Exhaust Work
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Exhaust Work in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Hey guys, I am going to get some exhaust work done tomorrow, since there is no cat-back or axle-back exhaust ...
    Rozay619 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 94 Honda Accord / bye bye ATS LEMON

Exhaust Work

Hey guys, I am going to get some exhaust work done tomorrow, since there is no cat-back or axle-back exhaust systems available yet. Not really concerned with the performance increase as much as i would like to hear the vehicle purr... Any suggestions, I’m thinking of removing the large resonator at the back and the smaller one in the middle back of the vehicle and use 2 1/2 or 3 1/2 straight tubing from what looks like the Catylic Converter. I want the tail pipes to look the same as they do now. I am assuming this picture is correct; I circled the 2 in yellow i think are resonators, and the red i think is the Cat... please correct me if I am wrong. Any suggestions would be great!!

Thanks,
    Mike
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

FDNY-L107 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Auto RWD

Re: Exhaust Work

The red circled is not the cat. Just another resonator. I've had mine over to my performance shop and we have already begun to spec out a cat back system. Since you're ahead of the aftermarket, one approach you may want to consider is removing one resonator at time until you achieve the sound performance you are looking for. By removing all three at once, the sound may be too raspy and could pop. I'd start with the center one and work back. Yes, it will take several trips back to the shop that is doing the work, but in the end, you will get a better system. We were thinking 2 3/4" or 3" pipe - I'm not sure you'll need larger than 3". There is plenty of room under there - that is the good news. The pipe routes are also very easy and should prove out to be a nice gain.

Good luck.

mikesul is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T manual Thunder Gray

Looks like you can lose some weight with that rear resonator removed. Wish Corsa made a catback as I always had their systems on my Corvettes. Great sound - no drone. I'll be looking forward to some sound recordings of your experiments.
    You can see clearly how they are all set for a "V" engine (TT6 or 8) with twin exhausts from the cats back.

ewired is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 Cadillac ATS 2.0T
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesul
    Wish Corsa made a catback
    Spoke with Corsa last weekend at a Tradeshow in Dallas. They are aware of the ATS and have plans to look into it. However he did say that the R@D has their handful with some mopar stuff that is taking a lot of their time. The demand of the SRT is there and at this time the ATS is not. I'm going to give them a call next week and talk shop.

Quote Originally Posted by ewired View Post
    Spoke with Corsa last weekend at a Tradeshow in Dallas. They are aware of the ATS and have plans to look into it. However he did say that the R@D has their handful with some mopar stuff that is taking a lot of their time. The demand of the SRT is there and at this time the ATS is not. I'm going to give them a call next week and talk shop.
    See if you can get some ATS sales figures to give them a feeling for potential market size!

exesivefire is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0t AWD
    I'm not far from corsa if they need a car...

before.JPG

during.JPG

after.JPG
    Here a few pics of before, during and after. As you can see from the before pic we (performance shop manager and I) decided to remove the back two resonators and keep the first one ...... 2 ½ piping was used, and a MagnaFlow muffler, I think the model number on it was 12266 in case anyone was wondering. Since the stock exhaust tips were double walled and look awesome already we kept them, and besides I wanted it to look stock!! It's somewhat difficult to see the work he did as he painted the piping with a black heat proof coating, looks kinda cool IMO as you can only see the tips and the muffler.. I tried to take some in car sound clips, but my iphone wouldn’t pic up any sound (cadillac did a good job of removing the road noise too), and of course my wife laughed at me when I asked her to help… :-( The tone is amazing, when you start the car it purrs and doesn’t have that annoying rice rocket constant drone while at crusing speeds! The muffler will also settle in and will eventually get louder. I am going to try and get some decent sound clips this week for everyone, what would you guys like to hear?? (oh yeah, the first picture of the two resonators connected probably weighed close to 40 pounds.....)

Mike

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Looks really good! Can't wait for some sound clips...

exesivefire is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0t AWD
    Interested in a sound clip myself, good call leaving the front resonator, having one that far forward helps reduce that rasp

]You didn't happen to weight the parts you took off and the parts you put on did you? I was wondering how much weight could be pared off the car. Nice work by the way. I would also paint the Magnaflow muffler with the same black paint.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesul View Post
    ]You didn't happen to weight the parts you took off and the parts you put on did you? I was wondering how much weight could be pared off the car. Nice work by the way. I would also paint the Magnaflow muffler with the same black paint.
    I did actually pick up the stock resonators before they threw it in the scrap metal pile, and it was close to 35-40 lbs... i was supprised that it could have weighed that much, that largest resonator was where most of the weight was held. I actually like the look of the stainless muffler and the chrome exhaust tips, besides you can't see any of the exhaust anyways so IMO it doesn't make that big of a difference.

Update on the sound clips, the weather is shit right now, raining and windy as all hell... I'm going to shoot for this Saturday afternoon to get some uploaded, a buddy of mine is going to let me borrow his Go Pro and i will mount it to a couple different spots on the car and upload the videos to youtube!!! Reallying looking forward to trying it out...

Rozay,
    I liked what you did so ordered the same Magnaflow muffler and took your pictures to my exhaust shop for a quote. He looked at the muffler and said " Oh, your using the Camaro muffler". I am looking forward to Monday when the install goes in.
    Thanks again for the research work!

Quote Originally Posted by mikesul View Post
    Rozay,
    I liked what you did so ordered the same Magnaflow muffler and took your pictures to my exhaust shop for a quote. He looked at the muffler and said " Oh, your using the Camaro muffler". I am looking forward to Monday when the install goes in.
    Thanks again for the research work!
    Just curious what was the quote for the work, and how much did u pay for the muffler??

PM sent.

Atswatcher is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Reducing weight at the very bottom of the car should not be a priority, since it raises the center of gravity. Good clean sound is the goal of course.
    Neuroleptic and Neuroleptic like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.