Ok this is driving me insane!
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Ok this is driving me insane! in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I am trying to get playlists to show up on my SD card that I can play songs from in ...
    Rongotti is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Ok this is driving me insane!

I am trying to get playlists to show up on my SD card that I can play songs from in my car. I followed some instructions I found where I put all the songs into an Itunes folder on the sd card and then exported the playlists into a playlist folder on there as well. This still did not work :-( I have plenty of songs but still no playlist argh! Who can help?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Bertha D Blues is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T AWD, '13 SRX AWD Performance

Re: Ok this is driving me insane!

I'll be watching this thread. I can select an artisit or album but not a playlist on SD. Bert

danscrim is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6L

When you export the iTunes playlist... you need to modify the .m3u file to have relative references to the files... not absolute. So for me I put all of my artists in the top level directory of my SD card. Then I have to open the .m3u playlist file in a text editor and do a quick find a replace to change all of the references.

An example from my .m3u file was this:

E:\My Music\Dave Matthews Band\Big Whiskey & The GrooGrux King\05 Why I Am.mp3

However when the car reads this file... that E:\My Music\ directory doesn't exist. So I did a quick find for " E:\My Music\ " and replaced it with " .\ ". Assuming that you place your .m3u files in the top level directory like I did, this might fix your problem. So the above line after the fix should look like:

.\Dave Matthews Band\Big Whiskey & The GrooGrux King\05 Why I Am.mp3

Lastly, My SD Card structure looked like this:

SD CARD
    - Playlist1.m3u
    - Playlist2.m3u
    - Artist 1(Directory)
    - Artist 2(Directory)
    - Dave Matthews Band (Directory)

Does that make sense? Regardless of your directory structure, just make sure the .m3u files are using relative paths and not absolute ones. Hopefully this fixes your problem. There was a program that someone else recommended that does this for you, but it's really not difficult to do by simply editing the .m3u file in a simple text editor and having some basic knowledge of absolute vs relative addressing.

Rongotti is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Wow Danscrim thanks for the breakdown, I am amazed that this was as difficult as what it ended up being. I searched and searched and it was very difficult finding a non-manual process to use to accomplish this. I tried your way but got discouraged the first three times that it didn't work, I definitely think you are more advanced at this than me lol I did finally find a free program that worked like a charm. It is freeware here http://www.ericdaugherty.com/dev/itunesexport/ I downloaded and installed this then selected my itunes folder, then hit next, pick my playlist(s) then hit next, then select my sd card as the output directory, select all files for file types, select copy per playlist under copy files and hit next one more time and presto! Worked like a champ. I donated this guy some money, figured that was the least I could do for this awesome program. I would donate you some too sir for the nice write up as well, thanks for taking the time to help out!

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

Get double twist! It's free, it works flawlessly and copies artwork as well to thumb drive or sd cards. Eliminated the headache of having to edit .m3u files.
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/25713...and_phone.html

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.