ATS Factory TQ #'s (2.0T), Compared to CTS/Regal
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, ATS Factory TQ #'s (2.0T), Compared to CTS/Regal in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I'm just wondering why we seem to be getting jipped in our new world class ATS when other 2014 models ...
    bungee91 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Opulent ATS 2.0T Premium Manual
    I'm just wondering why we seem to be getting jipped in our new world class ATS when other 2014 models seem to be getting the "leg up" on us.
    The 2014 base engine in the CTS is our LTG with 272hp and 295TQ, and the Regal now is getting the LTG at 259hp (yes, less HP) 290TQ.
    We're rated at the same 272HP however only 260TQ.

I know that an aftermarket tune can straighten this all out, however will void our warranty if we don't "hide" it.

Also considering the front drive XTS is going to get the 3.6TT, I just have to wonder if GM knows what the hell they're doing (yes the unofficial ATS-V will probably get it also at some point) ?..
    I wouldn't think the Regal costing much less should have a higher TQ # than our ATS.

I know the Regal #'s are published so I'm counting on those, the CTS #'s seem correct but are harder to verify.

Any thoughts here?.. I'm just ranting a bit and nit picking but it's just another example in my mind that GM just doesn't get it..

Thoughts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ewired is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 Cadillac ATS 2.0T
    Just tune it and be done with it....

Quote Originally Posted by ewired View Post
    Just tune it and be done with it....
    I get it, but the hassle of flashing back to stock every time I'm at the dealer for something (which is unfortunately quite often so far) is annoying.

Tuning is still a bit off topic, I'm just mainly talking factory #'s..
    Plus this is the base CTS that has more than the ATS's mid optioned engine.

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

Re: ATS Factory TQ #'s (2.0T), Compared to CTS/Regal

well the CTS is heavier and more expensive.. so it doesn't bug me its getting this engine.

the regal still doesn't have the refinement or "prestige" this does.. and its FailWheelDrive

the XTS is a friggin boat.. frankly I found it underpowered with that V6.. it needs some boost.

Its not like they're sticking this engine in the cruze or anything, I wouldn't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo Supremo View Post
    well the CTS is heavier and more expensive.. so it doesn't bug me its getting this engine.

the regal still doesn't have the refinement or "prestige" this does.. and its FailWheelDrive

the XTS is a friggin boat.. frankly I found it underpowered with that V6.. it needs some boost.

Its not like they're sticking this engine in the cruze or anything, I wouldn't worry about it.
    Makes sense, and I get your thoughts and agree with most of them.
    However the Cruze is the natural progression to the Cobalt so even though GM doesn't treat it the same anymore, it basically had our engine.
    Keep in mind too the "failwheeldrive" of the Cobalt SS had stages of approved GM tunes to make more power than our car does from factory.
    Now that we have a proper platform (in my mind, RWD and all) GM has been mum about any type of approved updated tunes to add more power, fully warrantied.
    IDK, I guess because we don't have a giant rear spoiler and our competition isn't SI's and other little "ricer cars" (no offense, I like them just fine) we won't have those options.
    However big boats like the XTS get a performance engine that we'd drool over rather quickly to haul a FWD cruiser.

Again, just ranting a bit, not trying to say anything that will get anyone's panties in a bunch.

Yplus is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS4 Turbo

You're making the assumption that the 2014 ATS doesn't get a bump either.

The Regal GS and the ATS 2.0T have essentially the same engine. The major difference is that it's lengthwise in the ATS and transverse in the Regal. Transverse leaves less room for manifolds and reduces flow efficiency. I think the torque bump is a result of trying to get back some of the lost horsepower. Basically showing how much room for improvement is still available in the LTG. As long as the US only gets the FWD version, there is no threat whatsoever to the ATS imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Yplus View Post
    I thought of that also I just wasn't happy about it if it was true....LOL.
    We shall have to see how it goes, an extra 35ft-lbs of TQ from the factory (ala CTS here) would be a welcomed free addition to the ATS.
    It sounds to me that the discussion normally leads to people saying giving the 2.0T more power could limit the 3.6 sales potential and hence why they don't do that.
    However the CTS did bump the power, and has the 3.6(N/A) as an option.
    However there's no manual available with the CTS (boo!), so I don't know if we win or lose at picking straws here..

pragmatic is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Quote Originally Posted by bungee91 View Post
    However there's no manual available with the CTS (boo!), so I don't know if we win or lose at picking straws here..
    Manual on the CTS disappeared a year or so ago and was limited to the 3.0L engine for the last year of its existence. I'm sure Cadillac will claim they are not offering the manual because no one bought it. Well why would I buy it if I need to get the smaller (3.0L vs 3.6L) engine?

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

even when you could get the manual in the 3.2 or the 3.6 first gen CTS it was not sold in any kind of volume ... try finding a used one (they're almost impossible to find)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

pilk is offline Cadillac Owners Member

The engine in the Buick GS is different from the motor found in the ATS. The ATS engine is a new design and the difference in torque as quoted for the new CTS is either in error or will probably apply to future ATS's as well. Here is a link to the various iterations of the GM 2.0 liter engines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Family_II_engine

Quote Originally Posted by pilk View Post
    The engine in the Buick GS is different from the motor found in the ATS. The ATS engine is a new design and the difference in torque as quoted for the new CTS is either in error or will probably apply to future ATS's as well. Here is a link to the various iterations of the GM 2.0 liter engines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Family_II_engine
    The Regal just received the LTG, previous years were different though, yes.
    http://gmauthority.com/blog/2013/03/...4-buick-regal/

CTSVKINGWAGON is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE YET

Quote Originally Posted by Yplus View Post

The Regal GS and the ATS 2.0T have essentially the same engine. The major difference is that it's lengthwise in the ATS and transverse in the Regal. Transverse leaves less room for manifolds and reduces flow efficiency. I think the torque bump is a result of trying to get back some of the lost horsepower. Basically showing how much room for improvement is still available in the LTG. As long as the US only gets the FWD version, there is no threat whatsoever to the ATS imo.
    Looks like there's a threat; the Regal gets available Haldex AWD with up to 10/90 f/r torque split.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.