horrible FM reception? - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, horrible FM reception? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Originally Posted by gfxbt What's FM? Is that kind of like an 8-track? Just kidding. Sorry to hear the FM ...
    jph
    jph is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6 RWD premium

Re: horrible FM reception?

Quote Originally Posted by gfxbt View Post
    What's FM? Is that kind of like an 8-track? Just kidding. Sorry to hear the FM reception is no good. Use XM. They're willing to wheel and deal on the price. Tell them what you want to pay for it, and they may just say ok. They did for me . . .
    unfortunately, the (local) station that i listen too is not available on XM

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    Can't those exact same problems be caused by a metalic tint or a poor tint install that damaged some of the wires? Might be worth checking out.
    my tint has been scheduled for the first week of next month, so, that's not possible at this point.
    also, the tint that will be installed is madico wincos, which is non metallic. so it shouldn't be a problem once that's on either.

where is customer support? they pop up in almost all other threads reporting problems

J.

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

My FM reception has been excellent....especially the HD stations, which we have plenty of in the Cleveland area. Between HD FM and my Pandora, I have no need of XM paid radio....

Bullsweet is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS - 2.0T Performance
    My FM is a little crappy also. It jumps back and forth between analog and HD. The HD sounds better but because it never stays in HD for long it's annoying. I'm not sure if it is the car or the signal but when I'm listening to FM I prefer my other car or the apps on my phone.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Bullsweet View Post
    My FM is a little crappy also. It jumps back and forth between analog and HD. The HD sounds better but because it never stays in HD for long it's annoying. I'm not sure if it is the car or the signal but when I'm listening to FM I prefer my other car or the apps on my phone.
    Hello Bullsweet,

I am looking into this issue for you and will get back with you as soon as I have the accurate information. If you would like, you can contact the CUE Infotainment system at 855-428-3669; hours of operation are Monday to Friday 8:00am to 10:00pm EST; Saturday 8:00am - 4pm EST. Have a great night. Please let me know if I can help answer or guide you with other questions or concerns as well.Thank you.

Sincerely,
    Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

flycaster is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    Hello Bullsweet,

I am looking into this issue for you and will get back with you as soon as I have the accurate information
    Hi Laura, glad to see that Caddy is apparently paying some attention to our concerns. However, as far as radio reception goes, I am rather surprised to see that you are "...looking into the issue..." At this point it is rather very obvious that there are MAJOR problems with radio reception nationwide. I have been driving for fifty years and have never ever had such problems with radio reception as I now have with my new ATS. Favorite FM stations here in the Boynton Beach,FL area are full of static or they (particularly HD stations) go in and out of focus. You (Caddy) are getting all kinds of user reports on this issue and here you are saying that you will look into it. Come on, if you don't know the problem a this point and still have to do some research, then all you are doing is putting us off! You guys know there is a problem and not owning up to the obvious is only going to serve as a negative reminder as to stay away from Caddy with my next auto buy.

73JPS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Performance 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by flycaster View Post
    Hi Laura, glad to see that Caddy is apparently paying some attention to our concerns. However, as far as radio reception goes, I am rather surprised to see that you are "...looking into the issue..." At this point it is rather very obvious that there are MAJOR problems with radio reception nationwide. I have been driving for fifty years and have never ever had such problems with radio reception as I now have with my new ATS. Favorite FM stations here in the Boynton Beach,FL area are full of static or they (particularly HD stations) go in and out of focus. You (Caddy) are getting all kinds of user reports on this issue and here you are saying that you will look into it. Come on, if you don't know the problem a this point and still have to do some research, then all you are doing is putting us off! You guys know there is a problem and not owning up to the obvious is only going to serve as a negative reminder as to stay away from Caddy with my next auto buy.
    I think it is quite unfair to be making these statements. Firstly, SEVEN complaints on a forum does not equal "MAJOR problems with radio reception nationwide". Secondly, from Cadillac's point of view, if they don't start by "looking into it", what is it exactly that you are expecting them to do... without looking into it first?

Perhaps Cadillac would like to "look into" whether or not bad reception effects a certain production run of cars? Or would you prefer that they just issue a nationwide recall of all ATS's tomorrow, and keep them all until they find a fix -to a problem that may only effect a small percentage of cars?

I agree that it looks like there might be a problem, but if there is, Cadillac is clearly not at a point where they would know the root cause, let alone have a fix.

Making some reasonable points, 73; perhaps I am too quick to condemn then for not being on top of the radio problem. Nonetheless, I'm willing to bet the farm that there are many more folks out there with the types of radio problems reported herein. I know that many posts on forums, in general, are made by those who have a problem. However, I'll also bet the house (farm is gone) that there are many out there who never get onto a forum to report their problems. There are many instances out there where car problems were noted on forum for years before the manufacturer did anything about it...if they ever did.

Right now, I do have unacceptable radio problems. Also, living in SoFL, I will need to have more tinting put on (cars come with 70% tinting which allows 70% light transmission, but don't know how much solar energy is blocked...probably not too much), but I can't do it until this radio problem is solved. What would happen if I put on tinting and Caddy then tells me that I have to have the rear antenna replaced? Will they also pay to have the back window re-tinted???

73JPS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Performance 6MT

Fair enough. My experience has been that my FM radio reception has been pretty poor on all of the cars I have had that have had the antenna integrated into the rear window. I should be getting my ATS in the next week, and although I don't listen too much to FM any more I'll report back on my experience. In the mean time I'll pay more attention to the reception on my 6 for the (hopefully) few remaining days that I have it.

jph
    jph is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6 RWD premium

fwiw...

over the last 9 years that i've lived in this area (san francisco south bay), me and my wife have owned 6 cars. out of those 6, the ATS is the only one that has given me FM reception problems, listening to local stations.

one of my previous cars had a metallic tint, and antenna in the rear window, and still no reception problems at all.

J.

Hello flycaster,

I am sorry you are dealing with poor radio reception. We look at every customer's concerns on a case by case basis. If you are having issues, we are more than happy to help you with your specific problems. When we say we are looking into it, it is for that individual vehicle. All customer statements are documented and stored and may be accessed by many departments at General Motors. Please let me know if you would like us to help you with your specific concerns you are experiencing with your radio reception on your vehicle. We do care and value each customer by gathering information and then guiding the customer in the right direction to get their vehicle concern fixed.

Sincerely,

Laura M.

Hi Laura. I take back all the bad things I said or insinuated, as I can see Caddy is paying attention. It's my wife's drive and I haven't driven it much, but I will tell you that there are several local FM stations that get static. I've been living here for 13 years and my BMW's never had this problem. I would like to drive a little longer to get a more specific handle on just which stations are problematic before I seek help. However, I would like to hear just how you would be helping me if I was ready to go for help.

Hi Laura. I take back all the bad things I said or insinuated, as I can see Caddy is paying attention. It's my wife's drive and I haven't driven it much, but I will tell you that there are several local FM stations that get static. I've been living here for 13 years and my BMW's never had this problem. I would like to drive a little longer to get a more specific handle on just which stations are problematic before I seek help. However, I would like to hear just how you would be helping me if I was ready to go for help.
    Hello flycaster,

Thank you for the response. The first step would be you private messaging me on this forum with some personal information. Then I would advise you to take your vehicle into a local Cadillac dealership so the service department could properly diagnose and check the issue to see if they can fix the problem. If the dealership would be unable to fix the issue then we would engage in GM's internal resources as necessary to rectify the situation and make sure your vehicle will properly function how you want.

Sincerely,
    Laura M.

PAO56 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '12 SRX Performance (Red), '13 2.5 Base ATS (Opulent Blue)

the tinting question is addressed in the owners manual and it specifically states do not use a metallic tint on the rear window as it may interfere with radio reception.....not an tint expert so dont know if a ceramic tint makes a difference or not...In the great Northern VA, DC, MD area here and havent noticed a difference in FM reception from my 09 CTS, 12 SRX......and yes the radio antenna is on the rear window......owners manual also states not to use any sharp objects on the window to avoid damage as well if my memory serves me correctly

DavidL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 92 Allanté, 2013 ATS4

I sympathise with those who are having FM reception problems; my ATS has no such problems; the FM reception is no different than any other car I've owned. I especially like the HD ability of the radio.

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    I sympathise with those who are having FM reception problems; my ATS has no such problems; the FM reception is no different than any other car I've owned. I especially like the HD ability of the radio.
    So it sounds like a bad batch of some component, or temporary problem on the assembly line, or random dealer caused problems.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.