Non-surround sound
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Non-surround sound in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Hi first time post. Purchased my ATS 2 weeks ago and love the car, however, am I the only person ...
    Rick S is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6 Luxury

Non-surround sound

Hi first time post. Purchased my ATS 2 weeks ago and love the car, however, am I the only person disappointed for paying for a 10 speaker "surround system" that wont play surround (DVDA / DTS) disks ? From what I'm gathering the upgraded Bose surround system only plays fake surround or DSP. I could have bought another Acura and gotten what was advertised and payed for.
    While mp3s are nice and easy they are in no way a match in quality to what this system could have been capable of.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rsf507 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2.0T 2013 ATS Performance Black raven with Morello Red (:

Re: Non-surround sound

I just picked up my ATS and yes, the sound quality is a little disappointing for a BOSE system, but in my opinion it is definitely good enough for in car driving. I noticed it when I test drove and it definitely wasn't a deal breaker for me, but I had a better sounding system in my $28,000 Mustang

03firebolt9r is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T

I like the system in the ATS, i think it sounds good but I think my 2012 CTS sounded better. The bass was much cleaner and deeper. The mids and highs are really good in the ATS as is the Active Sound.

Mine is the 10 speaker speaker system also.

Rick S is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6 Luxury

I guess the point I was trying to make is that it's being called "surround sound". It is not, it's simply a 2
    channel stereo with Bose DSP (artificial) processing. The player does not play DVDA's, DTS, SACD's, or have a Dolby digital decoder of any type.
    It does sound very good for what it is, it's just not what they said it is...
    Thanks for the responses, glad to know I have joined fellow enthusiasts.

Pete7874 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '02 BMW 530i; '08 MB C300 4Matic

Well, to be fair, they never specified that it was Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS, or something like that. All they said was "surround sound," and in their case, it's some Bose DSP.

But yeah, for the money, it is a little disappointing they haven't implemented some of those more established/mainstream surround technologies. I guess they didn't want to pay additional royalty fees to Dolby or some other company.

isakhanyan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS Turbo Manual

I had an 05 cts-v and compared to the sound system in that car the ATS is a big improvement, in my opinion. I also have the 10 speaker bose system that came with the cue add-on.
    rustybear3 and rustybear3 like this.

rustybear3 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

I had the (I believe 14 speaker) bose system in my 2008 STS, which also played DVD-A.......and this ATS bose system blows that so called premium system away! The Separation is much better, along with the fidelity and spatial characteristics; prior to buying this ATS, I thought the bose overrated and pretty bland. Not on this car.....I've changed my mind!!

marktanner is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 2.0T 6M Black Raven/Caramel

I have the Bose "surround" also, and it doesn't do all of the media that the system in the CTS did. The CTS would do DVD, and DVD-audio in 5 channel surround, and would show the video if the car was stopped. Also it played louder cleaner, and had much better deep bass, with more impact. The CTS could do the heartbeat from "Dark Side of the Moon", but I doubt the ATS's system will. A better sub-woofer would help a lot, but don't know how it would affect the active noise cancellation. The system in the ATS doesn't make my ears bleed, but it doesn't really ever boogey, either. It's just okay, IMO.

Rifle and rucksack is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS
    I agree with everyone here and I am glad that I am not the only one disappointed in the system. To tell you the truth I have been disappointed in Bose for a while. It is just a name brand, it used to mean that you were getting a top quality product. I have replaced the Bose upgraded system in every car I have bought, I don't know why I expected more from this one. I think that cadillac being a quality car maker should move to a quality stereo producer like lexicon, Mark Levison or Harmon Kardon just to name a few. In 2011 I bought a Genesis which cost me less and the 7.1 system in that car out performs the Bose by far. But I love driving my 3.6 premium ATS a whole lot more. Just my thoughts, didn't mean to get carried away......

Quote Originally Posted by Rifle and rucksack View Post
    To tell you the truth I have been disappointed in Bose for a while. It is just a name brand, it used to mean that you were getting a top quality product.
    Really? IMO, Bose has always been predominantly a marketing company, not really an audio company. Their products are designed to 'wow' the listener by messing with frequency response instead of trying to deliver a linear response.

Rifle and rucksack is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete7874
    Really? IMO, Bose has always been predominantly a marketing company, not really an audio company. Their products are designed to 'wow' the listener by messing with frequency response instead of trying to deliver a linear response.
    I can agree with that, I guess I was mostly referring to their old home speaker line. I do have to say that there were some good attempts in the older Nissan maxima and other foreign cars where the system gave decent sound quality. Hope I didn't get off subject too much with my opinions, the point I was trying to make was that if the Bose system is offered and charged to customers as an quality upgrade then it should perform like one. This is just my opinion, I know we all have different preferences in sound quality and this system may suit many user just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rifle and rucksack View Post
    the point I was trying to make was that if the Bose system is offered and charged to customers as an quality upgrade then it should perform like one.
    Completely agree. Sadly, some of these upgrades are about a name more than they are about actual quality. With that said, I have not heard the Bose system in ATS, so I can't say from personal experience which one it is. The H/K system in my wife's C300 is rather good though. If ATS with Bose sounds as good, I'd be very happy.

swinder is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium 6MT

There is a very stark contrast between the sound in my former car (2011 Mitsubishi Outlander GT with 700 watt Rockford Fosgate system, now being driven by my wife) and my ATS. The Bose system is really the only disappointment I've had with the ATS. It's adequate, but it doesn't make listening to music fun.

In essence, I can hear in the ATS most of what I could in the Outtie, but I can't feel anything. On the bright side, my hearing is now being damaged at a much slower rate.

Yplus is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS4 Turbo

For me, the 10 speaker system is plenty good. I don't watch movies in my car and 5.1/7.1 technology is not high on my list. I'm glad they spent the money on the 2.0 Turbo and not a 7.1 system.

unclemoose is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD Performance - Radiant Silver Metallic

Is there an uplevel radio? I have a standard ATS with CUE and Bose on my speakers, but don't have an actual equalizer or anything. Is there an upgrade to this? I find what i have acceptable. It could be better, but it's not a big issue for me.

----------

Is there an uplevel radio? I have a standard ATS with CUE and Bose on my speakers, but don't have an actual equalizer or anything. Is there an upgrade to this? I find what i have acceptable. It could be better, but it's not a big issue for me.
    Neuroleptic and Neuroleptic like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.