Need radar instillation info-Where are the DIY folks? - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Need radar instillation info-Where are the DIY folks? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Glad I could help a fellow ATS guy out. Once you start to push the wire in the narrow gap, ...
    Cisitalia is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 3.6 RWD WDT/LPB

Re: Need radar instillation info-Where are the DIY folks?

Glad I could help a fellow ATS guy out. Once you start to push the wire in the narrow gap, the rubber and the dash material go into compression and you have enough space to slide the wire thru. Same goes the rest of the way around the a-pillar and the dash. I used my George Forman plastic spatula to push the flat wire into the crevices and cracks.

So did you actually get the wires tucked inside and not visible? I can't see mine at all, at least from the casual observer that is.

flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

Interestingly, when you posted your last series of pictures, I was just about to post my pictures describing where my problems were. And, then I had the old "ah ha" experience, and I think everything clicked in. However, as I really want to be sure that I am going to do this right, I am posting my pictures to double check.

As the text on the pictures may be too small to read, let me describe them. First picture shows the wire (red squiggly) coming up from the fuse box and being tucked into space between dash and lower A-pillar. Second picture shows wire continuing to be tucked between dash/A-pillar and then proceeding up the pillar.

IMG_4978e.JPG

IMG_4980e.JPG

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

wow you guys are really helpful! (no that wasn't sarcasm) thanks for taking the time to upload pics!

Hi Stevo. Glad to be helpful. Don't know how much you are into DIY, but pictures do tell the best DIY story and all DIY'ers should learn how to do it. BTW, one of my concerns was that Cadillac buyers, for the very most part, wouldn't be into DIY (for various reasons). However, old habits die hard (and I really don't have deep-pockets, just retirement pockets - LOL), and when I got my 325i (retirement present to myself), I screwed up my courage and started doing some DIYs rather than give the money to the dealership (or stealership as many BMW owners call it). So, if I feel that the instructions and help are there, and I think I can do it, then it is DIY for me.

Yes, you did it correctly! Congratulations.

I come from a long line of DIY projects (cars, home, air planes etc.). So if something comes up that is needed, I will try to do it first. A large amount of the ATS owners are coming from German car brands and strong car enthusiasts, so they are inclined to do DIY projects.

So what is next for DIY projects?

I'm HUGE into DIY!! this is my old cobalt SS, not much stock about it, and I did it all it won car of the month on my forum as well

its lowered, got sway bar beams, rebuilt engine, intake, full exhaust, tuned, full interior was re done with moulded carbon fiber, re did the headliner in black OEM material, different rear bumper, full car audio build etc etc etc

I love building custom things for cars and working on them, and its neat to have a new car and learn it all over again lol

mikesul is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T manual Thunder Gray

Flycaster, thanks for the pics. They are truly worth 1000 words.

Quote Originally Posted by Cisitalia View Post
    Yes, you did it correctly! Congratulations. Thanks.

I come from a long line of DIY projects (cars, home, air planes etc.). So if something comes up that is needed, I will try to do it first. A large amount of the ATS owners are coming from German car brands and strong car enthusiasts, so they are inclined to do DIY projects. Good to know. I'm now feeling a little more comfortable and hopeful that my questions will get answered in a timely manner by folks that know what they are doing.

So what is next for DIY projects? Not sure. But I wanted to take off the yellow warning stickers on the sun visors, and posted on the Detailing forum. 76 views and, surprisingly, no reply. Of course, I first ran a search and got nothing specific to the ATS - which may not matter. Also, I posted the "soak it in alcohol" method http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...our-sun-visors) which I used on my BMWs and think it is a better approach than the various "heating" methods that have also been used.(
    Wait, maybe I do have a simple mod I'm thinking of. Not for everyone, but it sure made my BMWs look real cool. I loved the color of the accessory lighting in the BMWs (that reddish-orange), so I went about making all the reading and wheel-well lights that color. At first I searched about buying bulbs that color, but they didn't exist. Still wanting the color and not having the bulbs, I then took a red and an orange marking pen, removed the lens covering the bulbs, and colored the bulbs. Absolutely looks great, IMO. Hadn't done the wheel well in this picture, but I'm sure you get the idea and can see the difference. So, now I'm thinking of doing the same with the ATS, but haven't decided on the color. I have (my wife's main drive, though) a Glacial Blue with platinum seats and black accents.

IMG_2689E.JPG

lol the first thing I did to this car was smoke out those side orange markers and I replaced the reverse bulbs with super bright white LED bulbs

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo Supremo View Post
    lol the first thing I did to this car was smoke out those side orange markers and I replaced the reverse bulbs with super bright white LED bulbs
    Yeah, I'm not cray about the side markers, but they are a real safety thing, so I'll leave them as is. But would like to know what you meant by "smoke out." Looked at the Putco LED bulbs. Amazon has them for $34/pair with shipping included. I see that 10-32 gives a pic and instructions on how to do the bulb replacement. Although it looks straight forward, anything I should be aware of?

I might be interested in replacing the interior bulb with leds, also. Maybe a nice blue to match the color of the car? Then again, leds are very bright and it may be too much light???

The first thing I did was to remove the yellow warning stickers on the sun visors. I did not see flycaster's post on that forum, since I don't go there. I am not sure what DIY project will be next. They usually just come up some how.

Quote Originally Posted by flycaster View Post
    Yeah, I'm not cray about the side markers, but they are a real safety thing, so I'll leave them as is. But would like to know what you meant by "smoke out." Looked at the Putco LED bulbs. Amazon has them for $34/pair with shipping included. I see that 10-32 gives a pic and instructions on how to do the bulb replacement. Although it looks straight forward, anything I should be aware of?

I might be interested in replacing the interior bulb with leds, also. Maybe a nice blue to match the color of the car? Then again, leds are very bright and it may be too much light???
    eh, no other cars ive owned have ever had such obnoxious orange safty cones strapped to it like this one did. I just smoked them out (mixed clear coat and black paint together) then sprayed them for a nice smoked out look while still retaining gloss.

I got my LEDS for $15/pair from a shop near me, really makes the reverse light look crisp, I'm happy with it. The "install" is straight forward, crawl under the car, take the old bulbs out and pop the new ones in

Although I do see how to hard wired the V-1 via the fuse box-A-pillar-overhead liner route, I think I will hold off a bit as my salesperson said that he would get one of the mechanics to show me how to remove the rain-sensor and/or the overhead console lids to get to a hot wire. I still prefer this route as the wiring will be neater.

However, I do have some concern just where to place the V-1. With the visor placement, the visor will have to be positioned in a horizontal position in order for the v-1 to be correctly aimed. This may be an uncomfortable viewing position as it will bring the visor/V-1 relatively close to my head. My other option is to get a Blendmount and mount the V-1 just under the rear view mirror. However, this may be problematic in that since my wife and I both drive the car, the mirror will always have to be shifted about...and that may entailhaving to reposition the V-1 every time one of us drive after the other has driven. Oh well, one thing at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cisitalia View Post
    I mount mine with the suction cups on the windshield up against the left portion of the top console. That way the sun visor can still be used, but only vertical. Pushing it further hits the detector. So just vertical is fine and I have no problems that way. Also, flipping the visor down restricts anyone (cops) from seeing flashing detector going off if you want to conceal it that way at appropriate times.
    In my opinion this is the best location. It is out of the way and very easy to operate in this location. I leave mine in permamently. I only take it out for extended periods of time while parked (airport etc.).

Visor install, the best...

Just completed my install of the V-1. Wound up running the wires from the fuse box (fuse 18,) tucking in around the dash/pillar, tucking within and up the pillar, tucking in and along the headliner, coming out by the right side of the driver's visor and attaching to the V-1 (mounted via its visor clip just to the right of the vanity mirror.) The V-1, as others have stated, goes on with the ignition on and off when the ignition is off and the door is opened.

The advantages of this mount are:
    1. When visor is up against the roof, the V-1 is just about invisible. It can't be seen from the front or back of the car, but can be seen if someone looks in from the side.
    2. When the visor is in the horizontal position (position for V-1 to detect properly), it is still difficult to see as it is fairly well recessed back from the windshield.
    3. If sun glare is a problem, the visor can be moved into a vertical position, but not further.
    4. The vanity mirror can be used.

Visor against roof in up position
    V-1 Up2.JPG

Visor in horizontal operating position
    V-1 Horizontal2.JPG

Disadvantages
    1. For some folks the V-1 may feel too close to their heads for comfort

Advantage/disadvantage vs Blendmount
    1. Blendmount looks a little more professional
    2. The V-1 is significantly more visible with the Blendmount
    3. If two folks drive the car and have a Blendmount, there may be a problem with the V-1's position vis-a-vis the mirror. That is, adjusting the mirror may require re-positioning the V-1

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.