ATS and MPG - What are you getting? - Page 9
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, ATS and MPG - What are you getting? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I took my 2.5L automatic on its first extended highway drive with a run up to Mt Rainier (Washington) reaching ...
    Vernon Cooke is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I took my 2.5L automatic on its first extended highway drive with a run up to Mt Rainier (Washington) reaching about 5,500'. Average for the 380 mile trip was 32.3 mpg. Could have been slightly better without headwinds along the way. City mpg is usually about 22. This matches the stated mpg claims almost exactly.

rage2021 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS AWD 2.0T

Re: ATS and MPG - What are you getting?

Does anyone know approx. how much more you can drive when fuel indicator says LOW? Is it ~50km or so?

marktanner is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 2.0T 6M Black Raven/Caramel

Each car will vary some. If one fills up as soon as the light comes on, then you can calculate the amount remaining in the tank. Simply multiply that volume by the average MPG that is being achieved at that time and you will have the remaining range. This will vary depending on your current mileage, city vs highway.

CZ4
    CZ4 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by rage2021 View Post
    Does anyone know approx. how much more you can drive when fuel indicator says LOW? Is it ~50km or so?
    You can get a somewhat accurate reading using the OnStar Smartphone app. I think it was 5-7L left in the tank when I checked.

After 2700kms, I'm getting roughly 19-20MPG with my 2.0T RWD Auto. 80% city driving

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

after 1700 miles or so, seems my driving limits me to between 23-24 mpg during the week going to/from work in 50/50 driving and a partially lead foot. 26-27 on mostly highway when I popped over to northern VA 2 weekends ago.

right on the EPA ratings pretty much, I'm a bit dissapointed in highway, but that may have been a fact of my 65-75 mph average traveling speed.

I honestly believe that resetting every fill up is too often. Also, if one is calculating mileage manually based on miles driven versus gallons boarded, one is probably not considering that very innocuous note that appears on every gas pump stating that "volumes are corrected to 15 degrees Celsius (59 degrees Fahrenheit), which can certainly effect the calculations in extreme temperature conditions... All of which brings me back to the idea that resetting the "average mileage counter" at every fill up is a bit too often.
    You're analyzing this way too much. Thermal coefficient of petroleum products is about 0.000950 / (C or K)

ie, for every 50 degrees in temperature drop, you net 0.01425 gallons. Calculate that the fact that storage tanks are underground, and even when outside ambient is triple digits, you might be 20-40 degrees cooler down there and it all really makes no difference at all. *maybe* a few hundredths in your calculations.

You're also not considering that the pump's measuring devices undergo thermal expansion as well, and it doesn't necessarily deliver the exact amount displayed. It will deliver what it believes is the volume of 1 gallon of gas.

if there were tangible variations in how much product you're receiving for your $3.5-$4, I can assure you, there would be huge uproar.

Hoosier Daddy is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    after 1700 miles or so, seems my driving limits me to between 23-24 mpg during the week going to/from work in 50/50 driving and a partially lead foot. 26-27 on mostly highway
    That's just what we are getting in both situations.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    You're also not considering that the pump's measuring devices undergo thermal expansion as well, and it doesn't necessarily deliver the exact amount displayed. It will deliver what it believes is the volume of 1 gallon of gas.
    Now the gears are turning. I wonder if the accuracy is only there at flow rates the system was designed for. It would be great if it read way low if you stuck a powerful pump between your car and the pump sealed against the nozzle and sucked the gas out of the pump at great speed.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Now the gears are turning. I wonder if the accuracy is only there at flow rates the system was designed for. It would be great if it read way low if you stuck a powerful pump between your car and the pump sealed against the nozzle and sucked the gas out of the pump at great speed
    Interesting idea. What I will say is, Convenience stores sell gas to get you to come into the store and spend money there. Typically margins for a gallon of 87 are between 5-15 cents and for premium anywhere between 20-40 cents per gallon. That's before upkeep of the pumps, lights to illuminate them, state regulators coming out and inspecting the units (or tank), equipment repair/replacement, and trying to stay ahead of the other 3 stores within walking distance by .01 cents.

I would like to believe that they make every attempt to limit their costs with gas.

jeffroeson is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS Metallic Silver, 2.0L Turbo, Performance, Morello Red

Just returned from a 2700 mile round trip from Iowa to Mississippi. Whe driving at highway speeds I kept cruise on 77 MPH and made passing speeds from 85-90 MPH. Just a guess, but I would believe I had cruise on 80-85% of time. For the eight tank fills I got from 23 to 28.7 on the trip while using 93 octane.

Before the trip the only other tank fill I can give a representative highway speed result was 30.1 MPG. Since my engine now has a map of long distance driving I plan to do a trip soon to see what a constant 70 MPH can achieve.

nc-atsman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS
    On the road my 3.6 gets 26-29 mpg. Around town with some highway I have been 24-25 mpg. My only issue is when my son (19 years old!) takes it for a drive the mileage miraculously drops 4 or 5 mpg! His only comment is "if you have it then why not use it!". Who would have ever thought a testosterone laden 19 year old would desire to drive his Dads Caddy because it is so cool. This is not your fathers Cadillac!

derek98z is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS, 2011 SRX

Quote Originally Posted by derek98z View Post
    80% highway and I have 1,200 miles. 25.3
    I have a feeling it is because of those times when I'm oly getting 9 mpg lol
    So I now have 2,100 miles. Was using QuikTrip 91 and getting between 23-25. I just switched to BP 91 that has NO additives. It is a lot more expensive but I wanted to give it a shot. I'm getting over 28 mpg! I know those "cleaning agents" definately hurt the mpg's

Audioi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 AWD 2.0 Premium
    I have a 2013 2.0 T performance premium with 16,500 miles on the clock my average around town is 24.4 best on the highway is 28.1 all-wheel-drive with 18 inch wheels.
    vwvr6tom likes this.

GJB
    GJB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by derek98z View Post
    So I now have 2,100 miles. Was using QuikTrip 91 and getting between 23-25. I just switched to BP 91 that has NO additives. It is a lot more expensive but I wanted to give it a shot. I'm getting over 28 mpg! I know those "cleaning agents" definately hurt the mpg's
    Federal law (EPA) requires a minimum amount of cleaning agents and I believe BP is on the "Top Tier Fuel" list which has additional cleaning agents?

quaraong is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 Red Obsession ATS Premium 3.6L
    I am getting simular results with my 2014 3.6L @ 4000 miles.

straight freeway is about 30mpg
    straight city is about 17mpg
    80% freeway 20% city is about 24mpg

what I realize is that everytime the car has to engage lower gear (<4) it masacre thr mpg...

Quote Originally Posted by Audioi
    I have a 2013 2.0 T performance premium with 16,500 miles on the clock my average around town is 24.4 best on the highway is 28.1 all-wheel-drive with 18 inch wheels.

Hoosier Daddy is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by GJB View Post
    Federal law (EPA) requires a minimum amount of cleaning agents and I believe BP is on the "Top Tier Fuel" list which has additional cleaning agents?
    Yes, QT and BP are both top tier gasolines chock full of additives.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by derek98z
    I know those "cleaning agents" definately hurt the mpg's
    Unm... No.
    vwvr6tom likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.