flat there is a good chance that you will be replacing the tire or tires. If you need a tire you may be out of business for 3 days while it is being shipped.

IBMike is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Black Diamond Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by myronf View Post
    Hard riding, noisy, short life, and if you get a flat there is a good chance that you will be replacing the tire or tires. If you need a tire you may be out of business for 3 days while it is being shipped.
    well when you put it that way...

Once you get the car, I'd offer up the wheels here in the classified section; maybe you could get someone to take them off your hands for a decent price. Once you get a buyer you could put new ones on and send off the old ones and be happier sooner. If they don't sell, then just let it ride.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.