How are letters attached.
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, How are letters attached. in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; This is borderline technical at best. I asked in the appearance forum but think its much more likely an actual ...
    Hoosier Daddy is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

How are letters attached.

This is borderline technical at best. I asked in the appearance forum but think its much more likely an actual ATS owner would know the answer.

I hate any badging on my cars other than tasteful images such as the wreath and Crest for example. But the ATS lettering and any other lettering will be getting removed unless there are alignment or mounting holes behind them. Anyone know if they are just glued on?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

Re: How are letters attached.

I'd bet anything the letters are stick on (hair dryer and some goo gone'll take care of that)

as for the emblem just look behind the emblem on the inside of the trunk, see if there's any visible bolts, probably not, but its your safest bet to check that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo Supremo View Post
    I'd bet anything the letters are stick on (hair dryer and some goo gone'll take care of that)

as for the emblem just look behind the emblem on the inside of the trunk, see if there's any visible bolts, probably not, but its your safest bet to check that out.
    I think you're right but you never know 'till you know. I thought the 5.0 on the Mustang was just glued. It was glued but there was also a guide hole for a pin on the back of the letters.

I will look in the trunk when the car gets here in April if I can't find out someway before. I guess I'm really just asking if anyone else has removed theirs yet.

That's of course if I can't spell something funny by moving the letters around. I had an H1 in '71. I flipped the W upside down and swapped the S and 2nd K. Yeah, it wasn't spelled right but was close enough.

gfxbt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T MT
    Highly likely that they are stick on. Usually there is a plastic guide that is used (wraps around edge of deck lid) for alignment, as opposed to guide holes (in my experience).

drsketch is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

Note that before you buy any car you can tell the dealer you will not buy it until things that like that are removed. I have done it in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by drsketch View Post
    Note that before you buy any car you can tell the dealer you will not buy it until things that like that are removed. I have done it in the past.
    I know they will do it but I prefer to do it myself. I've done hundreds of them and I know I won't scratch the paint, etc.. For a dealer, time is money. They won't provide a perfect level of care; they couldn't afford to. Their practices may mean they scratch less than 1% but for the owners of those few cars that's not much comfort.

I don't even let dealers remove the sheets the cars are shipped with to protect the paint. They can clean the interior and examine the exterior sheets for signs of possible damage but that's it. None of my cars ever sees a dealer (or private) service department unless its for something I can't do myself or involves an expensive part under warranty. I don't let anyone wash my cars, including dealer service departments because that means I wouldn't know if they scratched anything and buffed it out. I've seen it happen to many cars, even luxury brands. I'm not complaining or resent having to do my own cleaning. I just have a personal standard beyond what a dealer can afford to provide.

turbo2.0 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T

they are just glued, 2 minutes worth of work and they are gone

Quote Originally Posted by turbo2.0 View Post
    they are just glued, 2 minutes worth of work and they are gone
    Great! Thanks. Now I'll have more space for bumper stickers. j/k

ffamousamos is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T

In my experience they are applied with body adhesive (tape). My 05 CTS had the dealer name and (VTXi) on the rear trunk. I removed them using a piece of fishing line. Take the fishing line and use a sawing motion simply remove the letters. Use some adhesive remover to get the residue off.

At work we put the XTS, the "P" in platinum and "4" on with just the glue thats on the backing. If thats how we apply the cadillac ATS emblems then I cant see the ATS ones being anything different.

Some goof put them on crooked so I had to take it off at the end of the line, buff the paint and re apply them I just used some fishing string and a heat gun (carefully ) and then give it a good buffing with scratch remover or the finest of fine buffing compounds.

mikesul is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T manual Thunder Gray

I used dental floss to remove these type of letters. Then goo-b-gone to clean up the adhesive and not harm the paint.

cztrammell is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

lol I thought about this over the weekend. The dealer crest was driving me crazy and that came off without any effort. After that, the rear badging didn't look too bad - not messy. But, I had detailed and waxed it later in the weekend, and realized how annoying it was to work around clearing the wax from it. Next weekend, they definitely come off.

Fraggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    I've been wondering if anyone was going to debadge an ATS. I'm thinking about it, but kinda like the lettering. The car is still so rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraggy View Post
    I've been wondering if anyone was going to debadge an ATS. I'm thinking about it, but kinda like the lettering. The car is still so rare.
    I definitely am going to remove the lettering; that's why I started this thread. I do it for every vehicle I buy unless it would leave holes to patch. As for badges, its a case by case situation. I like the wreath and crest, so the ATS keeps those. A local dealer (not mine) actually adds one on each C pillar and it looks good.

I do it to every vehicle as well, but for this one I'm more inclined to leave them on, I know why you remove them, looks cleaner and easier to wax. But this cars still so new, and I like the sharp bolt font

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.