Need radar instillation info-Where are the DIY folks?
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Need radar instillation info-Where are the DIY folks? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Although I just got a new ATS, it doesn't mean that I have to pay for things I can myself, ...
    flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

Need radar instillation info-Where are the DIY folks?

Although I just got a new ATS, it doesn't mean that I have to pay for things I can myself, eh? I enjoy simple modding and need to install my V-1. The only thing holding me back is finding out where to place the wires and how to get to them. Some have run them along the windshield roof liner and down into the fuse box. OK, I can see it is easy to tuck the wires in the liner, but the fit between the A pillar and the dash seems to be too tight for wire tucking. If I'm wrong, let me know.

I would prefer to either get a Blendmount and mount the V-1 under the rear view mirror, or mount it on the driver's visor using the V-1 visor clip. In any event, I will need to tap into the overhead console or the rain-sensor assembly. And this is where I am stymied: 1-How do you open the console or rain-sensor? 2-Which color wire goes on and off with the ignition and which color wire is the ground?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

Re: Need radar instillation info-Where are the DIY folks?

I'm actually going to be installing a dash camera when it arrives (lotta crazyass moronic drivers around here, almost been hit a few times)

I was looking at tucking wires as well and I See what you're saying, the headliner is an easy tuck but yeah, the pillars are extremely tight and I dont wanna pull the pillar off because it'll never go back the same.

The fuse box is on the drivers side. See page 10-36 in the owners manual. I'm gonna hook it into the heated steering wheel fuse (seeing as I dont have a heated steering wheel) I'm just trying to find out how to tuck the wires, I'll post any ideas I get

westcoastats is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

I installed my Valentine 1 and used a double tap mini fuse in the fuse box for power - ran the wire( which is a flat phone cord ) up and to the dedector just above the rear view mirror(left side ) I did remove the piller cover and it went back on no problems ( just be patiant and remove gentley ) looks great and works perfectley as far as range and view of the road

bungee91 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Opulent ATS 2.0T Premium Manual

I ran mine between the pillar and the dash, and although tight, it went in just fine (the cable is like a flat phone cord).
    I have my radar detector just right of the instrument cluster, and the wiring is into the driver side fuse panel, tied to one of the accessory fuses.
    It is nice also (mainly just for the wow factor) because the radar detector stays powered on until I open the door, or the R.A.P. (retained access power) time runs out.
    I did notice while running it that there is a lot of room at the back of the dash/firewall for running wires though.
    There seems to be a thick rubber seal that mounts between the back of the dash and the firewall that would allow you to snake wires down pretty easily.
    I think I would have preferred to run it that way instead of jamming it between the pillar and the dash, however it still turned out well.

Take a look at the pics below, I had issues embedding them (I think it's DropBox's fault) so you'll have to click on each to see them.
    I prefer the radar detector at this height (it's super easy to glance at), however sensitivity is harmed by not mounting it up higher.
    My wiring into the fuse panel isn't the best, and not my best work, however it works reliably. The positive wire is wound around the leg of the fuse, and the ground has a ring terminal and tied into a bolt right near the fuse panel.
    ----------

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6xlp7ifk2i...8Medium%29.jpg
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ihifutpup...8Medium%29.jpg
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/pmc1cpnrpr...8Medium%29.jpg
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/phednnyoab...8Medium%29.jpg
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/d8sefj59s1...8Medium%29.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by westcoastats View Post
    I installed my Valentine 1 and used a double tap mini fuse in the fuse box for power - ran the wire( which is a flat phone cord ) up and to the dedector just above the rear view mirror(left side ) I did remove the piller cover and it went back on no problems ( just be patiant and remove gentley ) looks great and works perfectley as far as range and view of the road
    thanks for the info, did the pillar just snap off? ( I see no screw covers) and wich fuse did you tap?

& thanks for the pics bungee I think I'll mount my camera up high though, you're supposed to right?

I'd get a Lidar detector if I could, but if you get caught with one in Ontario they'll rape you on the spot

OK, Bungee, you've convinced me to take a second look at the liner/A-pillar type of install. Could please be a little more descriptive on just how you removed the pillar - what kind of tools used, where did you start the removal process, etc? Also, how did you put it back on - reverse process? And, what problems had you encountered while doing the removal/replacement? BTW, I should hear from Cadillac service on how to tap into the overhead console or rain-sensor Monday, if they consent to show me. In either case, I plan to have the V-1 wire either exiting the liner or overhead at the mid-point (where rear view mirror holder is) so that only a very short, unseen, wire will be run to the V-1 mounted on the driver's visor or with a Blendmount (V-1 would be placed under and abutting the bottom of the mirror...these two mounting are the cleanest if one is showing the whole unit.

Cisitalia is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 3.6 RWD WDT/LPB

Check out this thread with some pix.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...anyone-do.html

Thanks, Cisitalia, but the only thing the pics are good for is showing the fuse box wiring and hook-up. We need to find out how to get into the overhead wires and which ones are on/off with the ignition.

No need to remove the a-pillar. Just plug into the fuse that was discussed in the thread, then push the cord thru the gap between the dash and a-pillar. Then push the cord between the a-pillar plastic and the windshield, then around the top of the windshield and head liner to a point close to the top console. Mount detector left of top center console. Don't bother finding the wires in the overhead console; it is to much of a hassel. It is so easy to go the fuse panel route. The gap between the dash and a-pillar is tight, but easily done when you try it. Just use a slim, preferably plastic tool to push the flat phone cord thru the gap. The rest is real easy since you have larger gaps. Trust me this is the way to go. I have installed many detectors in cars. This is a 15 minute job at most.

I took the time to look at bungee's pix. He did it the way I described, but I took mine to the top of the windshield. That is my preference for the following reasons: mounted higher is more effective for radar wave receipt, sitting on the dash is an eyesore and easily seen by others, mounted high left of top console allows you the best vantage point and operating the controls, it is out of the way and nobody can really see it from the outside.

Agreed, best position is under the mirror or on the visor.

OK, I think I'll try it, but first some clarification. I'll be using the V-1 power cord that has the filter/fuse attached to it. As the fuse assembly is to big to push through anything, I will work from the fuse box upwards to the windshield, leaving the fuse assembly in box area. Also, the other end of the power cord has male connector that goes into the V-1. I would imaging that it should be removed before trying to go from under the dash to the A-pillar dashboard junction so that it wouldn't impede snaking the wire up to the dash?

I have removed the fuse box cover and have no idea where to push the power cord as I see no gaps anywhere (looking up from the fuse box). I need more direction on what to look for and just how to snake the wire up.

I've done a fair amount of mods on my BMWs (radar, factory alarm installs replaced the pillars, hotwired radar and iPods, installed BMW factory alarm system, etc), thus I have no problem if I have to go to the overheads. But, I am having trouble finding out how to get the wire up to the dash. I'm sure that I am just not seeing something.

I would tap into under the mirror, but I dont have any of the fancy gadgets like auto dimming and such lol

I bookmarked that "hard wire radar detector" thread, thats exactly how I'm gonna do it

Yes you must not be seeing the concept. First take the phone cord male part and hold it where you think you will mount the detector. Then use the cord to follow the path down to the fuse panel. Keep the length position and add a few inches to the length. No need to take the male connector part off. Keep in mind you are working back wards and just using the cord to follow the path to locate a distance to start fishing the cord from the fuse panel.

Now start to fish the flat cord (keeping in mind the length you measured) from fuse box to dash a-pillar gap and up the a-pillar, over top of windshield/head liner to the position where the detector is. You should have ample excess that can be pushed further into the headliner to take up the slack. I mount mine with the suction cups on the windshield up against the left portion of the top console. That way the sun visor can still be used, but only vertical. Pushing it further hits the detector. So just vertical is fine and I have no problems that way. Also, flipping the visor down restricts anyone (cops) from seeing flashing detector going off if you want to conceal it that way at appropriate times.

As you stated, just put the V1 fuse connector in the fuse box area, rap it in a protective cover and tape it inside if necessary. Now look very closely and you can see where you can route the flat phone cord up the lower a-pillar and up around the dash gap. Fish the wire between the dash and the black rubber door seal, than around the lower a-pillar. It is easily done; you are somehow missing that part of the install. I must say, it is easy and you will say "duh" yeah that is how to do it.

Good luck.

[QUOTE=Cisitalia;3275129]Yes you must not be seeing the concept. First take the phone cord male part and hold it where you think you will mount the detector. Then use the cord to follow the path down to the fuse panel. Keep the length position and add a few inches to the length. No need to take the male connector part off. Keep in mind you are working back wards and just using the cord to follow the path to locate a distance to start fishing the cord from the fuse panel. No problem here

...Now look very closely and you can see where you can route the flat phone cord up the lower a-pillar and up around the dash gap. My first effort to find any openings to fish the wire failed...saw no openings. Perhaps, you could tell me how I should position myself to see the openings? I couldn't do this - lie on my back and look up from under the dash - because the car was in the garage and the door wasn't big enough. I essentially bent my head down as far under the dash as I could...this really didn't give me a great look-see upwards. . Fish the wire between the dash and the black rubber door seal, than around the lower a-pillar. Are you saying that the wire should be "tucked" (tuck=fish?) in between the dash and the lower A-pillar? I could do it, but it will take a lot of pressure to get the wire to the point where it wouldn't be seen.

If my questions are confusing, let me know and I'll take some pictures and point out the areas where I'm having trouble.

I pulled my fuse cover and took some pix for you. From this angle push the flat wire thru the small crack between the dash and the black rubber door seal. Use a plastic tool like I mentioned before or a small screw driver to push the wire thru. It looks hard, but when you attempt it, it is not that difficult. That first area and the rest of the small portion between the dash and the a-pillar is the most challenging, but very easily done none the less. After that you are home free. No need to have awkward view. Just get on your knees outside the car or squat and do the work from the pictures vantage point. Look at the below pix:

Hey, thanks for the effort(s); which BTW now brings the solution. Yeah, Duh, it is simple to do. What through me was that the fittings looked to be so tight, I thought one could never tuck a wire between the dash and the pillar...guess you can. Funny thing, I just took pictures and was about to draw diagrams on them to show you where my problem was...Thanks again.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.